Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Here’s something I found inspiring…

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 12:24 am
From the real Tony Cohen.

During a BRUTAL study at Harvard in the 1950s, Dr. Curt Richter placed rats in a pool of water to test how long they could tread water.

On average they'd give up and sink after 15 minutes.

But right before they gave up due to exhaustion, the researchers would pluck them out, dry them off, let them rest for a few minutes - and put them back in for a second round.

In this second try - how long do you think they lasted? 🤔

Remember - they had just swam until failure only a few short minutes ago...

How long do you think?

Another 15 minutes?

10 minutes?

5 minutes?

No!

60 hours! 😳

That's not an error. 🤷🏼‍♀️

That's right! 60 hours of swimming.

The conclusion drawn was that since the rats BELIEVED that they would eventually be rescued, they could push their bodies way past what they previously thought impossible.

I will leave you with this thought:

If hope can cause exhausted rats to swim for that long, what could a belief in yourself and your abilities, do for you?

*Remember what you’re capable of. Remember why you’re here.

Keep swimming.

momof2+?

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 12:35 am
That is mind boggling and inspiring, but at the same time I can’t help but feel bad for the poor exhausted rats.

amother
Wandflower

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 12:37 am
andrea levy wrote:
From the real Tony Cohen.

During a BRUTAL study at Harvard in the 1950s, Dr. Curt Richter placed rats in a pool of water to test how long they could tread water.

On average they'd give up and sink after 15 minutes.

But right before they gave up due to exhaustion, the researchers would pluck them out, dry them off, let them rest for a few minutes - and put them back in for a second round.

In this second try - how long do you think they lasted? 🤔

Remember - they had just swam until failure only a few short minutes ago...

How long do you think?

Another 15 minutes?

10 minutes?

5 minutes?

No!

60 hours! 😳

That's not an error. 🤷🏼‍♀️

That's right! 60 hours of swimming.

The conclusion drawn was that since the rats BELIEVED that they would eventually be rescued, they could push their bodies way past what they previously thought impossible.

I will leave you with this thought:

If hope can cause exhausted rats to swim for that long, what could a belief in yourself and your abilities, do for you?

*Remember what you’re capable of. Remember why you’re here.

Keep swimming.

Thank you for sharing! Wow!!

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 2:01 am
Ouch. I just can’t read that. Poor animals.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 5:10 pm
Here’s a story about the devil going out of business. Someone goes in and says he’ll buy all his best tools, temptation, jealousy, so on. Devil said the best tool he uses is DISCOURAGEMENT. Once you buy that, the rest just falls into place. He’s got you right where he wants you.
Sometimes it isn’t getting through the day, it’s getting though the minute.

Heard from Margaret Richardson, a friend.

amother
Bluebell

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 5:23 pm
Wow, omg. Can you post a link to the study?
Truly fascinating.

amother
Viola

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 7:07 pm
amother [ Hunter ] wrote:
Ouch. I just can’t read that. Poor animals.

Same. Sorry. I didn't find that inspirational, I felt it was cruel. I know we experiment on rats all the time. I try not to think about it and when the goal is developing medication that will save or even improve a human life I figure the end justifies the means. But this is cruelty for what? A psychological study? We're not rats. We have circulatory systems, digestive systems, respiratory systems that are similar to theirs but I can't help feeling it's a stretch to compare the psyche of a rat to that of a human.

amother
Bluebell

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 11:23 pm
Can you please post a link to the study? So interesting.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 11:27 pm
See how much strength our children get from us being there for them?

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 1:25 am
Curt richter did many studies and I can’t find the one referenced although I do see many references to it in other papers. I believe that the topic may have been the study of sudden death in humans and the effects of our psychology on that. There are critiques saying that the results have been anthropomophized and thus not valid. I see their point.

Many pay walls as well. Sorry. I believe it exists but can’t post a reference to it.

Sad to say though that I didn’t think to look it up before that suggestion was made.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise