Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
S/o MASA grants and seminary

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 9:45 am
On another thread, someone said that most seminaries don't "work with masa anymore."

Is this true? Why? Were there rules the sems couldn't accommodate? I'm trying to understand how the schools could stop doing something that is such a huge help for parents without cutting their tuition instead.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 5:41 pm
Bump

fleetwood

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 5:43 pm
Masa gave nothing this year. Perhaps next year will be different. We all signed up regardless because they helped with other things.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 6:32 pm
[quote="fleetwood"]Masa gave nothing this year. Perhaps next year will be different. We all signed up regardless because they helped with other things.[/quote

What else did it help with?

Cmon be nice

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 6:44 pm
What's MASA?

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 7:07 pm
MASA is funding given by the israeli government to foreign students. In the past they would give around 2000$ (more or less depending on the year, one of my daughters got 3500) and fund many of the trips. But it seems most seminary stopped taking it. Not sure if it has to do with hashkafah or low funding not being worth the hassle. You should ask the specific seminary you applied to.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 3:27 am
My dd got about $6000 from Masa a few years ago. We are not living in the US, we live in europe, it could be they give more to Europeans. Either because salaries are generally lower in Europe, or maybe they give more to ppl from small communities? No idea how their alogorithim works.

ChalieB

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 3:49 am
amother [ Arcticblue ] wrote:
My dd got about $6000 from Masa a few years ago. We are not living in the US, we live in europe, it could be they give more to Europeans. Either because salaries are generally lower in Europe, or maybe they give more to ppl from small communities? No idea how their alogorithim works.

As someone that worked for a program in partnership with masa, all I know is that they have different amounts of funding, depending on how much they want to encourage you to come to Israel/how much they believe you'll need the help (by country and age, as well as the length of the program). If you're not from North America, the funding can be extremely significant! I had participants get over $8000

fleetwood

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 4:51 am
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]
fleetwood wrote:
Masa gave nothing this year. Perhaps next year will be different. We all signed up regardless because they helped with other things.[/quote

What else did it help with?

I think we needed to sign up in order to get the visa...if I remember correctly?...

amother
Arcticblue

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 5:09 am
ChalieB wrote:
As someone that worked for a program in partnership with masa, all I know is that they have different amounts of funding, depending on how much they want to encourage you to come to Israel/how much they believe you'll need the help (by country and age, as well as the length of the program). If you're not from North America, the funding can be extremely significant! I had participants get over $8000

Right. We happen to live in a tiny tiny Jewish community, but we spoke to a friend who lives in a large Jewish community and they got the same amount. I am guessing it is also income/family size based?

I do agree seminary and gap year programs can be hugely helpful to people from tiny communities.

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 1:22 am
fleetwood wrote:
Masa gave nothing this year. Perhaps next year will be different. We all signed up regardless because they helped with other things.

We are in the US and my daughter is in a BY seminary this year in Israel. We got a $1,416 scholarship from MASA, paid directly to the seminary.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 1:51 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
MASA is funding given by the israeli government to foreign students. In the past they would give around 2000$ (more or less depending on the year, one of my daughters got 3500) and fund many of the trips. But it seems most seminary stopped taking it. Not sure if it has to do with hashkafah or low funding not being worth the hassle. You should ask the specific seminary you applied to.

Exactly they cut a lot of funding to frum institutions and apparently it's a huge hassle to get the small amount - very minimal for North America but more for certain European countries and South America and South Africa.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 2:22 am
My dd went to seminary last year. First Masa said they weren't giving anything. Then they said they would give something but the seminaries would also have to fundraise. I don't remember how much they gave, I think it was about $1000.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 5:23 am
Thank you for the replies. This is disappointing. I thought they give much more. Any other scholarships that help with seminary?

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 5:37 am
We got a nice scholarship from the local Jewish Federation, which has grants for students going to Israel, as well as a discount from the seminary. It never hurts to ask.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children