Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
DS solids

missmuffetsmum

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 4:08 am
10mo DS hardly eats solids Confused
I thought I'd gotten over my stress about feeding after the horrors I had with DD, but it still really gets to me. There is nothing nothing nothing that this little boy will eat! (And if I hear ONE more time 'but he looks so fat!', I'll scream Banging head)
He usually nurses around 6am, 200ml/7ish oz bottle (breastmilk - he usually doesn't finish it) around 10am with morning nap, same bottle 2-3pm(ish), breastfeed from 6pm before bedtime. He's a pretty lousy sleeper too, hence the early bedtime.
I've tried cereals mixed with compote, cereal flakes, cucumber sticks, sandwiches (egg dip, avocado, PB etc), soups, fruit chunks, veggie chunks, pretzels, crackers, scrambled egg/omelette, french toast etc. He'll have a few bites if I'm lucky before trying to wack the spoon out of my hand saying 'nah nah nah' with such frustration - as in get lost, no more. He can't have dairy as he's got an allergy...
Any ideas? My hands are pretty full trying to get my 2.5yo to eat her food too, so the simpler the better pls!

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 6:00 am
I don’t believe in making special menus for babies. Sit him at the table with you and your 2 year old during meal time. Make him want it. At this age (unless he’s drinking too much formula/bm) he should be curious about trying new foods. Offer him tastes of whatever he wants. Lay off the pressure. A few bites is fine! His appetite will increase as he continues to be more mobile. Don’t spend so much time and energy worrying about him: he obviously is thriving.

Cookin4days

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 6:27 am
Following, in the same boat with my baby. So hard

oakandfig19

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 10:57 am
Having a similar experience with my 9 month old, he will eat some things but he’s very picky and often refuses. Going to take him to a feeding therapist as per my doctors recommendations…if you think it s a texture thing (which is likely) that may be something to consider. Another thing that helps is letting them play with food and make a mess to help them get used to texture.

amother
Marigold

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 11:00 am
Don’t spoon feed him. Put food in front of him and let him explore. Most babies prefer feeding themselves. Tip for the next kid do baby led weaning it’s so much better.

missmuffetsmum

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 5:41 am
Thanks for the replies. I don't think it's a texture thing, he will take a bit of various textures, and it's not like he favours one over the other. Re baby-led weaning, I did attempt that but he tends to gag and then throw up pretty hugely and easily, so my lactation consultant suggested I stick to purees to start. When I do put food in front of him, he eyes it with such suspicion, it's comical! Sometimes he tries a bit, sometimes he picks it all up and throws it straight on the floor... I guess I'll just take it as it comes, but it's harder some days... He's just not your 'should do XYZ' kind of baby!

Rabbit613

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 5:57 am
My baby loves sweet potato.
Pureed soups are also great.

amother
Daphne

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 7:10 am
My baby was the same at 10 months old. Now he's turning 1 (today!) and is definitely happier to try new things.
He likes rice cakes, compote, bamba, yogurt. He ate weetabix coated in sweet fruity yogurt and also tried a few pieces of chicken!

amother
NeonGreen

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 11:48 am
A lot of the things you mention you offer your ds seem too advanced for him, especially since you say he tends to gag. Why are you not sticking to purees as your consultant suggested? You can puree anything in a blender, including sandwiches. That's what they do in nursing homes for residents with dysphagia (trouble swallowing).

Rabbit613

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 1:57 pm
I also add applesauce to everything because it's naural and sweet and makes baby like it.

6000miles

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 2:08 pm
maybe try food pouches? my kids loved that
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics