Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Seminary process
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 2:56 pm
Hi! We applied for the first time to BY seminaries. Anyone that's done it can advise re the process? How long after application deadline do they give interviews? And how long after that do they give answers?? Also, if any has any advice re having someone put in a good word for my daughter as in when's the best time to have them call the seminary. Thanks very much!!!!! May HKBH help every child get accepted to the best place for them to grow thrive and blossom to their truest potentials!!!

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 3:02 pm
They’ll be in touch with you re interviews. No need to have anyone call to “put in a good word,” they’ll talk to the menaheles and read the written references. Acceptance letters should go out around March 1st. Hatzlocha!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 3:15 pm
Amen thanks!!! We can definitely use all the brachos we can get. I know they'll let me know re interviews. We just want to be prepared for the process and have an approximate idea of when they're done. If anyone knows this or other helpful information for the interviews themselves, what kinds of questions they ask etc, I'd appreciate. I know we're in the Best Hands ever; it's just a nerve-wracking process and I like to be mentally prepared if I can so as best to support my dd. Thanks

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 4:27 pm
My dd is in seminary right now. Interviews were mid January for most places. Interviews weren’t hard but we found from my dd and her friends’ experiences that they had mostly already made up their minds who they were accepting and who they weren’t. Interviews were just to check that you were normal. (My dd had friends who noticed the interviewer wasn’t overly friendly, or used a shorter time than allocated - those were the places that didn’t end up accepting those girls. It was disappointing for the girls but good because then they kind of knew they probably weren’t getting in, so it was less disappointing when letters went out.

Your dd just needs to come across as upbeat and enthusiastic, and be ready to talk about why she’s interested in the seminary and what she hopes to gain there if accepted. She should ask girls who already went there what the menaheles is most proud of and tailor her response to that. Also come prepared with a couple of questions about the seminary because they’ll ask her if she has any questions. Questions obviously should be tailored to make your dd look like she’s the kind of girl they want. Good idea to ask about the curriculum, not so good to ask about how much free time etc. (Duh!)

Seminary is fun and exciting but for my dd and her friends, hasn’t been transformational. They’re BH still the same good sweet giggly girls they were when they left. So don’t get nervous. The stakes aren’t actually that high unless a girl has a more unique situation.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 5:21 pm
Be aware that interviews may be timed differently this year due to the US being red. I heard some seminaries flew people out early this week and are moving them up, and others may do Zoom, or hope things let up and push them off a bit.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 6:55 pm
Thanks so so much another blushpink for typing all that out!!! May it be a zechus 4 u and yours beH. Would you be comf sharing which seminary ur dd in so I can get some details if it's 1 we're applying to? Or you prefer not? No pressure. You've been super helpful!! And thank you amother denim I heard that too, just wanted to know what typical procedure is. I know and I think we all know that we never really know!!!! I've learned that way before covid but it definitely magnified that lesson 4 us!!

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 7:39 pm
The by seminaries do the interviews and acceptances a little after the non BY. Last year the time frame for everything was different due to COVID.
This year probably will be too, but I know that some interviews are starting this week.
Most of it is based on what the school says. I would speak a lot to the seminary advisor so that she can advocate for you.

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 7:43 pm
My daughter is in sem this year so we just did this! Have your pull call ASAP! As someone said they basically know by the time the interviews start who they want so you want your name recognized right away. Have them call again after the interview! My daughter told me her principal left to America this week and will be gone 1 month for interviews so she should be getting her time slots soon!
Hatzlocha! It’s a stressful time!

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 7:54 pm
If you tell me where your dd applied I can give you any helpful info I might have!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 12:19 pm
Thanks the one she really wants is Chemdas

Chayalle

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 1:26 pm
I heard Chemdas is the "in" place people are applying to this year. I have a niece who applied, and a niece who went (married and living in E"Y) so niece applying is asking married niece to put in a good word for her. If you have pull, definitely use it.

amother
Apple

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 4:09 pm
A few years ago a certain girl I know really wanted to go to chemdas. She was a wonderful, positive, hard-working, baalas middos... But not a straight A student, and was very disappointed when she didn't get in. She didn't get in anywhere she applied Sad

At that point, her mother tried avenues within the school, and saw that for all their talk of how they help the girls, they really weren't being helpful.

her mother had her apply to a different seminary at that point and really pushed for her, maybe had ppl call, etc

The good end of the story is that the girl had a wonderful seminary experience in her non-choice seminary.

Takeaway? Maybe it wouldn't hurt if someone (one, not many, because then it just looks pushy) put in a good word somewhere for your daughter.

Bigger takeaway: She went to a sem she had never considered and was thrilled. Hashem makes certain doors open and certain doors close... Not always how we want it but always how need it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 9:42 am
Amother blushpink or anyone else, can you give me any helpful information you may have regarding the interview process etc. Thanks in advance!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 10:12 pm
Bump I'd anyone had helpful tips, I'd so appreciate! u should be truly gebentched

amother
Apple

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 10:47 pm
I never had an interview (lived too far OOT, so we just took tests for hadar and bjj)

Assuming she should present put together and tzniusdik. If the interviews take place during school, if assume wear uniform and keep it simple
If not during school, I don't know

If assume there are certain standard question answers be asked, so it would be good if she has responded formulated in her head. There will always be done random question that no one ever thought of, but it would be good to have answers to

What are to hoping to gain from seminary?
why our specific seminary?
Do you have any questions?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 11:27 pm
Wow you're so blessed!!!! Hashem spared you and your girls. I didn't hear from mom's who DID have their daughters interviewed... Dd heard 1 sem asks: what do u compare urself to more an orange or an apple and why? I'm confused... any more experienced moms can you please join in? No pressure it's just so so helpful of you can!!! Thanks loads!!

amother
Cappuccino

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 12:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow you're so blessed!!!! Hashem spared you and your girls. I didn't hear from mom's who DID have their daughters interviewed... Dd heard 1 sem asks: what do u compare urself to more an orange or an apple and why? I'm confused... any more experienced moms can you please join in? No pressure it's just so so helpful of you can!!! Thanks loads!!

Actually, the interview can be very helpful for some girls whose grades aren’t that great, but their personalities can help put them over the top.
Honestly from what I know having daughters in the parsha, most of it is the research they do. Not the interview

amother
Apple

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 11:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I

Orange and apple????
I find that highly unbelievable

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 1:04 am
And she just told me she heard some ask: what is one thing you dislike in other people? And another trick question: what's something negative about urself???? Not sure what they want from the girls!! And I told her: I'm not sure how to advise, not sure how to answer...Hashem should put the right words into the girls mouths and help each girl in the best way for them. She has her interviews this week I believe, 1 today Sunday iyH. If anyone can have her in mind, that would be a tremendous kindness and may it be a zechus for you and yours.

amother
Pear

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 2:50 am
Hear you op. A little advise.
1. Give your daughter chizuk, not worry. IE you're wonderful and the sem would be blessed to have you. And if they don't have a place for you, it's likely just a numbers game and not personal and we will make plan b
2. She should definitely be able to articulate something she is working on or wants to work on. This is good practice anyway for teens to be aware of imho.
3. They may ask her what books she's currently reading if she says she enjoys reading or what she does In her spare time
4. If she's nervous It helps to practice just once or twice with you asking the question and letting her answer.
5. Tell her there's nothing wrong with answering "Can I think about that for a moment"....
Good luck
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children