Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Do you send your young special needs child to camp

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 12:17 pm
I got an application for hamaspik sleep away camp for my dd with autism (age7) it says ages 5-9. Do people send more high functioning kids to sleepaway camp at such a young age? I feel like my daughter is to close to me and will realize shes away. I sent her last year to camp after camp at hasc for one week. I feel like 1-3 weeks is enough. I'm just scared if I keep her home I'll be stuck and wont have a local (Brooklyn) day camp for her. Advice? I spoke to someone who runs one of these opwdd after school programs. She said she would do a summer day camp If she has 10 applicants.... should I take the risk?

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 12:25 pm
How did she like HASC? Did she thrive? I don’t know your options, either based on Haskafa or needs. How long are programs, what can you price together? Does Yachad have anything for you?

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 12:52 pm
I BH cannot answer your actual question. But I worked at a special needs camp (Mishkon) for 2 summers, and I just want to reassure you that if you do make the decision to send her, you can do so with a clear conscience. Counselors that work there are all there because they very badly want to be there, and the love and devotion that these campers is unbelievable! As a mother of more than just a few kids, I know that if had to send, ch"v, I would do so wholeheartedly, without any concern!
Just make sure that the camp you do send to caters to your child's needs. A friend of mine tried sending her very behavioral SN child to camp that caters to higher functioning children, since she wanted her to have more socializing options, and they had to send her home since they were not able to care her her outbursts and misbehaviors. Then she was stuck with no program for her.

autism mom

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 12:55 pm
She was there for one week and she seemed to like it... she had an amazing counslor. Did she thrive, meaning? In her school work , socially?

autism mom

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 1:06 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
How did she like HASC? Did she thrive? I don’t know your options, either based on Haskafa or needs. How long are programs, what can you price together? Does Yachad have anything for you?
she likes it for that one week that she was there
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)