Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Concerned for dd loss of period

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 11:54 am
My dd got her first period at 121/2 and its nearly a year and that was it, her only period. I have pcos and experienced very irregular cycles and at first I assumed the same was going on with her. Weve brought it up at all doctors visits and none were concerned until more recent at which they ordered blood work, came out fine bh and now were scheduled for a endrocine appt.
Anyone experience anything like this that can help calm me down till her upcoming appt in 2 mths?
And anything to do naturally to help bring it on?

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 12:17 pm
I would try acupuncture. It can be really good at regulating menstrual cycles

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 12:31 pm
See what the endocrinologist has to say. Happened to me and turned out I had a benign tumor in my petuitary gland. I took meds for a little which shrunk the tumor and BC to regulate periods. BH it’s been years and no medication needed anymore. 3 beautiful children BH.

amother
Opal

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 12:34 pm
Get bloodwork at the endocrinologist and once you know what you’re dealing with, you can choose supplements accordingly. From what I know about Pcos, which isn’t much, it’s that keeping blood sugar stable and insulin low is really important, supporting the thyroid and adrenals are important, and maybe supplements that lower cortisol and androgens would be my guess.

bigbird

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 12:51 pm
How old is she now? It’s not unusual to get a first period then nothing for a few months. It happened to me, got it once then nothing and started getting it regularly only months later.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 1:42 pm
On the off chance it's hyperthyroidism please urge the endo to prescribe anti thyroid drugs instead of rushing to nuke the thyroid.

Ct7928

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 1:51 pm
I dont know all the medical things involved at all. I got my period at around 12 and then only got my second one about a year and half later and it took some time to regulate. But was never a issue. Became regular by the time I was probably around 15.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 1:55 pm
Thanks for all the replies. Her primary care ordered blood work specifically for this and all was fine, im assuming endo will order more. She is now 13 1/2 and first and only period was nearly a yr ago

amother
Stone

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 2:16 pm
My pediatrician told me that it is not abnormal for there to be a 2 year break after that first cycle. So I don't think you need to worry too much as it can be totally fine. good luck!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 2:40 pm
That seems normal to me. I got my first period at 12 1/2, my second about 13 1/2, then at around 14 started to get regularly but would still miss a month if I was stressed, slept over at someone's house, etc.
By the end of high school I was regular and I have never had any fertility issues.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 3:02 pm
I had a similar thing with my daughter, took her to a gynecologist and she said it's totally normal. It might be a good idea to take her to help ally your concerns and hers too.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 3:49 pm
It was a long time ago but my first period was at 13, and between then and 16 I only had very irregular periods, and not too many of them. I think it took till 15 for it to come every month.

My mother did some acupressure and either because of that or because I was just ready, my period started coming just about monthly.

If all is normal on the bloodwork I would not worry. Give her time, she is young and it's normal not to have regular periods at the beginning.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 7:57 pm
Are you sure that she had a real period when she was 12? My dd thought she had a period (she was around 14, my girls tend to start late) then nothing for over a year. When she had her real first period, she realised the first time had been just a little spotting which could happen when girls start puberty.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics