Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Sour dough starter

abaker

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 6:04 pm
anyone successfully make sour dough starter and use it to make bread. Please post I'd like to try it out.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 6:23 pm
Yes. A few years ago I did it but I got some from a friend and then added to it.

sky

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 6:44 pm
I made very recently.

I used a plastic deli container. You can also use glass jar.

Day 1: 4 oz flour + 4 oz room temperature filtered or bottled water. Mix well. Cover lightly with Saran Wrap. Leave on counter.
Day 2….: spill out all starter from yesterday except 4 oz. add 4 oz flour + 4 oz water. Mix well.
It’s 1:1:1 ratio
1 part old starter
1 part water
1 part flour

First few days will see some bubbling. Eventually it will grow more and more until it doubles in size.

Bec it’s the winter try not to leave in cold area.

It took me 2 weeks to get a mediocre starter - it doubled in size and floated and I Made bread. After 3 weeks was very strong and I started refrigerating week to week.

amother
Charcoal

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 6:58 pm
abaker wrote:
anyone successfully make sour dough starter and use it to make bread. Please post I'd like to try it out.

hope you don't mind me asking.

are you making sourdough bread for health reasons or because of taste?

challahchallah

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:01 pm
What do you all do with your starter for pesach? If you sell it, is it ok in the fridge untouched that long?

sky

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:03 pm
challahchallah wrote:
What do you all do with your starter for pesach? If you sell it, is it ok in the fridge untouched that long?

I never had it over pesach.

I would try to keep it in fridge over pesach. We sell chametz.
If not it only takes 2 weeks to start again so not such a big deal if it doesn’t survive.

abaker

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:26 pm
Just to make something interesting during the boring winter I thought I'd give it a try.

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:27 pm
I made my own starter successfully following this https://www.kingarthurbaking.c.....ecipe after 2 failed attempts.

I've since killed it accidentally but did keep it over 2 pesachs I believe. Just kept it in the fridge -we sell chametz. I've also kept it in the fridge between using multiples times-sometimes weeks at a time.

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:39 pm
sky wrote:
I made very recently.

I used a plastic deli container. You can also use glass jar.

Day 1: 4 oz flour + 4 oz room temperature filtered or bottled water. Mix well. Cover lightly with Saran Wrap. Leave on counter.
Day 2….: spill out all starter from yesterday except 4 oz. add 4 oz flour + 4 oz water. Mix well.
It’s 1:1:1 ratio
1 part old starter
1 part water
1 part flour

First few days will see some bubbling. Eventually it will grow more and more until it doubles in size.

Bec it’s the winter try not to leave in cold area.

It took me 2 weeks to get a mediocre starter - it doubled in size and floated and I Made bread. After 3 weeks was very strong and I started refrigerating week to week.

This is how I do it. I keep mine in a warm place. I find white flour makes the best starter. You can boost it once a week or so with barley flour. I think it helps a bit but not totally necessary.

Good luck!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 7:57 pm
I have tons of starter I can share. pm me if you're in nyc

Rubies

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 8:34 pm
What happens in the first 7 days over shabbos? Do you keep it in the fridge?

Sewsew_mom

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 8:39 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I have tons of starter I can share. pm me if you're in nyc

This. I'm happy to give as well.
I'm in jersey. Pm me.

torquoise

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 2:56 am
challahchallah wrote:

We sell it and keep it refrigerated.
It's totally fine in the fridge for a few weeks.
This is the video I watched to make starter. It uses rye flour which makes a robust, strong starter which gives real rising power to your dough.
https://youtu.be/sTAiDki7AQA

You can also buy Emilie Raffa's cookbook, Artisan Sourdough made simple (I got it on Amazon). Her starter uses regular white flour, which isn't as strong.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics