Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Chicken in the fridge for a week

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 12:47 pm
Is it still good?
Cooked chicken legs

amother
Dustypink

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 12:48 pm
Nope. Sorry. 4 days max

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 12:59 pm
amother [ Dustypink ] wrote:
Nope. Sorry. 4 days max

Oh well, thanks!

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 1:00 pm
Could be. I'm big proponent of the smell test. (as long as you trust your nose these days...)

amother
Dandelion

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 1:07 pm
It's cooked? Likely it's still good. Like the poster above said, take a whiff Smile

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 1:28 pm
I wish I waited for more replies.
I dumped a full pan of good smelling chicken.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 2:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Well wrapped and sealed, especially on the back of the fridge is perfectly good.

mushkamothers

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 2:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It does tend to taste old though. Like shabbos chicken cooked on Fri, by Tues or maybe Wed it's pretty much done. It's safe to eat but it just gets this old taste.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 2:41 pm
We would still use it if it smelled good. Once cooked it doesn’t really go bad so fast but the taste won’t be as good as it was when fresh.

amother
Forsythia

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 3:04 pm
I know the official wisdom, but I trust my eyes and my nose. I wouldn't eat it cold though--I'd bring it to the boil for a few minutes.

I had hard boiled eggs in the fridge for a lot longer than was recommended. I used two on Monday for tuna salad and it was fine. By Tuesday the last egg had turned pinkish and was tossed without even getting a sniff test.

Zeleze

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 5:35 am
Next time smell it or look at the color if its greenish

Otherwise it should be perfect for a week

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 5:38 am
I read somewhere that food can seem to be okay but still be deteriorating. There are some things I would still use after a week but chicken, meat or fish would not be among them...

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 6:39 am
I keep to a 5 day rule for chicken and meat. If I made it for Shabbos, we eat it through Tuesday night. Wednesday, if it's still around, it gets tossed. Even if it still looks and smells fine. It just isn't worth the risk. If you feel badly throwing food away (who doesn't?) you just have to try harder to use it up faster. I had a child hospitalized for food poisoning before. It isn't something you want to experience.

etky

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 7:41 am
amother [ Maize ] wrote:
I keep to a 5 day rule for chicken and meat. If I made it for Shabbos, we eat it through Tuesday night. Wednesday, if it's still around, it gets tossed. Even if it still looks and smells fine. It just isn't worth the risk. If you feel badly throwing food away (who doesn't?) you just have to try harder to use it up faster. I had a child hospitalized for food poisoning before. It isn't something you want to experience.

Same.
Wednesday is the cut off day for most Shabbat leftovers - definitely for chicken.
By Monday, if I see there are going to be uneaten leftovers I will try to freeze whatever I can to avoid wastage.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen