Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Wolf/volff/velvel

Ladybug1

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 9:41 pm
My grandfather's second name was Volff. I really do not like Volf, and even Ze'ev doesn't sit well with me because wolf names just seem so violent to me.

I'm comfortable with the first name, but I was thinking of another Z name like Zohar (which my husband and I both like!) or something similar. Any thoughts or ideas?

Last edited by Ladybug1 on Sat, Jan 01 2022, 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Khaki

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 9:45 pm
It is not associated with violence in the way its used to compare Binyamin to a Zev.

So if you truly wont use Volf (don't have to call him that but def your decision to use or not), how about Binyamin?

Bshaah tova!

amother
Daphne

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 9:48 pm
I know so many Zevy's. No violence associated with the name, sorry.

amother
Banana

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 9:53 pm
Ladybug1 wrote:
My grandfather's name was Shimon Volff. I really do not like Volf, and even Ze'ev doesn't sit well with me because wolf names just seem so violent to me.

I was thinking of another Z name like Shimon Zohar or something similar. Any thoughts or ideas?

I see you don't know what gender you'll be having... (you're thinking about udel or volf) maybe wait until the baby is born. You'll have less names to consider once you know the gender. Unless you're having twins- a girl and a boy?!?

Ladybug1

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 10:09 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
It is not associated with violence in the way its used to compare Binyamin to a Zev.

So if you truly wont use Volf (don't have to call him that but def your decision to use or not), how about Binyamin?

Bshaah tova!

Thank you so much!!! Do you know anything about the name Volf or Zeev? Why is it used? I'm looking for something positive about it and am open to changing my mind because I loved my grandfather so much that I don't want to separate his name since he was such a special man. Also, I recently learned that his parents were paid to name him after a wealthy family. At first this bothered me, but then I realized that he was the only person who survived from the whole family in Hungary, so perhaps this entire name carried some important significance that should also be carried on in recognition of the fact that I am here because of a simple twist of his fate. I'm just so troubled because I don't love the name Volff.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 10:10 pm
Ladybug1 wrote:
Thank you so much!!! Do you know anything about the name Volf or Zeev? Why is it used? I'm looking for something positive about it and am open to changing my mind because I loved my grandfather so much that I don't want to separate his name since he was such a special man. Also, I recently learned that his parents were paid to name him after a wealthy family. At first this bothered me, but then I realized that he was the only person who survived from the whole family in Hungary, so perhaps this entire name carried some important significance that should also be carried on in recognition of the fact that I am here because of a simple twist of his fate. I'm just so troubled because I don't love the name Volff.

Zevi is an adorable name!

Ladybug1

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 10:11 pm
amother [ Banana ] wrote:
I see you don't know what gender you'll be having... (you're thinking about udel or volf) maybe wait until the baby is born. You'll have less names to consider once you know the gender. Unless you're having twins- a girl and a boy?!?

we need names for both genders but I'm not ready to share more yet! But I DEFINITELY can't wait until birth. Im so so so indecisive and I have one shot to get this right because this is the only opportunity to name for my grandparents and they were such amazing people.

Ladybug1

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 10:12 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Zevi is an adorable name!

it is very cute. I never thought of it that way. I'm going to consider with husby.

amother
Petunia

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 10:12 pm
My great grandfather had the name Wolf (he was German) and my brother is named Zev.

amother
Apple

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 10:18 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

Bshaah tova!

Love this idea!

amother
Apple

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 10:19 pm
If you're ok with the first name, call him both and only use one. It's so special to use the full name, especially if it's a grandfather you knew and loved.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 10:23 pm
Op zohar has nothing to do with anything, except for starting with a z. Also, unless you are particularly kabalistic people, I think it’s very random. The zohar was a Sefer, not a person. (If you are into kabala, I do get it)

Ladybug1

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 10:27 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Op zohar has nothing to do with anything, except for starting with a z. Also, unless you are particularly kabalistic people, I think it’s very random. The zohar was a Sefer, not a person. (If you are into kabala, I do get it)

thanks for this info - it is random. we just liked the translation/meaning (my husband is Israeli so he has a different feeling about a lot of hebrew names).

but im leaning towards using Ze'ev as the second name since my grandfather was such a special person and his name has history. still coming to peace with this.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 10:30 pm
I do not like wolf or volf but I do like the name Zev very much. I know a lot of Zevy’s. Very nice name.

amother
Almond

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 11:50 pm
I call my Zev Volvy. Its such a yummy cozy name.

amother
Yolk

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 12:48 am
Maybe Wolf or Zeev with a middle name that is gentle? Zeev Rachamim, etc

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 12:55 am
Velly is a cute nickname for velvel,
I know someone who still goes by that as an adult
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names