Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
I want to cry -no idea what to do ADHD? PANS? PANDAS?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 11 2021, 10:05 pm
My dear son is very sweet but is troubled with
Anxiety, defiant, oppositional, hitting when he doesn't get his way, low self esteem. Being a bit explosive emotionally all of a sudden when there is a miscommunication. Everyone prefers his little brother I think because when he wants more attention he annoys the person and pushes his buttons. Family has a strong history of asd and mental disorders depression, anxiety, learning disabilities, ADHD, etc. and allergies. After reading about ADHD I suspect my DS has ADHD. Im so lost, I believe in the pandas/pans possibility. Again so lost, dont know where to start or where to turn. I have no experience with any of these issues until a few years ago when I got married and met my husbands family.

amother
DarkRed

Post Sat, Dec 11 2021, 10:19 pm
Why don’t you start with a neuropsych eval?

I’m usually telling everyone to explore pans and pandas as a possible root cause of their child’s behavioral challenges but it’s a very involved route to take and you need to be ready to do the legwork.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 11 2021, 10:29 pm
amother [ DarkRed ] wrote:
Why don’t you start with a neuropsych eval?

I’m usually telling everyone to explore pans and pandas as a possible root cause of their child’s behavioral challenges but it’s a very involved route to take and you need to be ready to do the legwork.
how do I get a nueropsych eval. I did an eval by the DOE but I dont think they did a full eval. What does the nueropsych eval look for, how can it help?

amother
DarkRed

Post Sat, Dec 11 2021, 10:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
how do I get a nueropsych eval. I did an eval by the DOE but I dont think they did a full eval. What does the nueropsych eval look for, how can it help?
It can help you zone in on where he’s struggling, possibly get a diagnosis, recommendations for how to help his specific weaknesses and possibly medication if you want to go down that route. Where are you located? I’m sure some other posters can recommend a neuropsychologist in your area.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 11 2021, 10:39 pm
NY

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 7:17 pm
What are some natural approaches

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 7:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Lots of fiber, lots of iron rich foods, in general an anti inflammatory diet, give probiotics and/or fermented foods, vitamin c and d. these are just some basics.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 7:42 pm
What did the DOE say?

amother
DarkRed

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 8:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is a great book. Very basic, doable plan, explains everything in simple terms https://www.amazon.com/Finally.....96590

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 13 2021, 8:15 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
What did the DOE say?
doe said teacher said ther are no problems in school so , no need. Bit the teacher did tell ME of problems so I was surprised she didnt say the same to the doe. Doe also said dc could help with executive functioning, but without a diagnosis there is nothing to check off services for. I was confused at that point because I thought the DOE was to evaluate for needs or diagnosis. Apparently I was wrong.

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Dec 13 2021, 8:38 pm
The DOE does a psycho educational eval. A neuropsych eval is way more in depth. It's usually a 3 session eval.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 13 2021, 8:41 pm
amother [ Crocus ] wrote:
The DOE does a psycho educational eval. A neuropsych eval is way more in depth. It's usually a 3 session eval.
do neurophycs take ins?

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Dec 13 2021, 8:49 pm
You can start with a blood test to test for strep titres, mono, lyme, and mycoplasma and others. You can always try giving advil like 1 pill in the am and 1 in the evening. If that helps you know it likely pans/pandas and antibiotics is the way to go.

Beyou

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 4:44 pm
Have you ever heard of the Nurtured Heart Approach (created by Howard Glasser)? You asked about natural approaches and this one fits the bill. The basic premise is that most kids who behave like that have brains that work just fine; they're kids with higher intensity and a higher need for attention, going about their relationship-seeking poorly. The recommendation is to change the METHODS we use with them (which he goes into in detail) and thereby help them use their intensity to be great instead of difficult. If you're into trying non-med approaches first, you may find your yeshua here. The only thing is that you'd need to really practice this way in earnest to give it a fair chance to turn things around. I think the easiest ways to learn how to do it are either to buy one of the Nurtured Heart Approach books (available online), or else take a course in it (probably also offered online). B'hatzlachah!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)