Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is this a luxury?

6000miles

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 11:16 am
Maybe I should make a poll, but I really want to hear the reasoning behind your opinions.

I would LOVE to go away for Shabbos. Rent a little tzimmer somewhere in Tzfas or a moshav or something. I would bring food, but we would have to rent out a car. It would cost over 1000 shekel.
We eat home almost every single week. No family nearby. Last week I was sick so we ate at a friend but the food was too Israeli for my taste and the dining room was so tiny and cramped, it wasn't fun. I really want a change, something different.

We cannot afford it. It would mean taking out a loan or borrowing from a friend. But I'm dreaming of a nice shabbos away where we can create memories with the kids.

Do you think I'm reasonable to ask this of dh? Or is it a luxury I should not even consider?

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 11:19 am
I can't really imagine taking out a loan or borrowing for a shabbos away. Is it possible to scrimp on your budget for the next month to save up for it?

singleagain

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 11:20 am
If you can't afford it, I'd say it's a luxury... But it's one you can save up for

dena613

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 11:21 am
Would you consider switching homes (apartments) with a family you know in another city for a shabbos?
Just for a change of scenery?
I know families who did that for fun.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 11:22 am
Save up for it.
I don't think it's worth borrowing money for. It doesn't matter what title you give the shabbos away.

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 11:24 am
Definitely do not take out a loan for a shabbos away. It will put you under so much pressure to "enjoy" the shabbos. Either save up, or house swap, or house sit for someone going away.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 11:29 am
However you would pay back the loan you should save up to go.
Like put 50 shekel a week in an envelope. It will take time but eventually you can go and afford it.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 11:31 am
I want to say that we also eat at home every shabbos. Is there something stressful about that reality that you feel you need to go away? I understand wanting a change of scenery I was just wondering about this ppint

6000miles

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 11:43 am
lamplighter wrote:
I want to say that we also eat at home every shabbos. Is there something stressful about that reality that you feel you need to go away? I understand wanting a change of scenery I was just wondering about this ppint

Nothing stressful about being home each week. We have a spacious apartment with beautiful furniture. Just want a change of scenery!

watergirl

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 11:50 am
6000miles wrote:
Nothing stressful about being home each week. We have a spacious apartment with beautiful furniture. Just want a change of scenery!

We can not afford a getaway, so we've gone on "daycations". Wake up early, go to a place kind of far away for the day, go home kind of late the same day. Is this something you can do? Borrow a car from a friend instead of borrowing money?

amother
Pistachio

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 11:52 am
I would not do this. I would never take out a loan for something that isn’t necessary. For me, necessary is medical bills gd forbid, tuition, obv a mortgage is a loan. But a weekend away is not a necessity to me

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 11:57 am
Of course renting a place for Shabbat and going away is a luxury.

There's nothing wrong with luxuries, be they little ones (I like fancy soaps) or big ones (like vacations, or jewelry). "Luxury" is not a bad word.

But they should be budgeted for.

If you can't work $325 into your budget over the next couple of months, maybe you should wait.

cupcake123

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 11:58 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
However you would pay back the loan you should save up to go.
Like put 50 shekel a week in an envelope. It will take time but eventually you can go and afford it.

This is a great idea OP! Do not take out a loan for a vacation..

lamplighter

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 12:01 pm
6000miles wrote:

Ok then I think it's a luxury.
Luxury doesn't mean you have to be rich to do it but it means it's an extra pleasure. If one cannot afford a necessity a loan may be in order but if one cannot afford a luxury than saving up or getting creative is the way to go.

imaima

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 12:08 pm
Sorry I am not convinced.
Even if you do it, it may end up lousy if everyonw keeps fighting, something is broken there or someone gets sick.

And then you will regret borrowing monwy for this experience.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 12:12 pm
If its something your dreaming about then save for it however you would pay for the loan. you'll enjoy it more that way...
1000 nis is not a lot
100 shek a week means in 10 weeks you can go
though I don't know how it will be so cheap - probably more like 1500 nis
you need 300 nis for the car (fri- sun) 300 nis for gas

I don't think you can rent anything for 400 nis in tzfat or meron
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics