Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Harav Fuerst regarding seminary
  1  2  3  10  11  12  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 9:56 am
I agree

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 9:58 am
Me too. Price of seminary in Israel is out of control.

amother
Lotus

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 10:01 am
Can you elaborate on what he said?

amother
Bone

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 10:03 am
Hadayan rabbi Shmuel Fuerst is an incredible person brave trustworthy and compassionate.

mama123

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 10:04 am
What did he say?

mha3484

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 10:05 am
He said that Chicago needs to make a seminary that costs no more then $15,000 dollars and is a non for profit.

This is the speech https://www.torahanytime.com/#.....73195

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 10:06 am
amother [ Lotus ] wrote:
Can you elaborate on what he said?

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

Reality

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 10:06 am
https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

The cliff notes version LOL

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 10:09 am
Can we really do something to change the seminary situation?? My oldest daughter is 10, we have a couple of years Wink

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 10:19 am
I know someone who has a few Jewish institutions were they try to keep prices manageable that is trying very hard to open a cheaper priced seminary.
I wonder if it will happen.

The thing is I see poorer families get huge breaks and middle class families pay the full amount. It really hurts them. But bec everyone goes they have to go to.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 10:21 am
It's long overdue!
I give him a lot of credit for coming out and speaking so bluntly and forcefully.
Hope Chicago is able to lead the way on this.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 10:30 am
I didnt go. A little over ten years ago. Every othe girl in my class went besides me. My principals went berserk (typical BY school). They predicted my doom if I didnt go...
Whatever.
BH it didnt affect me in the slightest. I started a college program with other girls the year ahead of me, had a great year, went to local shiurim at night, developed new friendships...
Got engaged the 3rd in my class BH. If people used it as a basis to reject me for shidduchim, it only helped me find my real Bashert faster.

keym

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 10:38 am
There are 3 separate seminary programs in Lakewood that many people go to.
I'm not in the parsha yet so I don't know how the price compares.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 10:53 am
And it's not just the 30,000, there's tickets, spending money, more clothes, parents flying in to visit (because once again, noone wants to be that
"Nerd" whose parents don't visit), flights back for simcha/pesach etc....
Plus: the means to support a couple in eretz yisrael for a few years, because that is what the girls are brainwashed to believe is their tachlis in life!!!
Can you tell I have a lot to say on the matter?

amother
Cinnamon

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 11:01 am
I'm MO, so it's not directly applicable to me, but I think creating another affordable educational option is a good thing.

Edit: reading amother Almond's post below, I see it's not so simple. I think her post makes some good points and I definitely don't think seminary in Israel should become "off the table" for girls.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 11:04 am
I sent my daughters to the local seminary in Lakewood (Bnos Chaim). It has slowly become a much more popular option than it used to be (the year my 2nd DD went, we were slightly nervous hearing that not everyone would be accepted! They just get too many applicants....)

Seminary (including the 2 week trip to E"Y, but in our case, not including dorms as we were local) was around 10K. That included 30 college credits, which DD was able to transfer when she got her degree the following year. On top of that, it included a follow-up year of weekly shiurim, activities, etc...that they did for Shana Bet students (without charging a dime, though I heard usually there's a nominal cost. In our case, they did not charge us because they had $$$ in the budget that hadn't been spent in their first year due to COVID.)

They had an excellent program of classes, shiurim, extra-curricular, trips, Shabbosim, etc....

Our girls had a great experience, and we really felt we got our $$$'s worth.

I think this can be replicated in other communities.

amother
Dahlia

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 11:07 am
My 2 dds went to seminary, 1 in the USA and 1 in Israel. We are chabad, and the chabad israeli seminaries are way less than non chabad ones. Both actually charged a similar amount, about $17000. The difference is we got a masa grant for the Isreal seminary so we paid about $10000 for Israel. We did not fly to Israel to visit. My dd bought clothes but not an insane amount. She did come home for Pesach. Chabad seminaries don't brainwash girls to live in Israel. It was a good investment.

Unless you have a seminary within commuting distance, costs of housing and food and labour (cooks etc) can be much higher in the USA.

I definitely think seminaries should be non profit and not businesses.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 11:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And it's not just the 30,000, there's tickets, spending money, more clothes, parents flying in to visit (because once again, noone wants to be that
"Nerd" whose parents don't visit), flights back for simcha/pesach etc....
Plus: the means to support a couple in eretz yisrael for a few years, because that is what the girls are brainwashed to believe is their tachlis in life!!!
Can you tell I have a lot to say on the matter?

Pretty funny that you think everyone should go to seminary, but not actually live in Israel

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 11:15 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Pretty funny that you think everyone should go to seminary, but not actually live in Israel

A. Rabbi Fuerst is calling for seminaries in America.
B. The sort of living in Israel she's referring to is about being supported/given help from parents. It's the lifestyle not the location!

amother
Almond

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 11:16 am
Anon only because this is specific to me.

I am a former Chicagoan and know and respect R' Fuerst for many, many reasons. But this one is hard for me. What I am about to say is not, chas v'shalom against the rav, whom I respect greatly, rather this is a comment on the times.

Yet again, the girls are the korbanos. Why are the girls always the korbanos? Wedding costs are out of control? Get the girls at an overnight camp to sign a promise that they only want a bracelet and simple ring at their engagement. Make the wives work after marriage and the husbands get to stay in yeshiva and have all of their needs met. Make the girls be mevater on their kesuba. The boys get to sit with their feet up when they come home from yeshiva and the girls are sent home from school a few days early before each chag to help mommy in the kitchen.

I have a 12th grader daughter who is looking forward to seminary next year IYH. We can not POSSIBLY afford it, cause like, who can? Her school had a seminary night for the parents and they outlined every aspect of the year for us, including all of the financial assistance available like FAFSA, etc. I can not afford the spending money, she knows it, and she works 3 nights a week and Sunday mornings to save up for that. She is going, IYH.

My stepson, by contrast - he learned post high school in mesivta for 2.5 years and then decided on his own to go to Israel. To the Mir, no less. Yay. But he can't pay a dime of his own way. Better he relax every summer and send his bills to his mother. Who sends it to us. Cell phone, tickets, clothing, dira, food, tuition to the yeshiva...

So let's see. The boys get 2 years mesivta and then a year or two in Israel, then come back and learn again and THEN go get married, maybe with some college, maybe not. Girls get a year in Israel and then go to work and/or school, often both at the same time. As far as I can tell, the money evens out. It's the same on both sides.

But if we are going to eliminate one gender from the extra learning, why not make the boys stop earlier? The girls are the ones who need this extra time to sustain themselves through the next few years. They are the ones who need to have the learning to bring into their homes and create the right atmosphere.

I just want to sit here and cry, I am so tired of the girls being the korbanos.
Page 1 of 12   1  2  3  10  11  12  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions