Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Tips - losing everything!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 7:26 pm
My DS teenager has lost so many expensive things, a hat, suit, watch, shirts etc. Does anyone have any advice or tips as to how to help him remember where he put stuff, to be orderly and not to lose things. I tell him to always ask himself before he's leaving a place -do I have everything I came with, I tell him to put things in the same place as always... None of this seems to help! Any practical tips that work for you or your children? I'm at the point where I don't want to buy him anything anymore but he needs stuff. Sweet boy though Wink

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 8:12 pm
No advice? Sad
Was hoping for some magical tips

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 9:21 pm
Is it ADHD? My inattentive daughter got much better with medicine. It was a joke how many water bottles etc we lost.

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 9:36 pm
Stop buying stuff that "is meant to last". Because he is losing it anyways. Buy cheaper alternatives. Nothing name brand.

Next, label everything. Like you did for a kindergarten kid, put name and phone number on everything.

Get him tested. Losing things is a symptom of several issues but commonly ADHD. Medications can help. Also learning what the issue is can help pinpoint solutions.

Where does he lose things? At home? School? Keep reminding him on a nonstop loop- shoes by the door. When he walks in and forgets- make him go back to the front door. Catch him taking things off and dropping him and make him go back and pick it up, returning it to the correct place. Many kids dont even pay attention to dropping items. Make him pay attention.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)