Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Old Jewish novels! Please join me...
  Previous  1  2  3  16  17  18

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 6:44 pm
sallysaucer wrote:
I'm surprised no one mentioned "the flight to seven swan Bay", and "the cheery bim band" unless I missed it.

These were both mentioned way back.
The flight to seven swan Bay kind of reminds me of the Hatchet series. Just not as gory.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 6:46 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Love this thread, so many books I'd forgotten about!

This wasn't a novel, but does anyone remember the stories for kids in the Yated? Every few weeks there would be a story about 2 boys who'd go off to save the world in a roller coaster? I think they were written by libby lazewnik. I remember turning straight to that page every week to read them.

Some other books I'm not sure if they were mentioned yet, I can call you ima, family for a while, the yellow star, the face at the window, and there was a series of mysteries, I think one was called the golden bridge? Based in San Francisco? I have very hazy memories of those.

Someone upthread mentioned the accused - was that the one that started off with a family, 4 kids who found their mother dead in the kitchen one day and they were all sent to live with different families? I remember reading that when I was very young and I've never seen that book since. For years I've wondered if I hadn't actually dreamed that story

Yes that's the one. I still remember the shock I had of reading about the mother sprawled out dead on the floor.

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 4:21 pm
My Special Brother by Rena Schiff!!!!

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 4:23 pm
I’m not sure if anyone mentioned this specific book but I think some people mentioned Rachel Pomerantz. I have the book Bells and Pomegranates for sale on eBay if anyone’s interested.

amother
Brass

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 4:29 pm
This wasn't a novel...but I wonder if someone can help me find this story...
Around 1994 in BY of Baltimore, my fourth grade teacher read us a story. It was a longer story...I think she read a chapter a day for a while, but then she had the whole thing printed and gave us each a copy at the end of the year.
It was about a boy (Ari? Aryeh?) who steals a pocket knife from his friend, and grows up to be the head of a gang of thieves...don't recall the whole story, but they eventually plan an elaborate heist of a rabbi and his shul...and it turns out to be the boy's father...at the end, he wakes up, still a little boy with the stolen pocket knife under his pillow...

I've wanted to find this story for years. Anyone have any leads?

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 12:08 pm
Anyone remember this book from around 20 years ago. A bochur stumbles into a motivational meeting and it turns out it's a cult and the family can't contact him and then his brother joins the cult. I remember it being a very edgy book and quite controversial.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 12:10 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Anyone remember this book from around 20 years ago. A bochur stumbles into a motivational meeting and it turns out it's a cult and the family can't contact him and then his brother joins the cult. I remember it being a very edgy book and quite controversial.

Captive Soul! It's a phenomenal book.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 12:13 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:

Yes! Very compelling. I always wondered if it was originally a serial because each chapter ends on a big cliffhanger but I don't remember serialized novels back then

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 12:14 pm
amother [ Brass ] wrote:
This wasn't a novel...but I wonder if someone can help me find this story...
Around 1994 in BY of Baltimore, my fourth grade teacher read us a story. It was a longer story...I think she read a chapter a day for a while, but then she had the whole thing printed and gave us each a copy at the end of the year.
It was about a boy (Ari? Aryeh?) who steals a pocket knife from his friend, and grows up to be the head of a gang of thieves...don't recall the whole story, but they eventually plan an elaborate heist of a rabbi and his shul...and it turns out to be the boy's father...at the end, he wakes up, still a little boy with the stolen pocket knife under his pillow...

I've wanted to find this story for years. Anyone have any leads?

It sounds like the Destiny song, 59th Street Gang, in a story version.

mommy9

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 12:59 pm
There's a book by marcus Lehmann, faith and courage, del monte, and the penknife. Three stories in one book. Faith and courage is the Adopted princess. I think The Penknife is what you're talking about.

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 1:08 pm

Would love to read this!Who’s the aurthor, or any idea where I can purchase it?

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 1:11 pm
amother [ Dandelion ] wrote:
Would love to read this!Who’s the aurthor, or any idea where I can purchase it?

https://www.amazon.com/Captive.....0469X - I'm sure many Judaica stores would have it too, probably at a better price. It's definitely a book worth reading!

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 1:22 pm
https://www.amazon.com/Captive-Soul-Novel-Shoshana-Schwartz/dp/158330469X - I'm sure many Judaica stores would have it too, probably at a better price. It's definitely a book worth reading!

Thanks!
I love her book in full bloom!

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Feb 21 2023, 8:44 pm
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
I’m not sure if anyone mentioned this specific book but I think some people mentioned Rachel Pomerantz. I have the book Bells and Pomegranates for sale on eBay if anyone’s interested.

Hi! Is this still available?
Page 18 of 18   Previous  1  2  3  16  17  18 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room