Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Recommendations for Hot Water Urn Please

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 9:58 am
Do traditional urns without pumps need to be toiveled? Do all urns need to be toiveled unless from Jewish store? Some seem to have cord attached. From Amazon, Bed Bath, (or Amazing Savings) can you recommend one. Do they all have a keep warm function and is that acceptable for Shabbos? What is the advantage to getting one with a pump? And what is the piece inside for coffee people say they take out? I just need the simplest recommendation of something that will last.
A specific link would be appreciated.
TIA

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 10:03 am
I only buy the pumps because IMVHO they are much more stable in terms of how they stand, and how they are closed. I feel like the traditional urns can be knocked over and cause harm much more easily. We have close friends whose DD climbed on the counter and knocked one over when she was like 7 or 8 and she suffered burns on her body. It scares the wits out of me and I will never BN have one.

advocate

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 10:11 am
I know you wanted an inexpensive option, which this is not, but you also said you wanted one that would last.

https://magicmillusa.com/produ.....urd25

(Other sizes available)

My experience is that the pumps stop working!

Yes, most need to be toiveled. This one specifically says it does NOT require tevila.

This brand is also available on Amazon.

Water is quite hot, has Shabbos and yom tov settings, and is long-lasting.

Pennywise, pound foolish, in my opinion.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Daphne

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 10:14 am
I Never buy Pumps. I don’t find the water to be that hot and I can’t stand having to work that hard pumping on shabbos morning. I’m happy with Hamilton beach from BBB

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 10:30 am
Is there a specific link for bed bath beyond?
Are the pumps just a safety feature?
Can you use a regular Hamilton Beach on Shabbos?

amother
Daphne

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 10:47 am
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c.....89732

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 10:47 am
I decided to save a few bucks and buy a coffee urn for hot water for Pesach.

I threw it out.

Maybe the Magic Mill someone else posted is fine, because its insulated, but most are not. I don't even have small kids any more, but I found the uninsulated, hot metal urn on my counter to be terrifying. I knew someone was going to get burned on it. Not to mention the fact that the bottom was less stable.

I use a Zojirushi pump pot. https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....94a96 I guess its not used heavily (I'm the only coffee drinker, 2 kids drink an occasional cup of tea), so its more than 20 years old without an issue. The water is very hot, the pump is fine, no one is getting burned on it or knocking it over. You can't add water on yom tov, as the light will switch to boil, but I can always heat water on yom tov if I have to, this is mostly for shabbat use.

crema

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 12:08 pm
The pump ones after awhile do quit working as well, but as with most things nowadays, nothing is made to last. I bought a heimish urn just before Pesach, one with a digital mode for weekdays, Shabbos, yomtov. We keep it one most of the time because we want the hot water to be available all the time. However, it is rusted now at the seems and leaks...just in 10 months! I spent nearly a $100 for it! So, we are back to a pump style, but they only last for about a year. This one is heimish also, and doesn't need to be toiveled.

amother
Tealblue

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 11:40 pm
advocate wrote:
I know you wanted an inexpensive option, which this is not, but you also said you wanted one that would last.

https://magicmillusa.com/produ.....urd25

(Other sizes available)

My experience is that the pumps stop working!

Yes, most need to be toiveled. This one specifically says it does NOT require tevila.

This brand is also available on Amazon.

Water is quite hot, has Shabbos and yom tov settings, and is long-lasting.

Pennywise, pound foolish, in my opinion.

Hatzlacha!

I have Magic Mill Urns. Theyre stainless, and while theyre working, they work well, and theyre really nice looking. But every couple of months, something different breaks.

Id love to find a similar Stainless urn that doesnt break as often.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen