Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Inexpensive winter vacation family trip

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 8:46 pm
I would like to getaway but not spend thousands. We’re coming from tri state area. Have a long weekend bh. I would love to take my kids somewhere warm. They would love spending the day at the beach. Since it’s over Shabbos I would need a minyan walkable distance.

doctorima

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 9:44 pm
Do you want to drive or fly? Driving will make it hard to get to a warm place with a beach. You could fly to Miami, or if you want something different, Charleston and Savannah are both warm and have minyan and are near the water.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 1:29 pm
I would fly if I find cheap tickets. I’m open to driving/going someplace cold. I feel like we did all there is to do in PA. I just found rocking horse ranch. Anyone ever been there? Looks so fun. Bit pricey per night but it’s all inclusive. I’m wondering what the kosher food is like

amother
Maple

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 1:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I would fly if I find cheap tickets. I’m open to driving/going someplace cold. I feel like we did all there is to do in PA. I just found rocking horse ranch. Anyone ever been there? Looks so fun. Bit pricey per night but it’s all inclusive. I’m wondering what the kosher food is like

It’s so funny. Because as someone on a budget I’d never consider it. It’s always cheaper to bring your own food. Always. I only mention it because your title is inexpensive and I wouldn’t describe rocking horse as inexpensive.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 1:37 pm
Yes when I've gone on trips on a budget I bring my own food or at most plan to eat out 1 or 2 meals.
I guess it is all relative!
Maybe if you post an approximate budget, people will have some specific ideas?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 1:40 pm
Right, so rocking horse is expensive so I would only go for 2 nights as opposed to going to Orlando or Miami where most of my friends will be headed which will cost a lot more. The best option is probably an all inclusive place. Doesn’t have to include food. I don’t mind bringing. But the activities right on premises would be the easiest. Especially bc I have teens to toddlers

amother
Hawthorn

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 1:46 pm
An all inclusive place is not likely to be inexpensive (although as I said, I guess that's relative and depends on your budget). Especially this time of year.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 1:49 pm
Is rocking horse ranch being rented out for frum families? It doesn’t look like I kosher place.

amother
Maple

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 1:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Right, so rocking horse is expensive so I would only go for 2 nights as opposed to going to Orlando or Miami where most of my friends will be headed which will cost a lot more. The best option is probably an all inclusive place. Doesn’t have to include food. I don’t mind bringing. But the activities right on premises would be the easiest. Especially bc I have teens to toddlers

There are so many options are other Miami/Orlando and an all inclusive tho.

I agree if you posted a budget: (example $750) it would be helpful.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 7:20 pm
I don’t want to go over 2k. Live in NY.

proudmomma

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 7:42 pm
Myrtle Beach is very family and budget friendly this time of the year. Hotels with oceanfront porches,indoor water parks , and daily activities for kids can be about 120$ for a 2-3 bedroom suite. The weather is unpredictable and can range from the low 40s to the 70s. But there are many indoor attractions. Shul is just a few minute walk from many of the hotels. Kosher Israeli restaurant Pita Planet and the local food lion carries everything that you'd want from challah to cy milk! It's awesome!
Let me know if you want more info

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 8:31 pm
proudmomma wrote:
Myrtle Beach is very family and budget friendly this time of the year. Hotels with oceanfront porches,indoor water parks , and daily activities for kids can be about 120$ for a 2-3 bedroom suite. The weather is unpredictable and can range from the low 40s to the 70s. But there are many indoor attractions. Shul is just a few minute walk from many of the hotels. Kosher Israeli restaurant Pita Planet and the local food lion carries everything that you'd want from challah to cy milk! It's awesome!
Let me know if you want more info

I want more info!! Please help me plan! Is it worth it to go from Thursday to Monday? Meaning we would get there late Thursday and would have to leave on Monday. I feel like shabbos is not the best time to go. What’s the name of hotels there that wouldn’t have electronic doors/keys for shabbos?

proudmomma

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 9:14 pm
I think that is the perfect amount of time. We stayed at The Caribbean. It is about a 5 minute walk to the Shul. The hotel has outdoor access to stairs so no need to go through the automatic doors. The shul invites everyone for a kiddush by day. Since we had a baby at the time we didn't go because there's no eiruv.
Let me know if there's anything else you want to know.
Good luck!

proudmomma

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 9:19 pm
Weekends tend to be bisier. Midweek you can have the entire indoor waterpark to yourself! The last 3 years when we were there Tuesday or Wednesday we had the entire place to our selves! Lazy river, hot tub and water slides All To Ourselves!! (Dunes village and the Breakers- midweek)

amother
Carnation

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 9:23 pm
proudmomma wrote:
Weekends tend to be bisier. Midweek you can have the entire indoor waterpark to yourself! The last 3 years when we were there Tuesday or Wednesday we had the entire place to our selves! Lazy river, hot tub and water slides All To Ourselves!! (Dunes village and the Breakers- midweek)

You’re getting me so excited! Can you please post the website to make reservations?

amother
Opal

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 10:04 pm
Just fyi it's in the 30s at night there & lots of places close in the off season so just double check before you book.

proudmomma

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 11:51 pm
I don't know how to post links, sorry! You can google the Caribbean Myrtle Beach or go to any booking site like Priceline or Hotels.com.
It can go down to the 30s. However it's pretty rare. This weekend will be in the 70s with lows in the mid 50s. There's usually a strong warm sun as well.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 12:20 am
This looks great thanks for posting!

Would this be interesting for a 9 year old boy? I don’t want him to be around too much pool dressed people 🥱
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics