Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Question for sourdough bakers

tothepoint

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 7:19 am
Do you have just one dutch oven?

I want to start baking sourdough challah and I’m interested to hear how you balance baking multiple loaves with one pot. Just let them proof and bake one at a time? Refrigerate?

Appreciate any advice

Frummommy138

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 7:56 am
I bake 4 loaves at a time and use just one dutch oven. I proof them overnight in the fridge and take out one at a time to bake.

Revafe

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 8:56 am
I use two dutch ovens. Its not expensive and I stack it so doesnt take up space.

tothepoint

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 9:17 am
Thanks. Frummommy138, does it go directly from fridge into the oven?

Revafe, really appreciate if you can link them because I’m only seeing expensive ones. Also, what’s the perfect size for a medium size loaf?

sky

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 10:02 am
I got at tj maxx for $20 they had a few sizes. (Didn’t get in lkwd)

I only make 2 week. Bake one after the other in the same preheated pot.

I decided on only one bec I have a small kitchen with little extra space.

shanie5

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 1:10 pm
I have a few, as I sell them too. I can do 3 at once.
Sourdough is very forgiving. You can take out of fridge and bake right away. You can let it sit on the counter for a few minutes or a couple hours before you bake it. Sometimes it never even goes into the fridge at all-if I start early enough.

CrazyDaisie

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 1:47 pm
I bake sourdough bread, half rye flour, half wheat flour.

I don't shape them like challes, but just like loaves (either round or oval, according to proofing baskets).

I don't use a dutch oven.

I just heat up my oven to maximum heat (275°C), add water for steam, and bake as many loaves as fit on a baking sheet at a time (in general two loaves of 0.75-1 kg each). I try to be quick when putting the baking sheet in the oven.

Then I bake 25 min at maximum temperature and 25 min at 200°C.

So you don't really need a dutch oven for sourdough bread.

What I use, though, are proofing baskets, one per loaf, to proof them in shape during 1 hour, before putting them on the baking sheet.

Works like a charm.

I also tried small loaves, 100g each, without proofing basket, that works too... (if you need a few for lechem mishne). However, they have a shorter baking time.

SorGold

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 1:58 pm
My sourdough challah is braided and baked in loaf pans. I only use Dutch oven for bread and I have 1and reuse it as needed.

SleepingBeauty

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 2:29 pm
SorGold wrote:
My sourdough challah is braided and baked in loaf pans. I only use Dutch oven for bread and I have 1and reuse it as needed.

Can you please explain how you braid and bake in pans?

SorGold

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 3:13 pm
SleepingBeauty wrote:
Can you please explain how you braid and bake in pans?

Its a recipe that is braidable. It's not a standard high hydration dough like for bread.

HelloG

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 7:15 pm
you can place ice cubes on the bottom rack and skip the dutch oven. start out this way and once you see you love doing it then invest in the dutch

koalamum

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 7:46 pm
I have a round Dutch oven, an oval Dutch oven and four little ceramic pots with lids for rolls! I sometimes make sourdough bagettes and I bought a tray shaped for putting three bagettes together. When I don’t use the pots with lids then I make sure to keep the bread moisturized with a mixture of corn starch and water, or shpritz with a water spray bottle.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads