Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Share your general pro tips

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 10:27 pm
What pro tips have you picked up over the year?

For example:

You can help a baby clear out his nose if you put drops in the nose and then give him tummy time. The exertion pushes out the snot.
Instead of fighting with your kids who don't want to get out of the bath, make the bath a treat and give showers.
Let kids eat one portion of whatever they want on the table for supper, but only give doubles if they have satisfied your nutritional requirements (ie only second helping of rice if they have chicken) obviously this won't work for everyone...
Put shoes, socks, shirt, bottoms, undergarments by each kids bed at night to avoid missing the bus.

Scotty

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 12:13 am
Wow you have some great tips!!!!! Tell me more!!!

Some humble ideas from our house (tho not easy ones at least ones I wish I could tell my younger self to have done earlier):

1. Try to say “yes” as much as possible instead of “no” LIKE THIS:
“Sure, you can go play outside *as soon as you finish your chores*” vs “no outdoor play until you finish your chores!”
“Sure, you can take a snack after supper. Now we are having supper.”
Vs “no snacks before supper!”

This allows you to save your “no”s for important non-everyday things and also make your kid feel like you usually allow them things instead of constantly say no.

Every Friday everyone has to do one “food chore” and one “household chore” (and/or “shabbos chore”). When they are done they can earn a reward - staying up for seuda, going to library for books to read on shabbos, gameboy time, etc. Assign the chores needed per week - they’re not the same every week, you list what is needed and kids choose. Whoever gets off the couch first to choose gets to choose the best (easiest) job!
instilling this routine takes a lot of work (and possibly tantrums) but after it becomes part of the expected routine kids will do their chores automatically, and you can then assign age appropriate chores as they grow without having to badger them for help.
Here are some examples we have:

Food chores: (per age obviously)
Make tea essence, tabouli, boiled eggs
Use finger safe veg chopper to make Israeli salad
Shake the spices onto the chicken (not very helpful I know but it gets small kids into the habit of helping)
Wash the button mushrooms for cholent
Peel potatoes for cholent
Wash dishes
Make a dessert
Make a dip with the immersion blender (older kids)
Peel & Process carrots for carrot slaw (older kids)
Etc.

Shabbos chores:
Rip paper towels
Open nosh or garbage bags or diapers
Open drinks (if your minhog)
Make ice cubes (fill ice trays)
Cut open freeze pops

Household chores:
Fold towels and put into closet
Hang up wet delicate laundry
Sweep or vacuum kitchen/den/living room
Set the table
Unpack groceries
Empty dishwashers
Wipe down counters
Pick up room x (pick up meaning pick up everything on floor or sofas, put away, throw out garbage - neaten.)
Make your bed and pick up all laundry and garbage on floor of bedroom (timer for five minutes for really overwhelming bedrooms for the first few weeks.)

This can take a lot of time to implement but it’s NOT to get your house clean - it’s to train in your kids! Eventually it will pay dividends and your house will be clean with their help!

3. Play music all the time. (We love Alexa.) allow one kid to “DJ” as a treat. Dance with them if you can, singalong if you want to, sway to the beat. It adds joy wven when you’re feeling unequal to bringing joy into the house. If you waltz with a little kid they’ll never want to stop. It’s better than a hug and they’ll likely rememwber that feeling of your love every time they hear that song for years!

4. Draw a list of proteins on a paper, list of carbs on another, same with fruits and veg. Then when kids don’t like your supper tell them to choose a carb and a protein (and veg if you dare) from the chart and help themselves to it from fridge/pantry - they will figure out what to eat while unknowingly learning how to balance their diets on their own.

5. Get Sara Chana Radcliffe’s daily parenting tip email. Trust me and do this. It never fails to inspire in leas than 100 words. Learned SO MUCH from this, often even life-changing tactics.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 1:17 am
Read to your children.

Improves vocabulary, grammar skills, attention span and kids pick up lots of general knowledge facts.

Kids who love to read are never bored.

devorah1231

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 12:32 pm
Buy crayola special markers that only color on special paper for toddlers who like to color on their faces

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 12:34 pm
I cut my straight haired daughter's hair myself. After shampooing, load it up with conditioner and comb straight, cut straight across the bottom. Just in case I cut less so I can trim off more if I botch.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics