Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Apple Kugel

Side or Dessert?
Side  
 57%  [ 16 ]
Dessert  
 39%  [ 11 ]
Other  
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 28

corolla

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 5:05 am
Curious to know what the general opinion is. I, for one, don't understand how people eat it with chicken, etc.

salt

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 6:12 am
It's a cultural thing. I believe it's American to eat sweet dishes with the main course.
Or, for example to add fruit to a vegetable salad.

I do make a slightly sweet lockshen kugel sometimes with the main course. But apple kugel, I would make for dessert.

BTW how does apple kugel differ from apple cake or apple crumble?

scruffy

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 6:14 am
salt wrote:

It doesn't.

Some things can be familial as well - my dh doesn't like sweet sides as his family never had them, but I grew up on having apple kugel or even sweeter sides along with the main.

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 11:51 am
I serve apple kugel as a side, but I use far less sugar than the recipe calls for. OTOH, for cranberry-apple "kugel"(which isn't a kugel at all and shouldn't be called one), I use less cranberry sauce, more apples, and less sugar, and even so serve as dessert. It's perfect for when we have vegan guests who won't eat baked goods made with eggs.

PSA: In most cake and cookie recipes, you can reduce the quantity of sugar by at least 1/3 without compromising taste.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 12:05 pm
salt wrote:
It's a cultural thing. I believe it's American to eat sweet dishes with the main course.
Or, for example to add fruit to a vegetable salad.

I do make a slightly sweet lockshen kugel sometimes with the main course. But apple kugel, I would make for dessert.

I believe it's the jewish *polish* cuisine which is it fault.
Fruit in a vegetable salad sounds great. Sugar in gefilte fish. No. Just NO.
Polish jewish cuisine is famous for being bland. Nothing spicy or well seasoned. Salt and pepper were probably too expensive. But sugar was affordable... Hence the sugar in everything.... Can't Believe It
My apologies if somebody got offended.

etky

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 12:21 pm
So I didn't grow up with apple kugel.
Kugels were either sweet (lokshen, carrot) or savory (potato, zucchini, broccoli etc.) but we just didn't use apples for kugel and neither did anyone whose home we ever ate at.
Apples were always dessert material and I still treat them as such, although an apple or two might occasionally stray into a kugel or salad.
I guess one type of apple bake that I make for dessert could probably pass for a kugel. It's crustless and is basically like an apple clafouti. Personally I probably would actually enjoy it as a side because I do serve other types of sweet kugels and casseroles with the main dish, but I don't think my family would go for it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes