Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Keeping papers organized

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 4:54 pm
I live in a small apartment and my papers (bills, mail, important documents) seem to be scattered everywhere. Anyone have a nice system they can share that doesn't take too much space? TIA

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 6:17 pm
Scan or take pix on your smartphone and store on your computer.

WitchKitty

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 7:33 pm
I tried to sign up to electronic bills. My email is organized but my computer isn't Smile So taking a picture doesn't help too much, but I do have a USB with important files, because some need to be sent places all the time.
All physical papers are put.. well.. it was supposed to be a nice organized basket but it's actually the corner of the shelf.
Then once a month or so I sit down and organize all into a looseleaf.
Each type of paper is in a separate sheet protector (medical for one person, medical for another, taxes for one, this bank, that credit card, whatever)
There's another looseleaf that looks the same but has in it docs that I don't need but might someday.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 8:05 pm
I have something similar, but a sheet protector isn't enough space for me. Either file folders in a file box, or an accordion folder works better for me.

But definitely also do the junk pile that gets sorted occasionally.

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 9:38 am
Designate a container of some sort for incoming mail. It can be an "inbox"-type of thing, a basket, a flowerpot, doesn't matter as long as it's in a set place and all incoming mail is immediately put there. Go through it daily. As you open each item, sort its contents into one of three piles: Recycling (or trash, if you there's no recycling or composting where you live); Action Needed (e.g. letters to answer, bills to pay, applications to complete, ) and File (e.g. bank statements, birth certificates). If you bring the recycling or trash container to your "sorting station"--often the kitchen table--you don't even need a separate pile, just dump the junk right there. Then transfer the other piles to the appropriate "parking lot."

The "parking lot" is where you put papers that you need to address in some manner. Have a separate in-box for "Action Needed" and "File." Once action is taken, each item in that box will go in recycling/trash, in the shredder, or in "File." As for files, what works for you will depend on how much you have and how persnickety you are about filing. Some people have only a handful of categories, e.g. Money, Health, Education. Others have multiples, e.g. under health, "medical" "dental" "optical" "mental" "residential--long term" "residential--short term" with a separate subfolder for each family member. An accordion-fold envelope may suffice, or a single letter/legal filing bin of corrugated cardboard or plastic, or you may need a five-drawer filing cabinet.

You don't necessarily have to buy containers. See what you have around the house. An old roomy tote bag may sub for a filing box (and can be crammed into a corner of a closet or under a bed more easily than a bin), a cereal box with one side removed, covered in attractive self-stick wallpaper, can be an in-box.

amother
Moonstone

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 10:11 am
Cass of the clutterbug gives a great brief summary of how to organize paper here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnO-TtPOcis

It's not for the super detailed organizers, so beware.

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 10:14 am
Buy a filing cabinet.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 9:40 pm
Thanks everyone! Im gonna try to tackle this💪
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics