Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How to make life easier

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 8:39 pm
I am looking for advice how to make my life easier.

I get sick often and would like to have my house running in a way that takes very little energy and a good system.

Looking for more parenting advice than anything.

Things I'm considering:

Having more toys or less toys. More toys means kids are busier and need me less. It also means more cleanup.

More videos or less videos. More videos keep them busy but then they beg for it all the time and the tantrums are draining.

Getting ppl to make us suppers. Not sure we need it
Sometimes I'm too exhausted to make my kids what they want. I always have frozen stuff and sandwiches. Sometimes I will buy pizza.

Would like a system of less messes, kids needing me less on all fronts, less tantrums so more structure that everyone knows expectations but because sometimes I feel well and other times I don't it's really hard to have any kind of structure and routines.

Thanks in advance.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 8:44 pm
I always have a stocked freezer of easy things and my kids usually have that. I'm not sick often but I'm limited and cooking is just not doable. I have them spend 15 minutes a day cleaning up toys and that makes a huge difference. We have the same schedule every day so everyone knows what to expect. I guide them with preparing clothing for the next day so they can just get up and get dressed. Leave breakfast items in easy to reach places so they can serve themselves. Bags are packed the night before and shoes and coats are ready at the door. I limit screen time because I find they are worse after.

hodeez

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 8:44 pm
So u won't want to hear this but moderation is the answer. More videos is fantastic for your short term mental health but in the long term it'll eat away at you and your kids.
More toys may be an option if they are educational toys like a leap frog or the sort. Idk if magna tiles, legoes, play dough and other messy toys would help your cause.
My kids are pretty much bored of all our toys, so they do puzzles and coloring most days. They also like to play hide and seek and pretend games like house and doctor. They can also read books and hear stories from today until tomorrow.
Think about what your kids would enjoy and try to work off of that. Hatzlacha

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 8:53 pm
hodeez wrote:
So u won't want to hear this but moderation is the answer. More videos is fantastic for your short term mental health but in the long term it'll eat away at you and your kids.
More toys may be an option if they are educational toys like a leap frog or the sort. Idk if magna tiles, legoes, play dough and other messy toys would help your cause.
My kids are pretty much bored of all our toys, so they do puzzles and coloring most days. They also like to play hide and seek and pretend games like house and doctor. They can also read books and hear stories from today until tomorrow.
Think about what your kids would enjoy and try to work off of that. Hatzlacha

So one of my kids likes to play with dolls and doll stuff, also Playmobil stuff, dollhouse. But this means tons of doll carriages, clothing, tiny pieces. Should I rotate the doll stuff, like split it all on two? I do see that she plays more when I get new stuff and take out a toy she hasn't played in a while.

My other kids like to play with games or other things that make less of a mess like nerf guns, reading etc...

amother
Iris

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 8:54 pm
Neither more nor less toys. But easier to clean up toys. Make sure all toys have a clear place to be. Label toy bins with pictures and words.

I find that random toys are the worst since nobody knows where they belong.

My bins are:
Duplo
Dolls
Magnatiles
Mentchies
Cars
Wooden blocks
Toy foods
Stuffed animals
Balls

We have a lot of toys but they are not so hard to clean up. Games go in one of the older kids rooms so they won’t be destroyed.

The kids do a five minute cleanup of the living room every day.

Plastic tablecloths and paper goods make cleaning up after meals quick and easy. Or just hang out near the table and make sure nobody leaves without bringing their dishes to the sink.

Videos backfire. But I do like using them as an incentive periodically.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 9:21 pm
It's hard to get the kids to clean up because takes a lot of energy. They don't want to do it.

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 9:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's hard to get the kids to clean up because takes a lot of energy. They don't want to do it.

I dont force them to clean up when it takes too much of my energy. If you can learn to not let the mess bother you, that would be worth it. I suggest having less toys, and most should have big pieces. Big pieces are easier to clean up, and you can make a rule that the toys with the small pieces can only be used if they will clean it up, or have them play with it in a different room so it's easier to put away the playmobil sets because it's the only thing out. encourage them to clean up but If it doesnt work just sweep the toys to the corner. Dont overwork, especially when you're not feeling well. Rotating toys really really works. Put away half your toys and they will be very exciting in a few weeks/months. Reducing doll accessories also, they dont play with everything every day, limit the amount so you dont have so much 'stuff' with which to make a mess.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 9:36 pm
About screen time- Use a timer. It could be set for more or less time but keep use of the timer consistent. After a while your kids will get used to the idea and not tantrum when time is up. I lose track of time when my kids are quiet with a video and then they end up watching for way too long. The timer keeps me on track too.

amother
Snowflake

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 12:23 am
Less toys and less videos. The house stays cleaner with less. It saves a lot of time and energy not having to clean. The kids are happier with less. With too much choice , they use and value the things less.
You can rent games and videos at the library as well. That way, you use them for a period of time and give them back.

nicole81

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 1:31 am
how old are your kids?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 7:09 am
nicole81 wrote:
how old are your kids?

4-10

breindy s

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 4:04 pm
a highschool girl to take kids out?