Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Is there or isn't there a shortage of moros??? + update :)
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 5:52 pm
Regarding he song, image sitting down with machatonim to plan a wedding and your side offers far less, but you’ll write the songs?

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 5:55 pm
amother [ Strawberry ] wrote:
What bothers me the most WRT totally inexperienced teachers is a 19 year old new graduate teaching 17 year old high schoolers. I just can’t see it going well… maybe I’m wrong

Usually it isn't 19 year old brand new sem grads teaching the high school seniors, though. It's more elementary and middle school. Maybe 9th graders.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 6:56 pm
https://matzav.com/stepping-up.....ries/

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 7:01 pm
Do most of you feel like the teachers you had in elementary, and the teachers your daughters are having, match with the sentiment in the song? Of my entire school career I can think of two teachers who fit. Unfortunately, the majority were under qualified, without the ability to handle either kids who are below or above average academically. The bulk of my education was spent getting sheets with blanks to fill in. That style. And it doesn't seem like too much has changed. I don't mean to put down the teachers - some of them are truly phenomenal, moser nefesh, and dedicated to what they do. But too many of them seem to have defaulted into teaching and just got stuck in their jobs.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 7:02 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Regarding he song, image sitting down with machatonim to plan a wedding and your side offers far less, but you’ll write the songs?

Don't get what you're trying to say? TU raised 25 million dollars so far for this cause.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 7:03 pm
amother [ Cinnamon ] wrote:
Don't get what you're trying to say? TU raised 25 million dollars so far for this cause.

They didn't raise it YET, but hopefully it will happen.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 7:04 pm
Do most of you feel like the teachers you had in elementary, and the teachers your daughters are having, match with the sentiment in the song? Of my entire school career I can think of two teachers who fit. Unfortunately, the majority were under qualified, without the ability to handle either kids who are below or above average academically. The bulk of my education was spent getting sheets with blanks to fill in. That style. And it doesn't seem like too much has changed. I don't mean to put down the teachers - some of them are truly phenomenal, moser nefesh, and dedicated to what they do. But too many of them seem to have defaulted into teaching and just got stuck in their jobs.

Yes. Out of my 12 years of 1st-12th grade I can think of at least 14 teachers that loved me and wanted the best for me the way that this song expresses. They weren't the most professional teachers, but they gave us their heart and soul.

ETA. I'm a Morah. I love my students and my job. I lose sleep over these kids and really do everything I can and more to help them succeed. I work alongside 12 limudei kodesh morahs. They all have incredible love and passion for their jobs. I would say there are only 3 that are a bit more old fashioned and stuck in their ways.

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 7:06 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:

I watched the livestream last night m they already raised around 10million

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 7:09 pm
amother [ Stone ] wrote:
I watched the livestream last night m they already raised around 10million

Applause Applause Applause Applause

Amazing. That is so heartwarming to hear.

keym

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 7:10 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:

How far will 25 million (even if they raise it) go?
Seriously.
How many girls schools fall under the banner of Torah Umesorah? How many Kodesh teachers?
Just in Lakewood alone, I would think there are some 3000-4000 girls Kodesh teachers. Let's multiply that by 4 (very insanely low estimate and not at all realistic).
So 25 million divided by 16000 is $1500.
So this whole initiative, and each teacher gets a $1500 bonus?
And I'm grossly underestimating.
Across the entire US, there are more than 16000 Kodesh Girls Teachers

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 7:10 pm

Yes, I had amazing teachers!
Ones I actually remember things I learned from them:
Pre1A,1,2,4,6,7,8,9,10,11,12
And yes, some of the years I had both amazing English and Hebrew!
In high school, I had at least 6 really wonderful ones.
Yes, some were mediocre.
And I did have a few rare teachers whom were pathetic.
But MOST morahs are really creative, loving, organized, dedicated!

I'm a morah and am passionate about what I do.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 7:13 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Yes. Out of my 12 years of 1st-12th grade I can think of at least 14 teachers that loved me and wanted the best for me the way that this song expresses. They weren't the most professional teachers, but they gave us their heart and soul.

Agreed. Most of my teachers were exceptionally warm, devoted, and caring. And I wasn't always the easiest student Wink

I'm sure Cinnamon didn't mean to open a can of worms or anything, but let's not turn this into a teacher-bashing thread please. That was not my intention when starting the thread. Thank you Smile

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 7:24 pm
keym wrote:
How far will 25 million (even if they raise it) go?
Seriously.
How many girls schools fall under the banner of Torah Umesorah? How many Kodesh teachers?
Just in Lakewood alone, I would think there are some 3000-4000 girls Kodesh teachers. Let's multiply that by 4 (very insanely low estimate and not at all realistic).
So 25 million divided by 16000 is $1500.
So this whole initiative, and each teacher gets a $1500 bonus?
And I'm grossly underestimating.
Across the entire US, there are more than 16000 Kodesh Girls Teachers

Based on what I heard from watching the conference last night and what I've read about Torah Umesorah's previous similar effort with Rebbeim's salaries, it doesn't seem that the $25 million is going to be turned into direct temporary bonuses - they want to use it as seed funding to implement some sort of long-lasting plan that will have a greater effect than one-time bonuses.

keym

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 7:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Based on what I heard from watching the conference last night and what I've read about Torah Umesorah's previous similar effort with Rebbeim's salaries, it doesn't seem that the $25 million is going to be turned into direct temporary bonuses - they want to use it as seed funding to implement some sort of long-lasting plan that will have a greater effect than one-time bonuses.

I heard stuff also.
But is there a plan or just a dream.
Because collecting even an incredible amount like 25million is literally a drop in the bucket.

amother
Foxglove

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 8:13 pm

Even more the reason to try to raise the bar. Let's bring good teachers to our children.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 8:18 pm
keym wrote:
I heard stuff also.
Because collecting even an incredible amount like 25million is literally a drop in the bucket.

But it's a start. And it raises awareness.

People are noticing - they're waking up.

keym

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 9:47 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
But it's a start. And it raises awareness.

People are noticing - they're waking up.

Maybe I'm more of a cynic.
I see people saying "we already collected 25 million and NOW you're asking for more?"

amother
Ultramarine

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 12:24 am
Who is this initiative aimed for? Preschool, elementary, highschool moros? Veteran teachers, new ones, assistants? Limudai kodesh, limudai chol, “in town”, “out of town”?

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 12:29 am
keym wrote:
I heard stuff also.

If they invest at 10% that’s 2.5 million every year.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 12:37 am
amother [ Ultramarine ] wrote:
Who is this initiative aimed for? Preschool, elementary, highschool moros? Veteran teachers, new ones, assistants? Limudai kodesh, limudai chol, “in town”, “out of town”?

The conference panel seemed to give the impression that limudei chol were going to be covered also by the initiative and not only limudei kodesh.

Also, see the following additional information provided by Torah Umesorah in the Voice of Lakewood two weeks ago, which discusses the "superfund" they want to create and the new-teacher training they want to implement. Sorry, should have found and posted this earlier, as it may have answered many of the questions in previous posts-

https://I.imgur.com/oY8iqYJ.png
https://I.imgur.com/JSXCzxU.png
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics