Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Special Ed Certification, need experience...

BoomChickaPop

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 9:49 pm
Right now I have an initial certificate and am supposed to work 3 years to get professional certificate. Anyone have experience where they did not work in the field or worked part-time for those years and still got the next level certification (professional or permanent)? Also, does SEIT count as experience, I was thinking of getting a SEIT job at least part-time, any ideas on where to get started. I am worried that my initial will expire in 5 years and I will not have had 3 years full-time experience and then where does that leave me....

gryp

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 10:31 pm
How about a part-time job in Crown Heights until the end of the school year?

manhattanmom

Post Sat, Apr 12 2008, 10:17 pm
What grade level and level of disability are you looking to teach?
Are you interested in teaching children with learning disabilities, emotional disorders, or maybe children who have severe or multiple disabilities?
What was your "major" or focus when you were in whatever graduate program you went to?

Hm...I was under the impression that the many hours of fieldwork I have to put in while in graduate school (student teaching/internships) qualify...
Speak to an academic adviser or whoever is the Department of Ed. liaison in your program.
Hatzlocha!

bigmomma

Post Sat, Apr 12 2008, 11:36 pm
Initial can be extended. Look it up on the New York State Department of Education website, you may have to take workshops during those 5 years, actually am not sure. I am almost positive that SEIT does not qualify as teaching. They require 3 years full time classroom experience, but they do accept part time, half day classroom experience that you could accumulate to equal the 3 years full time. The stupidest part is they used to give you permanent certification, now its only proffessional and you have to do 175 hours of proffessional enrichment every 5 years. Hope this helps.

BoomChickaPop

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 3:23 pm
Thanks for the responses...My degree is in birth through grade 2, for both regular ed and special ed. If SEIT doesn't count then how do any of the SEIT providers move on to the next level of certification???

avimom

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 7:30 pm
happy- they never had to do this before, it's a newish thing. You can always come volunteer in my classroom! We can use all the help mwe can get...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics