Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Is spray oil healthy?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:03 pm
I always see it recommended and it's obviously great for weight loss because you end up using much less oil. But it is really healthy?

I'm actually using it a lot for convenience but I don't feel good about it... Ingredients list dimethyl silicone, propellent... I don't even know what these are, but probably not the best thing to put into my body...

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:06 pm
The propellant doesn't stay on the pan, it just pushes the spray out. Dimethyl silicone prevents the spray from foaming. Some brands don't have it.

amother
Hawthorn

amother [ OP ] wrote:
I always see it recommended and it's obviously great for weight loss because you end up using much less oil. But it is really healthy?

I'm actually using it a lot for convenience but I don't feel good about it... Ingredients list dimethyl silicone, propellent... I don't even know what these are, but probably not the best thing to put into my body...

Absolutely not healthy. You can buy some without this or buy an oil mister and put the oil of your choice in.

amother
Dimgray

You can use non aerosol with no additives, evoo or avocado oil. But really I’m not sure the entire premise of less oil is healthy.

mha3484

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:07 pm
I think it depends on the brand. I get one at my local store that the only ingredient is extra virgin olive oil and soy lechtin for the non stick component. No propellant. I use it for things that I want to fake fry like baked eggrolls or air fried food. I dont use it for everything.

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:09 pm
amother [ Dimgray ] wrote:
You can use non aerosol with no additives, evoo or avocado oil. But really I’m not sure the entire premise of less oil is healthy.

Yeah, a lot of the hype is from the low fat trend, which turns out is just wrong. But I personally use spray oil because I don't like the taste of oily food.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:11 pm
amother [ Outerspace ] wrote:
Yeah, a lot of the hype is from the low fat trend, which turns out is just wrong. But I personally use spray oil because I don't like the taste of oily food.

Ooh, you took the words out of my mouth Very Happy
I use spray oil because I absolutely hate oily food.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:12 pm
amother [ Hawthorn ] wrote:
Absolutely not healthy. You can buy some without this or buy an oil mister and put the oil of your choice in.

I actually once got myself a mister and put in my own oil... but I had to pump before spraying and got sick of it after a while

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I actually once got myself a mister and put in my own oil... but I had to pump before spraying and got sick of it after a while

This one doesn't require pumping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

I use spray because I don't like too much oil in sauteeing foods. The oil used in commercial products are probably lower quality, but not really unhealthy. OTOH, the sprayer is cheaper.

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:41 pm
Buy a refillable, non-aerosol spray bottle and fill it with the oil of your choice. No solvents or propellants to worry about. Make sure you get a bottle designed for spraying food oil, so you know that the material it's made of is food-safe. Spray bottles meant for cleaning supplies and hair products are not necessarily food-grade and may leach toxic substances into the oil.

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:44 pm
What brand of oil sprayer is good?

Sewsew_mom

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:47 pm
Evo Oil Sprayer Bottle, Non-Aerosol for Olive Cooking Oils, 18-Ounce Capacity, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y.....psc=1

Best one
They have diff sizes and I see diff colors now.
Also. Available at bed bath and beyond

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 1:48 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

I use spray because I don't like too much oil in sauteeing foods. The oil used in commercial products are probably lower quality, but not really unhealthy. OTOH, the sprayer is cheaper.

Thanks for the link!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 1:24 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

Are you sure this doesn't require pumping? I ordered it and instructions on box say "pump the cover". I don't want to open and stay stuck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking