Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Yakira vs. Sima

nrm229

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 9:57 am
Expecting a baby girl. We've known since the beginning that we'd want to give her first name Yakira. We were also thinking about following family tradition in giving baby girl a middle name after one of our grandparents - specifically, my husband's grandmother whose Hebrew name was Sima. But... Yakira and Sima have pretty much the same/very close meanings, no? Is it too much of a stretch to say that her first name "Yakira" is naming her after her great-grandmother Sima because they have the same meaning, and then just choose an entirely different middle name? Is it odd to give a first name and middle name both with essentially the same meaning?

amother
Geranium

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 10:06 am
Normal to give two names with the same meaning. Sima is Aramaic not Hebrew.

amother
Blushpink

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 10:30 am
Giving matching names in Hebrew and another language is traditional in some communities. I'm familiar with it more for men (for example, "Arye Leib") than for women, but my experience is limited.

As for giving the name "Yakira" after great-grandmother Sima with an unrelated middle name, I personally think that's fine. Lots of people in my family are named after a relative without using the exact, identical name. However, I learned here on Imamother that some people will say that it somehow doesn't qualify...best to look to your own family and/or community if that's important to you.

amother
Lightpink

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 10:35 am
It’s very common to give two names with same meaning ! Especially with yiddish and Hebrew

Aramaic my first thought is Shraga Feivel

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 11:04 am
I love the name Sima. I don’t really go for Yakira … but you weren’t asking me.

I know a girl whose name is Tova. Her official name is tova Gittel. She was named after Gittel and tova means the same thing as Gittel.

There’s also shoshana raizel. Both names mean the same. One is Hebrew and one is English.

amother
Mocha

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 12:34 pm
I love the name Yakira. It was on our short list, until we realized it was a horrible alliteration with our last name.
Yakira Sima actually sounds beautiful together. (I like the 3 syllable/2 syllable combo, no repeat of consonances, doesn’t rhyme)

rachelli66

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 10:00 pm
Yakira Sima sounds great together! Love both names! Bsha'a Tova!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names