Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
DH doesn't think I should get tested if I have symptoms
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 08 2022, 11:05 pm
I have been feeling sick all day. Not sure if it's covid or flu or both. Dh thinks there is no point in getting tested and just stay home for as long as I feel sick. If it's flu then I can be treated and whatever it is I will know how to proceed. Yet I also have no patience waiting by an urgent care for 2 hours. Advice?

amother
Peru

Post Sat, Jan 08 2022, 11:09 pm
He’s kinda right. I went to get tested because if it was strep I wanted medication, and it was Covid. It’s very annoying, with all of the phone calls and texts they do these days. They recommend five days at home, which I did anyway.
Tamiflu scares me so I wouldn’t take it. There is a cheap effective homeopathic solution for flu you can get on Amazon but I forgot what it was called.

amother
Ebony

Post Sat, Jan 08 2022, 11:12 pm
I already mentioned it on this site. There’s something called gunaflu that’s supposed to work amazing for flu. U can get it in the health food store of check for it on-line.

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 12:14 am
I wouldn't test either, I don't see the point. Just stay home if you're sick.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 12:19 am
I don't understand people who say not to test.
1. If it's strep, you need antibiotics
2. If it's flu, you might need tamiflu
3. If it's Covid and you're immunocompromised, you need the antibody treatment
4. If it's Covid, your husband and kids might be asymptomatic carriers.

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 12:21 am
If it's strep not a good idea to go untreated.

heidi

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 12:23 am
Now that Israel has backed off the official tests for most of the population I agree with your husband. If people are sick they should stay home. Why would I subject myself to 10 days in isolation when most of the world is fine with 5?

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 12:24 am
amother [ Peru ] wrote:
He’s kinda right. I went to get tested because if it was strep I wanted medication, and it was Covid. It’s very annoying, with all of the phone calls and texts they do these days. They recommend five days at home, which I did anyway.
Tamiflu scares me so I wouldn’t take it. There is a cheap effective homeopathic solution for flu you can get on Amazon but I forgot what it was called.

Oscollococcinum

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 12:31 am
amother [ Mayflower ] wrote:
If it's strep not a good idea to go untreated.

True, but why on earth would anyone jump to the idea they have strep when they don't feel well? Especially when strep throat isn't all that common in adults.

I wouldn't test. I would just treat the symptoms and rest. If you're not feeling better in a few days, then revisit the idea.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 12:35 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
True, but why on earth would anyone jump to the idea they have strep when they don't feel well? Especially when strep throat isn't all that common in adults.

I wouldn't test. I would just treat the symptoms and rest. If you're not feeling better in a few days, then revisit the idea.

Because sore throat is a main symptom of Omicron. Whenever I have sore throat, I test for strep.

amother
Peru

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 12:38 am
amother [ Amaranthus ] wrote:
Because sore throat is a main symptom of Omicron. Whenever I have sore throat, I test for strep.

In my experience it’s a very different kind of sore throat. More scratchy than gurgly

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 12:39 am
amother [ Amaranthus ] wrote:

If you personally have a history of repeat strep cases, that makes sense. For the average adult, that's an absurd thing to do for every sore throat. Strep is not so common in adults as children and is rarely the cause of a sore throat.

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 12:41 am
I agree just stay home. I don’t see the point. I don’t take tamiflu and strep feels very different.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 12:48 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
If you personally have a history of repeat strep cases, that makes sense. For the average adult, that's an absurd thing to do for every sore throat. Strep is not so common in adults as children and is rarely the cause of a sore throat.

I don't get sore throat every time I have a cold, so when I get it twice a year and it lasts a few days, I test.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 12:48 am
heidi wrote:
Now that Israel has backed off the official tests for most of the population I agree with your husband. If people are sick they should stay home. Why would I subject myself to 10 days in isolation when most of the world is fine with 5?

BTW, Israel is considering shortening bidud for infected people to 5 days.
https://www.haaretz.com/israel.....24296

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 1:40 am
heidi wrote:
Ive been very out of the loop with testing and all of that (havent had a need thankfully). Does this mean that if one of my children (all over 12 so all fully vaxxed) were to exposed to someone with corona, they cant be tested anymore? Or am I just not understanding this?

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 1:46 am
amother [ Peru ] wrote:

why does tamiflu scare you? what do I need to know that I don’t know? my doc usually recommends it. can you educate me?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 2:26 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
why does tamiflu scare you? what do I need to know that I don’t know? my doc usually recommends it. can you educate me?

Why don't you read the insert? There are a whole lot of possible side effects, all just for the benefit of hopefully shaving one day off of flu duration.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 4:17 am
amother [ Peru ] wrote:
In my experience it’s a very different kind of sore throat. More scratchy than gurgly

That was the sore throat I had on Friday! Very scratchy.
Also, wouldn't work need an official letter with what I have? If it's covid, many places don't take that out of pto or sick days.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 4:25 am
amother [ Nasturtium ] wrote:
Ive been very out of the loop with testing and all of that (havent had a need thankfully). Does this mean that if one of my children (all over 12 so all fully vaxxed) were to exposed to someone with corona, they cant be tested anymore? Or am I just not understanding this?

In Israel, anybody under 60 and without some sort of high risk health situation is supposed to have a rapid test instead of PCR when exposed to someone with corona.

There's an infographic flow chart here (it won't let me include the image):
https://www.gov.il/he/departme.....22-01
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics