Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Mainstream Schools set-up for boys with Para/ABA (for ADHD)?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 2:00 pm
According to our SIET, my understanding is that "most mainstream schools" are not set up for this AND if he gets "diagnosed", or even if he doesn't get diagnosed, but has recommendation for more services because of hyperactivity, that "mainstream schools will blacklist him". NOTE that our child just turned 3 this month.

Looking in Brooklyn. Right-wing Yeshivish hashkafa.

Any ideas? Help!

mha3484

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 2:09 pm
That is a real shame. I am sorry that there are not schools that can work with your child. 3 is very young. I have a son with severe ADHD who has made tremendous progress since he was that age and is fully mainstreamed as a 5th grader. I am not in NY so I cant make a recommendation but don't feel despondent. These kids have tremendous kochos.

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 2:30 pm
This makes me so sad. Never realized how lucky I was to have such an amazing supportive school for my child.

Maybe chofetz chaim would work with you?

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 2:35 pm
Are you sure?
My child is in the midst of getting a diagnosis (ASD not ADHD), and I was told that Torah Vdaas has a program to integrate children? I don't have firsthand info, but this is what I was told..

gootlfriends

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 4:09 pm
I don't believe that. In far rockaway there are programs. My daughter is in cahal on tag. 3 is very young to get diagnosed. Most doctors won't assess before 5 or 6 because some kids are just late bloomers.

amother
Wallflower

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 4:11 pm
That's not true. Many schools do work with these services.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 8:55 pm
--

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 9:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi OP here!

Long story short.

Our SIET feels he got jipped with the bare minimum SIET hours and would like to recommend at least 3 more hours in the week. However she doesn't have the "availability" in her schedule, so the school is now telling us that the only way to get him more hours is to have them write a letter saying he has ADHD tendencies....which when we did our CPSE psych eval 3 months ago (he literally turned 3 this week), they told us there's no way he could qualify for ABA or para because he doesn't have that. All of his morahs and the SIET have all told us they also don't believe he has these tendencies....

Is it just me that feels like it's wrong--- that just because our SIET doesn't have the availability AND supposedly there's a shortage of SIET's in Brooklyn -- that now the only way for our kid to get at least 3 additional SIET hours we have to be pushed into a corner to agree to say he has something he doesn't have? Is this normal?

Does anyone have experience with this? Do you know if he would actually be blacklisted from the mainstream yeshivas for PRESCHOOL AGE? C'mon, tt's not like he's 5 or 10 or 15 years old! And FTR, I'm referring specifically to mainstream yeshivas where parents don't have devices in the home, or period. It's not a large pool of schools.

I'm a first time mommy here... and I'm totally bewildered and completely stumped. Any advice would be so helpful as I'm totally freaking out.

No, it doesn't make sense.
Insist on a full evaluation by an Independent psychologist/ developmental pediatrician and only if he qualifies then can you figure our next steps..
Don't go to someone who just hands out diagnoses...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries