Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Any Cleveland Imas?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 1:35 pm
My husband and I are very seriously considering moving to Cleveland. If you live there now, or have lived there in the past, I would really appreciate it if you would take the time to tell me about it.

1. What are the schools there like
2. I know there are a few areas where frum people live, what are they called, and what is the crowd there like
3. What's the standard of living like
4. If you moved there from in town, are you finding that there is in fact a lot less social pressure
5. What is the job market there like truly? For men and women.

These are just a few questions I can think of off the top of my head. If you have any experiences/information to share please do! I would really appreciate it.

We are planning on visiting Cleveland for an extended weekend so we can see things for ourselves, but I would like going in with some knowledge obviously. Also, while we're there is there any place specifically that we should go and check out?

Thanks!!

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 1:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My husband and I are very seriously considering moving to Cleveland. If you live there now, or have lived there in the past, I would really appreciate it if you would take the time to tell me about it.

2. I know there are a few areas where frum people live, what are they called, and what is the crowd there like
4. If you moved there from in town, are you finding that there is in fact a lot less social pressure
5. What is the job market there like truly? For men and women.

These are just a few questions I can think of off the top of my head. If you have any experiences/information to share please do! I would really appreciate it.

We are planning on visiting Cleveland for an extended weekend so we can see things for ourselves, but I would like going in with some knowledge obviously. Also, while we're there is there any place specifically that we should go and check out?

Thanks!!

1)schools- there is Hebrew Academy and YDT. HAC is more of a day school. They accept kids from a wide variety of backgrounds. The teachers are definitely on the yeshivish side of the spectrum. I send my kids there and went there as a child. Very, very positive experience. YDT is a more yeshivish style school- the types of families are more similar than what you would see in HAC. There is also Fuchs Mizrachi which is a MO school. I honestly can't tell you much about it. That crowd seems to stick together and not mesh much with other orthodox communities.
2)Cleveland Hts- simpler neighborhood, not as many young families though there are plenty. Houses are generally cheaper. University Hts- has some fancy streets with big houses and wealthier pple and some streets with very small houses and/or all kollel families. And then some streets are a mix of random people. Wickliffe- 25 minutes away from the other communities. There is a smaller crowd there. Mostly people very associated with Telshe Yeshiva.
3) standard of living- you will find groups all along the spectrum. Some people are very wealthy or they just spend lots of money, some people are very, very simple. And there are tons of people in between. You can live how you like here and no one gives a hoot as far as I can tell.
4) I always lived here so can't answer this.
5) I think the job market is better than it has been in the past. There are lots of frum owned businesses that would hire other frum people. There are 2 offices that I know of that hire women- LTC and Prism. I don't know if they are the same styles as frum jobs on the east coast and the pay is most probably not on the same level but I really can't say 100%.

As far as places to check out- shuls(CH- Shomer shabbos, khal yereim, Torah Utefila, UH- Beachwood kollel, Zichron Chaim, Young Israel) schools, grocery stores (boris, tibors, Grove, ungers), restaurants (milky way, kinneret, jade, arova). I would say just driving by or popping in for a minute to check it out would give you a feel for what goes on here.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 1:52 pm
Thank you so much!

amother
Steel

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 8:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

There was another thread recently that someone went into detail. Do a search for it.

In addition to what the amother above wrote - there’s also Beachwood , right across the road from university heights. Real estate is most expensive there
Re: CleveLand heights, I beg to differ. It is FULL of young families. The majority go to YDT.

It’s a huge range. Depends on what circle you’re part of

Again this depends which circle you’ll be a part of.

5. What is the job market there like truly? For men and women. DO NOT MOVE HERE WITHOUT A JOB

If you describe a little bit what you’re like, maybe we can guide you more.

Thanks!!

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 8:47 pm

I send my kids to YDT, and am generally happy BH. Every school has its issues, and so does YDT, but I feel that it's a good school.
YDT is a mix, but skews more yeshivish, while HAC skews less yeshivish. Though the rebbeim and moros and HAD kollel families(need to ) send there, most of the rest of the crowd isn't yeshivish.
Like a pp, I don't know much abt mizrahi. It's MO.

YDT is full. unless you're joining a kollel or have protexia, you will probably not get your kids in.
Maybe HAC had more room. I don't know. They have more classes per grade,3 in many, unlike YDT which has 2 in most.

Cleveland Heights, smaller community and cheaper than University Heights. It's abt 45 min walk, 10 min drive to UH.
University Heights I believe is more heterogeneous than Cleveland Heights.
Beachwood is more modern than University Heights. It's across the main road from UH, so the communities are almost contiguous. Beachwood has great public schools if you need for special need kids and the houses are larger and less affordable.
Wickliffe is where Telshe is located and 99% of the (small) frum population there is affiliated with Telshe or Rabbi Brog's yeshiva. If you aren't moving to Cleveland to join either of those, you aren't looking into Wickliffe.

Not sure how to compare...
Actually, here's a good example. Interpret as you'd like (too simple or too gashniyusdik):
Walk into a PreK class at YDT girls, and a huge percentage of the girls are wearing Tottini ($22) dresses

also, while we're there is there any place specifically that we should go and check out?

Shuls and schools

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 8:52 pm
Chocolate had a good list of places to check out!

The Grove is the fanciest store Cleveland will see for at least 10 years of not 20, so that's the epitome of gashmiyus fun, LOL.

I'd just add - 2 more shuls to pop into in CH.
Very different clientele, but OP didn't say what type she is...
Ohel Sarah and Beis Doniel.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 9:16 am
Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your replies!! To clarify, we are very middle of the road frum. My dh is currently learning now but is actually looking for a job at the moment. Regarding jobs, everyone I have spoken to says not to move without a job (which I would never do regardless of where I'm going) but my question is, what are the chances of dh and I finding a job there?
In regards to schools, we would probably lean more toward sending to YDT. My son is 2 now so I'm not worried about that for right now, but if we live in the community for a few years before sending , are our chances of getting in higher?
And what of the girls schools?

amother
Steel

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 9:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your replies!! To clarify, we are very middle of the road frum. My dh is currently learning now but is actually looking for a job at the moment. Regarding jobs, everyone I have spoken to says not to move without a job (which I would never do regardless of where I'm going) but my question is, what are the chances of dh and I finding a job there?
In regards to schools, we would probably lean more toward sending to YDT. My son is 2 now so I'm not worried about that for right now, but if we live in the community for a few years before sending , are our chances of getting in higher?

Regarding jobs- what fields are you looking for?

Schools- to be honest- if you’re middle of the road frum you’re chances aren’t so high. YDT is a very homogeneous group. Space and resources are very limited so priority will go to those who are more kollel style. Yes there are a few families that are “middle of the road” but the majority are not. Many of the parents don’t have smart phones etc, they wear the frum style shoes, clothing etc.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 9:33 am
Thanks
Regarding jobs, for me I'm not picky, I'm looking for any old office job
My husband would prefer to work with people so possibly sales or something similar. He is also works extremely well with kids and bachurim who are struggling a bit so if there is something like that there he would love to do that.

misteray

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 9:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi everyone,

If you want to pm me, I can try to help you.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 9:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks
Regarding jobs, for me I'm not picky, I'm looking for any old office job
My husband would prefer to work with people so possibly sales or something similar. He is also works extremely well with kids and bachurim who are struggling a bit so if there is something like that there he would love to do that.

Look on localjewishnews.com- there are advertisements for jobs there periodically.

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 9:51 am
amother [ Steel ] wrote:
Regarding jobs- what fields are you looking for?

Schools- to be honest- if you’re middle of the road frum you’re chances aren’t so high. YDT is a very homogeneous group. Space and resources are very limited so priority will go to those who are more kollel style. Yes there are a few families that are “middle of the road” but the majority are not. Many of the parents don’t have smart phones etc, they wear the frum style shoes, clothing etc.

I disagree with this. YDT is taking new families. What they are hesitant and "officially" not taking is transfers from HAC. Although they occasionally do if there are younger siblings in YDT. I heard that for next year they are having three parallel classes for pre-k for both boys and girls. YDT is overall more yeshivish but there are definitely some who are not as yeshivish. Plenty of families have internet, smart phones etc. However they do have an internet policy for their parents and I don't believe that HAC does. I'm pretty sure that you would not find a rebbi or principal in YDT with a smartphone. Not the case in HAC.
Also HAC is mixed through kindergarten. Kindergarten in Cleveland is the grade before first grade also known as primary and pre-1a in tristate area. In YDT they are sep from four year olds. Grade before kindergarten.

amother
Dimgray

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 10:07 am
If you’re middle of the road you probably want university heights and HAC. Jobs aren’t like in Lakewood - salaries aren’t the inflated Lakewood type. If you want an office job you can probably find one but it won’t pay a lot. Maybe consider making a playgroup since people always seem to need.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 10:28 am
amother [ Canary ] wrote:
I disagree with this. YDT is taking new families. What they are hesitant and "officially" not taking is transfers from HAC. Although they occasionally do if there are younger siblings in YDT. I heard that for next year they are having three parallel classes for pre-k for both boys and girls. YDT is overall more yeshivish but there are definitely some who are not as yeshivish. Plenty of families have internet, smart phones etc. However they do have an internet policy for their parents and I don't believe that HAC does. I'm pretty sure that you would not find a rebbi or principal in YDT with a smartphone. Not the case in HAC.
Also HAC is mixed through kindergarten. Kindergarten in Cleveland is the grade before first grade also known as primary and pre-1a in tristate area. In YDT they are sep from four year olds. Grade before kindergarten.

As of this past year YDT was not taking new families because of a physical lack of space. I don't know if that will change next year. But we tried to get my son in, we are a new family and would have been fine sending our kids to either YDT or HAC, and they would have been fine with taking my SN son with a shadow, they simply didn't have space.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 10:29 am
You should definitely come visit. Housing is a little hard to come by right now, especially in UH. Also, cost of houses has gone up, not like 5 years ago. Another thing to keep in mind is that playgroups are really hard to find with long hours (read: past 2pm) so you would need to take that into account (or open one). Just to reiterate above, don't come without a job.
Re schools, we send to HAC and really love it. Definitely a mix of parent body but the hanhala is yeshivish leaning. You and your children can definitely find your "type" within there if that's what you want to do.
We moved here 5 years ago, you can pm me if you need more help or answers.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 10:57 am
We can always use more babysitting and playgroups here, if you're interested in doing that.
Schools are desperate for good teachers.
But the pay here is nothing like NY/NJ
If you're the right fit for YDT, I assume you should be able to get in because they are supposedly adding more classes. If you had older kids that would be more of an issue.
Local Jewish news is a good site to check out.
You can also call gesher or look on their website to find out about job opportunities.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 11:12 am
Thank you everyone for your replies!!!!!

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 1:14 pm
Hi, bumping this up and curious if you made the move and chose a school for your kids!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 1:19 pm
We have not yet made the move yet. Still working on finding jobs!!

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 1:54 pm
Oy good luck! We moved here just a few months ago Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating