Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toilet Training help!!

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 10:39 pm
Training my almost 3 year old and he's starting to get the hang of going wet in the potty, but I don't understand!! He'll go dirty in his underwear or directly on the floor!!! How can I teach him to stop doing that? That barely seems to bother him
It's so gross and I need it to stop

meeze

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 10:47 pm
I had anxiety training my 3 yo as well.
The best tip I got from my sister in law and a lot of others :
"Make sure you show him that you don't really get annoyed or mad that there was an accident. He is supposed to come and tell u something happened.
They eventually take ownership of this toilet training and it becomes their problem, not yours.
I tried this method after going wild when my son made wet or #2 a few times a day. After I tried.this, boom! He got the message and bh, doing great after that.

amother
Daisy

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 11:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Training my almost 3 year old and he's starting to get the hang of going wet in the potty, but I don't understand!! He'll go dirty in his underwear or directly on the floor!!! How can I teach him to stop doing that? That barely seems to bother him

Toilet training is hard.
Treat yourself every day you survive this.
Kidding aside, this is what worked for me.
My 2.5 yo wanted to go in the potty, I wasn't ready. But one shabbos morning he announced he didn't wear diapers anymore.

With a tefila to hashem. I dug out the dusty potty from the garage and the game was on.
Was getting him used to the idea of potty for 2 days. By the time he went to playgroup on Monday, he never had a wet accident in his morahs home. At home I had to remind him every hour. Reward him for being dry... took abt 2 more weeks.
Now he basically only pees if he doesn't go before going into the trampoline. He gets so wild in there he'll pull his pants down and pee on purpose LOL TMI Twisted Evil Hiding all those emotions....

Wet reward was lots of "look at you being such a big boy. Great job. I'm proud of you. You did it!" And 2 large chocolate chips.

Dirty was a really big big deal including calling his favorite aunt and/or Bubby. Lol. And a grand gesture. A lollipop or big piece of chocolate. His choice. Yum.

Every time he made on the floor or in his pants, for close to 2 full weeks, I'd bemoan the fact that he's missing out on a lollipop. "Uch. Such a pity!!! Now you missed out on a lollipop. Next time you need to go girty come tell me, I have the goodies all prepared and waiting for you"
I also was very on top of figuring out his behavior before going I'm his pants. I realized he'd always go hide away in private before doing his business.
So once I realized he's Mia, I ran to find him downstairs. I quickly picked him up, pulled his pants down and sat him onto the potty. I made a HUGE deal even though he had done half his business in his pants. I showed him the potty. Highfived him LOL and let him have both, the lollipop and the chocolate. Lucky boy.
3 days later he started making on the potty.
It took a while until he got the hang of it totally. But Mr. Independent had to get it right.
Now I find a full potty with wipes on the floor next to it.... drives me insane that he pulls his pants up like that even worse that he goes around after wiping and not washing his hands properly. I wish he'd tell me when he goes. So I keep checking, and I moved the potty to the main living area so I see it/ smell it. Right away.
After him going for a full week I started fading out the rewards...
We also did rewards for walking up dry. But not making a big deal even he wasn't dry (pullup) at Naptime because he goes to nap with a bottle. So it's extra hard. But most days he walks up dry after his nap. Overnight not.
Now we gotta transition from the potty to the big toilet. He can use the big toilet in an emergency, like when we aren't home. But has a hard time with it. And he can't do it himself and that won't do with Mr. Independent.

We did similar with my older dd. But she was dry and going in the toilet within 2 days. Including nights. She was a thumb sucker though so no bottles to go to sleep.

I have one kid with PANS. At 9 still not dry at night. And can have daytime accidents too. Especially in a flare. Toilet training was a hellish nightmare. I wish I knew then that we needed medical help, not behavioral.

HelloG

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 12:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I put in a lyserine suppository for first two days and have them sit on toilet until it comes, usually a few moments. so they get to see and feel where it should be..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics