Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Bar Mitzvah Single Parent

YW123

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 9:47 am
Hi, I have a friend who is a single father of 4. He has no money and does not get child support. He is trying to put together a Bar Mitzvah for his son in a few weeks. As a man, it is extremely humiliating to ask for help. I am sure as a single mom he would get response. I really want to help him out. He lives in Brooklyn. Can anyone direct me to a simcha fund that I can contact on his behalf? He has numerous challenges with his children and I would love to ease his burden a little bit. Thank you for your help.
Yocheved W.

salt

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 7:19 am
I don't live in Brookly, but I feel bad that no one responded to this.

Does he belong to a community?
What would happen in our community is that the families would get together and make it happen.

If you are talking about a kiddush on shabbat - divide food prep amongst several families.
If you are talking abut a weekday event, find a cheap location, again, divide food amongst the community, or collect money to buy in reasonable food.
Just make it a simchadig occasion - doesn't have to be fancy, just the boy should be happy (and his father!).

Good luck.

mom!

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 8:52 am
Perhaps reaching out to the Rav of his shul would bring big results from fellow people who know him and his situation.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 9:02 am
Reach out to Myef.org (my extended family- an organization for single parents and their children)

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 9:04 am
mom! wrote:
Perhaps reaching out to the Rav of his shul would bring big results from fellow people who know him and his situation.

Yes, reach out to the Rav of the shul, and the principal of the Bar Mitzvah boy's school. I know our school has a fund to pay for a small bar mitzvah celebration for any boy whose family is struggling.

But only do this if you know it will be welcome, and not embarrass your friend.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 9:10 am
If you can, reach out to the boy's rebbe as well. My husband is a rebbe and more than once he's made a nice breakfast (bagels, spreads...) with dancing, etc to celebrate a bar mitzvah when the family for one reason or another wouldn't be able to do anything.

amother
Chambray

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 10:05 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
If you can, reach out to the boy's rebbe as well. My husband is a rebbe and more than once he's made a nice breakfast (bagels, spreads...) with dancing, etc to celebrate a bar mitzvah when the family for one reason or another wouldn't be able to do anything.

This is so beautiful. We need more mechanchim like this. He should be gebentched

amother
Ebony

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 10:09 am
I pm’d you with some info.

Tizke lmitzvos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics