Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Fish tank upkeep- please help

Maryann

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 11:13 am
we have a 5 gallon fish tank- its really beautiful when its clean, I have a filter and do all the things im supposed to do (conditioner and starter etc)
the problem is it gets dirty so often (like every 4- 6 weeks) and its so hard to clean it.

can anyone who has a fish tank help me , what am I doing wrong and what else can I buy that can keep my fish tank clean that I never have to change the water?
all tips welcome thanks so much!

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 11:27 am
You could be overfeeding the fish, but the real problem is that you have an unrealistic idea of how much upkeep a fish tank requires. Every 4-6 weeks is not only not too often, it's not often enough.

From https://animalcityinc.com/blog.....-tank

How many times a week should I clean my fish tank?
If you have a large, well established tank you should clean your tank on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. A water change should be done to the keep the tank clean and the fish happy. Depending on the type of filter you use for the tank, you may be able to get away with cleaning the tank once per month.

Smaller tanks need more frequent cleaning than larger tanks with the same number and size of fish. Consider getting a larger tank or keeping fewer fish.

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 11:35 am
There is no such thing as never having to clean the water. You need to do a partial water change, say 10-15% each week or 25% every two weeks, depending on how many fish you have. More fish means more frequent cleaning.

Also, if you keep the tank light on or keep the tank in a sunny location, algae will grow more quickly and need to be scraped off surfaces more often. A small algal bloom doesn't harm the fish and may even be a source of food for some. However, excessive growth can deprive the fish of nutrients and harm aquatic plants if you have any. You can buy algae-eating snails to help keep the algal growth in check but they won't consume it all.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 11:46 am
Maryann wrote:
we have a 5 gallon fish tank- its really beautiful when its clean, I have a filter and do all the things im supposed to do (conditioner and starter etc)
the problem is it gets dirty so often (like every 4- 6 weeks) and its so hard to clean it.

can anyone who has a fish tank help me , what am I doing wrong and what else can I buy that can keep my fish tank clean that I never have to change the water?
all tips welcome thanks so much!

It's been a long time since I had a fish tank, and I wasn't such an expert, but I'm pretty sure no matter what products you use, water will need to be changed. And every 4-6 weeks is actually pretty infrequent from what I recall. I seem to remember removing some of the water every week or so - definitely not the full amount - I didn't have to take fish out of the tank. But for sure it was more often than what you're doing. Fish tanks are a lot of work. That's why I ultimately got rid of mine even though I loved it. Only way I'd ever have a fish tank again is if I could afford to hire a professional to maintain it for me.

Maryann

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 11:55 am
Thanks everyone
I feel like I'm missing something
My grandmother has a beautiful tank, about 15 gallons and never does a thing
Only feeds them!
She has a filter , and that's it

I feel like I'm missing something

crema

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 1:26 pm
You can get sucker fish that eat the algae and also add live plants.

judyjew

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 2:35 pm
How many and what kind of fish? Do you have a filter? How much and how often do you feed them? Do you have live plants? I have my fish tank for years and years and never change the water, I just top it off when the level gets low.

esther malka

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 3:25 pm
1. The water in a tank needs to be changed. Like others mentioned. Empty about 1/4-1/3 of the water and the replace with conditioned water (ask your local pet shop for the right drops) and don’t overfeed.
2. Make sure to replace/clean your filters. I bought a box of filters so every time my kids change the water they can replace the filter.
3. Sunlight will cause algae. Consider moving your tank. And also maybe invest in a snail or two to eat the algae.
4. Use a magnet cleaner thing, part goes inside the tank and the handle attaches via magnet to the outside of the glass, you can then scrub the glass from outside, not a big deal to do it.
5. After all the above is being done. Best secret I found is invest in a UV light, Amazon has them. Keeps the water clean.

Maryann

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 9:23 am
judyjew wrote:
How many and what kind of fish? Do you have a filter? How much and how often do you feed them? Do you have live plants? I have my fish tank for years and years and never change the water, I just top it off when the level gets low.

Ty! I'm looking for someone like you to learn your secrets
I have 1 fish, feed 2 little balls a day.
No live plants
Yes I have a filter and a light

What am I missing

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 11:22 am
Sounds like overfeeding unless it’s a big fish.

judyjew

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 11:46 am
Maryann wrote:
Ty! I'm looking for someone like you to learn your secrets
I have 1 fish, feed 2 little balls a day.
No live plants
Yes I have a filter and a light

What am I missing

What kind of fish?

judyjew

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 12:03 pm
And when you say dirty, do you mean algae or something else? Do you test the water?

abaker

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 12:18 pm
Getting fish soon. Following this. Thanks for starting this. I am really new to fish.

Maryann

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 1:20 pm
judyjew wrote:
And when you say dirty, do you mean algae or something else? Do you test the water?

I guess I mean algae like that greenish look

No I don't test the water

I don't remember what type of fish I bought, it's not a goldfish but let's say about double the size of an average goldfish

So...it's not like I have a huge dirty fish
I have 1 nice fish in a relatively large tank with a filter and starter and conditioner!!!
What else do I need to do?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics