Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
BP stores say protective seals on light sofas protect very w

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 4:35 pm
BP stores are saying protective seals on light sofas protect very well from all stains.

Um, Grape juice?

Are the protective seals and finishes on sofas, these days, that good, that it doesnt matter if the fabric is light or dark?

Now that many are buying furniture online, and fabric choices are minimal, is it safe to buy a light colored fabric sofa?

Has anyone had their sofa sealed by a company that specializes in fabric seals?

Do you regret buying a sofa upholstered in a light colored fabric?

tia

amother
Darkblue

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 4:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
BP stores are saying protective seals on light sofas protect very well from all stains.

Um, Grape juice?

Are the protective seals and finishes on sofas, these days, that good, that it doesnt matter if the fabric is light or dark?

Now that many are buying furniture online, and fabric choices are minimal, is it safe to buy a light colored fabric sofa?

Has anyone had their sofa sealed by a company that specializes in fabric seals?

Do you regret buying a sofa upholstered in a light colored fabric?

tia

I went for leather because although I prefer the look of fabric, and I am pretty strict with no eating or drinking on the sofa, well, you know. Reality happens.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 5:20 pm
amother [ Darkblue ] wrote:
I went for leather because although I prefer the look of fabric, and I am pretty strict with no eating or drinking on the sofa, well, you know. Reality happens.

Thanks, TRUE! Ive had a dark but very elegant fabric sofa that never showed stains but it ripped after many years, and was considering going lighter but its a scary thought. I want fabric again, not leather. find fabric more comfortable to sit on.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 5:51 pm
See if you can get a sample and then test it with various staining stuff and see how it cleans up. I did this with a light velvet fabric that I was considering. I got it because it wasn’t going to be in a super high use area though. I tested it with tomato sauce and chocolate and those came out. I also spilled liquid foundation and thst did stain when left on. 🤷‍♀️

Depending on the light fabric they also can look dingy from dirt even from people sitting on them and transferring grime. And some dyes in clothing also transfer.

You should fine out exactly how they are planning to treat the fabric and then research. The fabric I used was nit treated but was graded as high performance and stain resistant. However for the living room I went with a deep blue mohair sofa and not a light one.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 7:00 pm
Amarante wrote:
However for the living room I went with a deep blue mohair sofa and not a light one.

Did you have this done at an upholstery place, because these days the fabric selection in most furniture stores and websites is minimal?

Amarante

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 7:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Did you have this done at an upholstery place, because these days the fabric selection in most furniture stores and websites is minimal?

Yes. I had my upholstered pieces done by an upholsterer and also had him redo some vintage pieces that I was keeping.

It was really great because not only did I have an almost infinite choice of fabrics but I was also able to absolutely customize every aspect - including height of everything as I tested various types of seats and backs as well as height of back and depth of seat etc.

It was the same or less expensive than if I had gotten a moderately priced sofa from a place like Restoration Hardware - of course the choice of material will significantly impact the price.

But I was searching for the perfect occasional chairs for the living room - they needed to be the right style to complement the sofa as well as the right size because I couldn't something too big and also they needed to be the right material and color. The chair I liked which was a Baker was gaspingly expensive so I am just having it done by a local upholstery shop based on the pictures and specifications of the Baker chair I liked. And as I wrote, I was able to find the perfect fabric - in my case it was a bit difficult since the sofa was a solid blue mohair and I already had a patterned chair so the material had to work with both elements - solid wouldn't have worked with the sofa and there were already too many patterns. LOL But fingers crossed - I will love them when they are delivered in January. Very Happy

Last edited by Amarante on Mon, Jan 03 2022, 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

librarygirl

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 7:08 pm
Yes. Was told everything would come out with a baby wipe. 8 years later I ordered a new couch. A dark one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics