Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Two identical couches?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 4:52 am
Hi, I'm looking for some furniture buying advice...

My family is too big for one three-seater couch, even with the addition of an armchair or two. I like the Ikea Ektorp but it doesn't come in a bigger size (no sectional for that style).

I'm wondering if it would look normal to get two identical three-seaters facing each other?

The other option is one three-seater and one two-seater, but is that any better?

We definitely have enough people (who enjoy stretching out, sitting in corners, etc.) to put two three-seaters to good use. And if they are facing each other, it might be nice and cozy.

What do you all say?

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 4:57 am
I like the idea but would probably put them perpendicular to each other, with a coffee table in the corner.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 5:01 am
Yes! I was going to do this. Spent a year deciding.. Chickened out at first bought 1 3 seater. Couch 1 was delivered 2 mos ago. I plan to order couch 2 in Jan when on sale. 2 3 seaters facing each other..and 2 comfortable side chairs perpendiculsr, a little farther away, flanking a round card table for a 2 person game or book reading. Chairs can be moved as needed for conversation near couch. Allows for 6 adults to speak comfortably Only other furniturre in room will be built in bookcase to keep from looking cluttered. We have 2 6 foot tall plants as well.

The side chairs will probably cost more than couches.
I went ith the macys Radley basic couch with custom upholstery. Comfy, tailored and I won't cry if kids destroy it.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 5:11 am
Can you get coordinating upholstery? Two identical couches (even of different sizes) will make the living room look like a hotel lobby.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 5:31 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Yes! I was going to do this. Spent a year deciding.. Chickened out at first bought 1 3 seater. Couch 1 was delivered 2 mos ago. I plan to order couch 2 in Jan when on sale. 2 3 seaters facing each other..and 2 comfortable side chairs perpendiculsr, a little farther away, flanking a round card table for a 2 person game or book reading. Chairs can be moved as needed for conversation near couch. Allows for 6 adults to speak comfortably Only other furniturre in room will be built in bookcase to keep from looking cluttered. We have 2 6 foot tall plants as well.

The side chairs will probably cost more than couches.
I went ith the macys Radley basic couch with custom upholstery. Comfy, tailored and I won't cry if kids destroy it.

Which color and material?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 5:52 am
If you like a clean, orderly look, then identical couches can really anchor a room and tie it together. You can get throw pillows and a lap blanket in coordinating colors to make it look less like a hotel lobby. Make it cozy, but still sharp and clean.

If you want a more homey look, you can do a mix and match with the fabrics, but it will make the rest of your interior design much harder to pull off, and can lead to visual clutter. Always keep in mind that drapery and area rug/carpet colors will be visually connected as well.

Parallel or perpendicular will depend on the size and shape of the room, and window and door placement. You may want to play around with the arrangements and see how it works with the traffic flow through the house. Side tables might work better than a central coffee table, depending on how wide the living room is.

MEASURE THE WALLS before you commit to buying anything, and make sure that it will fit nicely! If any part of the sofa projects into the flow of foot traffic, it's going to throw off the whole vibe of the house.

~Former interior designer Smile

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 6:17 am
Thank you all!

I have previously (in a different house and country) had two Ektorps in 3 and 2 seater sizes, perpendicular to each other. I don't think it looked like a hotel lobby. So that was fine, but I'm not sure if 3 and 3 will be pushing it. If I know for sure I'm doing perpendicular, I'd probably do 2 and 3 again just because of the size of the space and maybe I have a feeling of "been there, done that" with the 2 and 3?

(I no longer have those couches... made aliyah in the interim and didn't bring them. So now I'd be buying again. But I already know I found those comfortable and easy to care for.)

I don't want to work too hard picking upholstery, matching draperies etc. because I'm hoping to move in the next year or two, but I do want the room to look normal and be cozy/practical for now... I would use blankets and throw pillows.

Definitely no coffee tables. We don't have that much space and the room is mostly used for magnatiles, kids riding toys, etc. I do want to get a rug though too. Then kids can play on the floor in between the two couches.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 6:19 am
I do already have a few arm chairs (in a different color fabric) for additional seating and to break things up. They are not identical--one is normal adult size and one is very small for kids, but made like real furniture.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 6:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you all!

I have previously (in a different house and country) had two Ektorps in 3 and 2 seater sizes, perpendicular to each other. I don't think it looked like a hotel lobby. So that was fine, but I'm not sure if 3 and 3 will be pushing it. If I know for sure I'm doing perpendicular, I'd probably do 2 and 3 again just because of the size of the space and maybe I have a feeling of "been there, done that" with the 2 and 3?

(I no longer have those couches... made aliyah in the interim and didn't bring them. So now I'd be buying again. But I already know I found those comfortable and easy to care for.)

I don't want to work too hard picking upholstery, matching draperies etc. because I'm hoping to move in the next year or two, but I do want the room to look normal and be cozy/practical for now... I would use blankets and throw pillows.

Definitely no coffee tables. We don't have that much space and the room is mostly used for magnatiles, kids riding toys, etc. I do want to get a rug though too. Then kids can play on the floor in between the two couches.

The bolded is crucial!

This whole post sounds like you have an excellent grasp of the situation, and I think you're on the right track. If you were my client, I'd tell you to be confident and go for it.

Personally, I don't like coffee tables, and you understand your family's needs. I do suggest getting a play mat or two with drawstring edges, if you don't have them already. I think Ikea sells them, but if not then you can get them on Amazon. It makes cleaning up small toy pieces a snap!

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 7:57 am
Love that. Symmetry is soothing. Two matching couches facing each other with a coffee table in the middle. I would just suggest that if you get a rug, make sure it’s large enough that it fits at least under the front legs of each couch.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 8:00 am
We got two identical three setaers and placed them perpendicular like a sectional

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 8:05 am
the more seating the better! Go for the 3 plus 3.

amother
Zinnia

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 8:09 am
I would get 2 identical. The more seating the better.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 8:09 am
We have plenty of room in our living room so we bought two identical couches and have them perpendicular to each other. Ideally we'd put an end table in between but the living room doubles as a playroom so we maximized the seating but decided against any other furniture for now.

cbg

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 8:12 am
I have 2 big couches facing each other
Dark grey leather
And an arm chair facing perpendicular
I live in an apartment with one big living room dining room
IMO- I love it

Akk look so my sofas are free standing not against a wall

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 8:21 am
I have two identical couches facing each other, and have seen it in other homes. With something along the wall at the open end - wall unit, fireplace or bookcase - it looks quite natural and it never occurred to me to do it any other way. A sectional might give more seating options, but is a more casual look than I wanted and logistically difficult because of the location of heating ducts and doors in my room. Pre-kids, we had a coffee table but we also preferred to prioritize plenty of safe play space on the floor so we removed it.

amother
Cognac

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 12:31 pm
I have two identical. Right now they’re perpendicular against the walls because it’s more functional, but they looked super fancy when I put them facing each other in the middle of the room. Like a magazine.

LittleMissMama

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 7:05 pm
https://carlaaston.com/designe.....imacy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics