Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Less enrollment/classes in Ashk/Litvish schools in Flatbush
Previous  1  2

amother
Winterberry

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 9:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Roughly what kind of funding per family is being given, if houses are over a milllion?

It’s not a one size fits all. It’s on an individual couple basis.

Reality

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 9:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ive been hearing that there are little or no houses available in Lakewood lately.

Wheres everyone that wants to leave Flatbush going to go?

Lakewood, Five Towns and different communities in Florida

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 9:27 am
amother [ Winterberry ] wrote:
It’s not a one size fits all. It’s on an individual couple basis.

I find this so nice and interesting, that the wealthy community members are doing this to keep the community together.

How would the community decide which families get more and which less? Whats the average?

Do they have to pay the money back and then have 2 mortgages?

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 10:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I find this so nice and interesting, that the wealthy community members are doing this to keep the community together.

How would the community decide which families get more and which less? Whats the average?

Do they have to pay the money back and then have 2 mortgages?

I think what you're picturing is a community fund distributed to young couples buying houses. In reality it's older community members helping out their kids, grandkids, sometimes nephews and nieces. Everyone decides on their own how much they'll give their kids, many straight out buy their kids houses. It's similar to how in Israel in the chareidi community parents are expected to buy a dira when kids get married. Hareidi parents in Israel struggle and are sometimes financially crushed from the financial burden but here it's different because we're talking about seriously wealthy people. I know people in the Ashky community who buy their kids houses but it's not nearly as common.
There's no average amount, some get bigger nicer houses, some have to settle for something less fancy.
They don't pay back same as in other communities you don't pay your parents back for the wedding they made you or the layette they bought when you had your first baby. You know you'll have to do it when your kids grow up.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 10:22 am
My girls' school has been shrinking the past few years. Kind of scary. There are very few sfardim in the school, come to think of it, I don't know of any, but I'm sure there are.

amother
Winterberry

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 10:48 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
I think what you're picturing is a community fund distributed to young couples buying houses. In reality it's older community members helping out their kids, grandkids, sometimes nephews and nieces. Everyone decides on their own how much they'll give their kids, many straight out buy their kids houses. It's similar to how in Israel in the chareidi community parents are expected to buy a dira when kids get married. Hareidi parents in Israel struggle and are sometimes financially crushed from the financial burden but here it's different because we're talking about seriously wealthy people. I know people in the Ashky community who buy their kids houses but it's not nearly as common.
There's no average amount, some get bigger nicer houses, some have to settle for something less fancy.
They don't pay back same as in other communities you don't pay your parents back for the wedding they made you or the layette they bought when you had your first baby. You know you'll have to do it when your kids grow up.

I am referring to askan fund helping non family- as long as you are part of the Ateret members. They give to those who need help buying a house.

amother
Peru

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 11:05 am
The Brooklyn school system is definitely shrinking. Some schools faster than others. I moved out of Brooklyn 4 years ago but my kids were Chaim Berlin and BYA. Chaim Berlin had 20-25 kids a class in lower elementary school but I was told it used to be closer to 30 in years past. I lived in the "Chaim Berlin" neighborhood of Flatbush and most of the wealthy big name Chaim Berlin families had the majority of their kids in Brooklyn but plenty of the more "klai Kodesh" big name Chaim Berlin families including the Rosh Yeshivas own children had plenty of their kids in Lakewood.

I only had one daughter in BYA and she was in kindergarten and they filled up all 60 of their slots but I was told by a lot of my neighbors that the BYA parent body was moving more to the left. I wonder though if their lower elementary is full or are the pre1a 1st 2nd grades smaller than kindergarten as families move out...

I have a friend who is a Baalas Teshuva and she is not well connected at all and she was so nervous to apply to schools for her daughter and deal with pulling strings to get in. She applied to BYA and Bnos Yisrael and said if they both reject her she'll find "pull" to help her. She is a lovely toradik person raising a lovely toradik family and to her pleasant surprise both school accepted her right off the bat.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 11:16 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:

So theres no organization set up where wealthy people do it for strangers, its people doing this for relatives?

If thats the case, then only the relatives of the wealthy can afford to stay, lessening the numbers of Syrians in the community, if the not wealthy people arent getting help to buy million plus houses? Then it will be a community of wealthy Syrians.

amother
Winterberry

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 11:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So theres no organization set up where wealthy people do it for strangers, its people doing this for relatives?

If thats the case, then only the relatives of the wealthy can afford to stay, lessening the numbers of Syrians in the community, if the not wealthy people arent getting help to buy million plus houses? Then it will be a community of wealthy Syrians.

I am referring to askan fund helping non family- as long as you are part of the Ateret members. They give to those who need help buying a house.

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 12:15 am
Op , are you a sociologist ?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries