Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cholov yisroel, yoshon, checked lettuce
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 3:48 pm
observer wrote:
I agree that you should be taking things on one at a time. It's way too daunting to take on 3 things at once, and when people do too much at the same time, they often end up not doing them properly.

Do you have a rov you can consult with? Find out which one you should start with. Probably the checked lettuce, broccoli, etc., as bugs are a real issue with no heter.

How do we handle the price?
The same way we handle the higher price of all kosher food. It should be in your mind like there is no other option. There are many expenses in being a frum Jew. It says in shema "Ve'ahavta es Hashem Elokecha bechol levavecha uvechol nafshecha uvechol meodecha". Uvechol Meodacha means with all your money. Using your money to serve Hashem better is huge!!
Personally, we check lettuce and cabbage when we can, to reduce the cost. Or pay a friend to check it, it will probably still come out cheaper. Extra perk, it's so much fresher than the bagged stuff!

Thank you for this. Love the בכל מאדך.

I don’t know about the Rav. I am taking on pieces of things, not the whole thing. I’m taking on a few cholov yisroel and yoshon items, not everything. I wish yoshon was easier to do, but it just isn’t and I can’t buy 52 boxes each of cereal and pasta. Any Rav won’t think I’m doing much.

shyner

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for this. Love the בכל מאדך.

I don’t know about the Rav. I am taking on pieces of things, not the whole thing. I’m taking on a few cholov yisroel and yoshon items, not everything. I wish yoshon was easier to do, but it just isn’t and I can’t buy 52 boxes each of cereal and pasta. Any Rav won’t think I’m doing much.

There are many opinions that yoshon is only kept on produce from eretz Yisroel so it may be worth finding out for yourself.
Good luck nonetheless on doing what you are.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:30 pm
You can get a light box for $36 if you want one to check by.

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 5:14 pm
I live in Los Angeles. Everything is CRAZY expensive here.

I don't buy checked lettuce often (6.99 for 5 oz). When I do, it's for Shabbos.

I eat veggies that don't need checking: green beans, cucumbers, red peppers, mushrooms, etc. Maybe once a week I'll buy a bag of frozen cauliflower (7.99 per bag).

Find the best non-leafy vegetables you can afford and that you like. Look for tasty new recipes.

Good luck.

#thestruggleisreal
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen