Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Man Verbally attacked a mother for breastfeeding in Target
Previous  1  2  3  4

pond user

Post Fri, Jun 17 2016, 3:22 am
I personally don't think milk is gross on the level that urine is, but it is a bodily fluid and should be treated as such re: sanitation.

Ora, I think you couldn't be more misguided than that. Breast milk is a sanitary product and should be fed to your baby in a sanitary environment. Not some disgusting restroom.

Also, you should be aware that unlike urine, breast milk is so pure and healthy that people worldwide use it to clear babies of eye infections and other ailments.

If you're so afraid of other people's breast milk touching you, I suggest you don't suck directly from the nipples. Unlike urine, breastmilk does not splash over whoever is within close proximity.

water_bear88

Post Fri, Jun 17 2016, 3:41 am
pond user wrote:
I personally don't think milk is gross on the level that urine is, but it is a bodily fluid and should be treated as such re: sanitation.

Ora, I think you couldn't be more misguided than that. Breast milk is a sanitary product and should be fed to your baby in a sanitary environment. Not some disgusting restroom.

Also, you should be aware that unlike urine, breast milk is so pure and healthy that people worldwide use it to clear babies of eye infections and other ailments.

If you're so afraid of other people's breast milk touching you, I suggest you don't suck directly from the nipples. Unlike urine, breastmilk does not splash over whoever is within close proximity.

Great except for the last sentence- I'm glad you've never dealt with overactive letdown, but some women do have to deal with mess. Again, so long as you're not drinking it or rubbing it on open sores or mucous membranes, you are not going to catch anything from someone else's breastmilk- even if it splashes.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jun 17 2016, 3:50 am
For the record, urine is not toxic and potable water can be extracted from it.

But why are we discussing bodily fluids? A mother of a baby needs to nurse the baby. To find a quiet seat to the side is normal and respectful of herself and others.
Those who nerve totally exposed to make a statement I find nauseating, they are not being nurturing, rather political or confrontational.

That said, I was once at a women's beach and needed to nurse my baby. I looked down and laughed, I was covering myself as usual, but I was far from tznius!

As everyone said, the guy has problems.

pickle321

Post Fri, Jun 17 2016, 4:34 am
https://youtu.be/-dw2XHMUnyE

ora_43

Post Fri, Jun 17 2016, 6:10 am
water_bear88 wrote:
Nobody said it in so many words, but I'm weirded out by the general disgust at what is the normal and natural food of human babies. It is food. Period.

I've said at least once that I'm guessing at why some people are disturbed by witnessing nursing. I'm not sure how much more clear I can be.

Quote:
It needs little more regard to sanitation than cow's milk (assuming you're not planning on drinking it yourself),

Most people only drink pasteurized cow's milk.

ora_43

Post Fri, Jun 17 2016, 6:12 am
pond user wrote:

Straw man much? Where did anyone say women should nurse their babies in bathrooms?

Although that said, there's no risk of germs if a woman sits in a restroom while nursing. It's not like the baby is coming into contact with the toilet in any way.

I'm not sure what you mean by "a sanitary product." When I point out that breast milk is a bodily fluid, I'm not saying it's objectively icky and bad. Bodily fluids are good. We'd all die without them.

esther09

Post Fri, Jun 17 2016, 7:30 am
sourstix wrote:
I am not even discussing tznius. its self respect. why doesnt she have some self respect to keep her body to herself. its basic self respect. people also dont think how others feel they just do what they want. . im just wondering what else they think is ok for others to see. the mans behavior is certainly not ok.

problem is feminism tells you to be proud but forgets to tell you you have dignity and self respect

Rolling Eyes Actually, feminism has nothing to do with pride, dignity or self-respect. Feminism "tells you" that women deserve to have the same rights as men - get paid for the same work, vote, be able to get a credit card or take out a loan without her husband. If you're so disdainful toward feminism, I can think of some great countries in the Middle East who are anti-feminism, as well.

Laiya

Post Fri, Jun 17 2016, 9:18 am
Fox wrote:
Please, please don't snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Everyone agrees that this guy was crazy and that the mom was not behaving inappropriately, even if many of us might have covered up a bit more.

But when you start extrapolating various psychological issues from people's reactions, you're significantly weakening the case.

I happen to be uncomfortable seeing women nurse, even discreetly, because I suffered from severe D-MER. Even though I'm l-o-n-g past baby-feeding days, I still get a slightly clammy, nauseated feeling when I see someone nursing. It's really just a conditioned reflex, and obviously, it'smy problem -- I don't run around trying to prevent people from nursing in my presence. If I'm really badly affected in a particular situation, I just excuse myself.

But having been severely bullied by lactation consultants, etc., back in the day, I tend to get very feisty when people want to draw broad conclusions. Stick to making the argument that women should feel comfortable nursing in public. Don't get into the business of psychoanalyzing the naysayers.

Fox, I'm sorry for your experiences.

There's a huge difference between saying, "Watching someone nurse makes me uncomfortable", and the degrees of abuse that these people are heaping on nursing moms.

Their behavior is puzzling and bizarre.

singleagain

Post Fri, Jun 17 2016, 10:00 am
pickle321 wrote:
https://youtu.be/-dw2XHMUnyE

This is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. Thank you for sharing.

yksraya

Post Fri, Jun 17 2016, 11:25 am
He is wrong for attacking her, and she can nurse where she wants when she wants. He has the choice of not staring at her and/or walk away, it's none of his business.

As a frum woman, I do cover up when I nurse, I do however nurse where I feel comfortable, wether in public or not, and I usually do find a seat or bench if I can as opposed to the bathroom, the germs are not good for baby and no seats there (unless u use the toilet seat, ewwww!)
I do sometimes go into fitting roomd if I find nowhere else to sit down, and there it's private too.

However, just as any other non frum woman can wear a bikini etc or any other immodest stuff, I don't see why she can't nurse her baby and expose too.

Volunteer

Post Fri, Jun 17 2016, 11:54 am
Here's a funny and helpful guide on how to breastfeed appropriately. Enjoy!

How To Breastfeed Appropriately

flowerpower

Post Fri, Jun 17 2016, 12:01 pm
I was once at a none jewish hair salon where my girls were having their hair done. I had a 3 week old that needed to eat(each kids hair was taking a while). I was about to start nursing discreetly( covering up) and the owner gave me such a yelling to go to the bathroom. There were no men there and I couldn't leave my little girls alone.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 7:26 am
ETA: What happened to that really funny video? It was great!

Everyone knows that the only reason breasts were created is to make men happy, and the only proper place for that is p0rn.

Can't Believe It Banging head Mad /sarcasm

You can't even say "Men are just that way", because it's cultural. There are groups of people all over the world that do not zexualize breasts. Walking around topless does not excite anyone. Amazon tribes are a perfect example of this.

It's only Western cultures that shame women's bodies in that department. Combine that with the booming industry in breast implants, and the double standard is pretty disgusting. No wonder developing teens have such conflicting feelings about their changing bodies!
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics