Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Does my baby need water?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 4:27 pm
What age do you start giving water to your baby to drink? My baby is 10 months and takes bottles. I'm wondering if and how much plain water a baby this age needs per day. When I give him water in his bottle he doesn't take any.. he makes a weird face and just throws the bottle down. Is it important to keep on trying or they don't need plain water yet?

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 4:32 pm
Only breast milk or formula until age 1 for the most part

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 4:34 pm
I start at six months, the same time I start offering solids. I give a few sips during mealtime from an open cup. Gradually I increase the amount, and by 12 months they have free access to a cup with a lid.

Technically babies don't need to start water before 1 but it gets them used to the taste and reduces the risk of constipation.

Offer water from a cup, not a bottle. Your baby is probably mad that it's not what he expected!

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 4:37 pm
my babies all needed warm water bottles since the day they were born, otherwise they got tummy aches

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 4:47 pm
Do not give a baby until they eat solids. Can dilute the blood. Very dangerous.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 4:50 pm
Do not give a water under 6 months! It can throw off their whole body it's super dangerous. And even if people will say well their baby was fine, don't do it. I offer a little bit of water once I start real solids, not mush, actual real food. They should have 2-8 ounces of water a day. More than 8 is too much. And it's best to give a sippy cup or real cup that they sip from and not a full bottle at once.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 4:51 pm
amother [ Offwhite ] wrote:
my babies all needed warm water bottles since the day they were born, otherwise they got tummy aches

So incredibly dangerous please stop and find other methods to soothe their stomachs.

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 4:57 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
So incredibly dangerous please stop and find other methods to soothe their stomachs.

my dr gave me the go ahead for a bottle a day so no, I'm not stopping cuz an anon poster said its dangerous
ask your dr before excepting any advice

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 5:07 pm
amother [ Offwhite ] wrote:
my dr gave me the go ahead for a bottle a day so no, I'm not stopping cuz an anon poster said its dangerous
ask your dr before excepting any advice

Yikes. I'm not shocked though. Too many doctors give unsafe advice about babies. It's still unsafe and no one else should do. You can google and read about it.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 5:11 pm
Why would anyone be so eager to give water if they don't have to? What's the rush?Formula babies older than 6 months need it in the summer.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 5:11 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Yikes. I'm not shocked though. Too many doctors give unsafe advice about babies. It's still unsafe and no one else should do. You can google and read about it.

Yeah, a lot of people don't realize that pediatricians are not baby feeding experts. They are not required to be up to date on the latest wisdom on childcare and parenting so some are more 'old school.' What we trust the pediatrician to do is to check that our child is healthy and thriving, and help when our child is sick.

Blindly trusting everything someone says because they went to med school isn't smart.

mushkamothers

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 5:17 pm
Give water in an open cup (like ezpz) so they learn all those oral skills and how to hold a cup. And offer it together with solids every time. Like 1oz of water, shotglass amount.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 5:53 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Why would anyone be so eager to give water if they don't have to? What's the rush?Formula babies older than 6 months need it in the summer.

For me:
-The skills like mushka mentioned
-The two things I said about it in my first comment
-Ending a meal with a sip of water is a great way to ensure that the child is not hoarding food in their mouth when you take them out of their seat.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 11:30 am
I give my LO a little water in an open cup while she's eating (8 months) to help wash her food down. I also let her have sips from my water bottle when she sees me drinking and asks. She used to just put her mouth on it and smile, but now she likes to drink a little. It's not instead of breastfeeding, but in conjunction with eating, or to be like Ima/Aba.

amother
Begonia

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 11:32 am
My baby had sips of water in the summer. When we were out she didnt want to touch her milk.
My baby also had stomach issues as a newborn so I gave her 2 oz with brown sugar upon her pediatrician and gastros advice.

my baby is 11 months now and she takes sips of water from a straw when shes eating

amother
Offwhite

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 1:44 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Yeah, a lot of people don't realize that pediatricians are not baby feeding experts. They are not required to be up to date on the latest wisdom on childcare and parenting so some are more 'old school.' What we trust the pediatrician to do is to check that our child is healthy and thriving, and help when our child is sick.

Blindly trusting everything someone says because they went to med school isn't smart.

I was actually referring to a ''gastrologist'', for some odd reason I trust him when it comes to my babies health.... weird

amother
DarkOrange

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 1:49 pm
amother [ Begonia ] wrote:
My baby had sips of water in the summer. When we were out she didnt want to touch her milk.
My baby also had stomach issues as a newborn so I gave her 2 oz with brown sugar upon her pediatrician and gastros advice.

my baby is 11 months now and she takes sips of water from a straw when shes eating

totally not the same as just giving water.

amother
Garnet

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 2:32 pm
A 10 month old can have water.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics