Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Going back to school after 15 years

OutATowner

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 12:20 pm
I'm strongly considering not working next year and focusing on finishing my BA and working on my masters. This would be a huge decision, but one that I feel would be beneficial in the long run. I know I am very capable, but I have this unsettling worry that my brain is foggy and I'll fail. Has anyone gone back to school and been able to jump back in? I've tried doing it while working and raising kids but it's not working out.
I am specifically looking at Sarah Schenirer (online) at the moment.
Thank you for all and any input!

mha3484

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 12:24 pm
My mother did it. She decided she wanted to get her degree by the time she was 50 and we graduated the same weekend.

She did a special program for adult learners that basically did a class for a certain time period then took a final and then the next course until she finished her degree. It was much easier then a more traditional college experience balancing multiple courses at once.

Sewsew_mom

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 12:39 pm
mha3484 wrote:
My mother did it. She decided she wanted to get her degree by the time she was 50 and we graduated the same weekend.

She did a special program for adult learners that basically did a class for a certain time period then took a final and then the next course until she finished her degree. It was much easier then a more traditional college experience balancing multiple courses at once.

Can I have more details pls? Never dreamed I would consider doing schooling but my life threw at me diff challenges and I've opened my mind that maybe I'm interested.
But I have a family and I was never a 100 student. I'd love to hear how people do it!

Just One

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 12:54 pm
I recently went back to school after a 10 yr break. I'm going through SLE, Touro's Boro Park branch and find out very doable. SLE caters to non traditional learners and the schedule fits well with my life.

streak

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 1:10 pm
What are you going to be studying? My feel is that Sarah Schneirer really would like you to succeed and will try their best to help you.

mha3484

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 1:14 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
Can I have more details pls? Never dreamed I would consider doing schooling but my life threw at me diff challenges and I've opened my mind that maybe I'm interested.
But I have a family and I was never a 100 student. I'd love to hear how people do it!

I am in IL so the actual program is likely not relevant but you can search for accelerated bachelors for adult learners in your city and there are lots of options.

OutATowner

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 10:39 pm
Thank you all for your input!

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 11:02 pm
Slightly different story here. I was a mediocre student but did get a BA in English Literature… in 1989.

In 2020, I did a post graduate certificate at a community college ( nutrition for sport and performance- cumulative average 95%) and right now I’m taking grade 11 biology (so far 100%) and grade 12 chemistry ( as well as upgrading my grade 12 English ( going into final exam with 99.8% )

I’m hoping to get into nursing… or kinesiology or something. I’m actually considering getting all new grade 12 marks and seriously studying something new. I’m a little all over the place but suddenly I feel like my potential is endless. Especially with 35 years of working experience.

It’s a lot of work, but SO satisfying. I can’t believe how much more successful I am now! Amazing what maturity and motivation can do!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics