Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Newborn ear infection

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 8:48 pm
Hi! My baby is a little over two months old and had fever two days ago, yesterday no fever and today fever again. They took a Covid and flu test two days ago and it was negative, today when I went to the doc again they saw an ear infection in one ear and fluid in the other. I can call her cranky, meaning she would get into crying spells all of a sudden but not all day, I’d say she’s unhappy 20% of the day. She’s also a reflux baby and doc told me reflux babies are prone to ear fluid and infection. Question is do I give such a young baby antibiotics, do I try natural or do I wait to see if it goes away on its own but I understand it can get worse before it gets better and I don’t know if to take that chance. Anyone experienced in ear infections with a baby this young??? I hope it won’t become a chronic issue if she has one this young already

amother
Raspberry

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 8:49 pm
Are you nursing? Flood both ears with breastmilk a few times each day. Works miracles.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 8:54 pm
I agree with breastmilk in the ears but I'd just put a few drops at a time.
If it was my kid, I'd also take baby to a chiropractor, craniosacral therapist, or osteopath. It will also help the reflux.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 8:54 pm
Op here,
Yes, I am exclusively nursing. About how much into the ears? Both ears? Never heard of this… is it dangerous at all?

amother
Midnight

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 8:57 pm
I would try to avoid getting on the antibiotics train. Try gentle chiropractic, craniosacral, garlic mullein drops, probiotics, oil of oregano and olive leaf extract for yourself to pass on to baby in breast milk.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 10:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Op here,
Yes, I am exclusively nursing. About how much into the ears? Both ears? Never heard of this… is it dangerous at all?

I'm no doctor, but my understanding is that there's no danger, assuming no perforation in the eardrum. So if you were seeing any fluid coming out of the ear, then don't let anything in.

amother
IndianRed

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 10:43 pm
Garlic mullein ear oil, colloidal silver and breastmilk. you drip directly into ear. drop it in while baby is nursing. cabbage juice also. apple cider vinegar on a rag to forehead to diminish fever

warm olive oil into the ear is a great pain reliever.

breastfeed. it not only hormonally helps ease pain but it physically opens up the ear canal to drain better.

and vacced kids are 3.8x more likely to get ear infections than their non v'd peers. hold off on vaccinating now.

and 2-3 drops of garlic oil is enough

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 10:58 pm
Op it’s very nice to ask People advice and to go the more healthy way… but maybe that’s when you have a child that’s well with a little fluid. You’re telling me you have an almost newborn and the baby has an ear infection. Is there puss? She has fever. Do you realize fever in an infant is not something small or to take lightly and try health food stuff. Yes , it’s ok to go natural but make sure you’re doing what’s safe for your baby. If there was no fever and just fluid and you want to prevent them I understand, but once you’re dealing with fever you need to trust your pediatrician And also be able to ask him about all these things. Please don’t take matters in your own hands in order to go this route .Refuah shelama!

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 11:15 pm
Probably not what you want to hear but-

My baby had her first ear infection at under a month. She kept having them. I took her to a chiropractor and put an oil (clear ear I think) and breast milk. I’m off dairy and gluten either way.

I also put her on antibiotics if she had a fever and it was infected. I know someone who’s baby had hearing loss because she didn’t give abx for an ear infection. I also could not make my baby suffer the pain.

I have a ped I trust and an ENT that’s amazing and they are both non alarmist. Often they told me to come back the next day if I could so we could see if it needs abx. I was by the doc twice a week most weeks. Gave abx as soon as it was prescribed.

Baby got tubes at 7 months and bh bh no issues since. It’s the shape of the ear that was causing it.

This can also be the first and last infection your child ever has Iyh! But know that once it’s infected it can be very painful and if you decide not to give the abx go back to the doctor to keep checking it and or really be alert if she’s in more pain.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 11:42 pm
Op here
Yes, I’m gonna be very alert for the next two days to see if she needs to start the antibiotics and if I feel her pain is getting worse I’ll definitely start it and not let her suffer, but to me she doesn’t seem to be suffering terribly she’s sleeping a good 5-6 hours at night which she’s been doing till now. By my other kids when they had an ear infection occasionally I remember they’d holler thru the night.
Regarding the breast milk can I pump a few oz after one feeding and keep using that same breast milk throughout the day or do I need to pump fresh breastmilk every time I’m administering it?

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 11:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Op here,
yes it is!! Make sure the eardrum is not perforated my niece had a perforated eardrum mom put some oil's as per a friend's advice, it caused permanent damage to hearing

amother
Oatmeal

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 12:36 am
I would ask the pediatrician before holding off on antibiotics. If he thinks it’s a bacterial ear infection I’d be scared of the rare meningitis complication in a baby so young...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 10:19 am
amother [ Raspberry ] wrote:
Are you nursing? Flood both ears with breastmilk a few times each day. Works miracles.

op here, im trying to flood her ears with breastmilk. does it need to be fresh breastmilk every time or is it okay to pump a few ozs and use that over the next few days and administer it with a medicine dropper?

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 11:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
op here, im trying to flood her ears with breastmilk. does it need to be fresh breastmilk every time or is it okay to pump a few ozs and use that over the next few days and administer it with a medicine dropper?

I used pumped milk. Same storage guidelines as if I was feeding it to her.

While my babies were screamers. There are babies that won’t show you how much pain they are in. If your ped said she needs abx please listen.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 2:35 pm
Guidelines are that you can hold off treating an ear infection in a child over 6 months, if they have fever less than 48 hours and if there’s very good follow up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics