Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Youngest age you started your child on ADHD meds?
Previous  1  2

amother
Bellflower

Post Sat, Jan 08 2022, 11:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My kid has candy maybe once a month

What horrible long term effects?
What natural options?

for me they were low memory skills.
Also lack of awareness in the world around me.
Some natural options is excerise get the kid really tired with that.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 08 2022, 11:38 pm
amother [ Grape ] wrote:
Curious about how you manage that too. But even if candy is just once a month, there are lots of other foods that can cause or exacerbate adhd symptoms.

Easy… I just don’t buy candy. If I buy a shabbos candy once a month, it’s those organic lollies with no food coloring.
I know other foods have plenty of sugar… yogurt, cereal etc
But dc is already a picky eater and will starve if I cut out every single food with sugar.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 08 2022, 11:40 pm
amother [ Bellflower ] wrote:
for me they were low memory skills.
Also lack of awareness in the world around me.
Some natural options is excerise get the kid really tired with that.

The kid doesn’t stop moving. Always on the go. No lack of exercise there

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 12:01 am
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=.....t=51s
ive got more if you want!

amother
Quince

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 12:13 am
Started at 5. No regrets! And I'm pretty "natural minded". But when the kid needs it, he needs it!

amother
Chambray

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 12:23 am
I have 2 ds who have been doing really well on meds for years. I'm so thankful we have this option. We started from age 6, but should have done earlier. They were both very behind in their reading skills and needed extra help to make up for the younger grades they missed out on due to lack of attention.

Rabbit613

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 1:37 am
My son was 6 when he started.

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 1:39 am
Just started my two kids on it.
8 year old - absolutely amazing success. First dose given was too much but after 2 days saw it made my kid too emotional/whining. Called doc who lowered it. My kid can concentrate. Focus. Sit still. I wish I started it last year. I think it was neglectful I waited this long. Smart kid but previously couldnt focus to complete the work. Now is getting the grades that show how much my kid knows. PTC were amazing. No more "smart but cant sit still" comments. No real side effects on this dose.

Kid #2 is 5. 1st med didnt work. Tried different dose. now on 2nd med. Not sure it is helping a ton but just started the second med. This kid was diagnosed as ADHD but is more distracted than fidgety/hyperactive.

My kids seem to eat the same as they always did.

yc

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 2:45 am
re - excercise - the fact that a kid is on the move does not equal exercise. they need concentrated exercise around 1/2 an hour straight preferably morning and noon. I know people have seen success with this, but its hard to keep up.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 2:55 am
Personally for me the meds took away all my drive and will. I became very sad. They added a anti depressant to take as well then, in first grade.

I wasn't depressed anymore but I still lacked any motivation, and was super low energy. I became very lazy and quiet.

Whenever I brought up to my doctors or parents I didn't feel like having fun, or had any energy or motivation to have fun they were all like "Yay the meds are working!".

These are some of the common side affects, that it takes the kids motivation and all their energy rather than just taking a bit of hyperactivity out.

In addition to almost every person who was on medication for ADHD as a child now is overweight and struggles with it and has a terrible metabolism - due to many years of an outside pill suppressing our hunger for hours a day.

Excersize, therapy, going off sugar, can be helpful. And the struggle with concentration isn't the end of the world. There's lots of professions and jobs that are more hands on anyway that need people with endless energy.

Success10

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 3:14 am
There are pros to cons with everything, you need to weigh them on a scale to make a choice. Meds are no different. But you have to weigh the pros and cons to the CHILD, weigh the two sides with his interests in mind. What is worse for the child, the side effects of the meds, or the feeling of being "not good enough" or getting yelled at all day for being wild?

Also, the attitude of giving the medicine needs to be done right, or it can traumatize the child. If the child gets the feeling he is being medicated since he is faulty and needs to be repaired, that will scar him for life. It's better to tell him it's a supplement to help him bring out his best. And all successes after that should be attributed to HIM working hard, not to the medicine.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 3:24 am
amother [ Oatmeal ] wrote:
Personally for me the meds took away all my drive and will. I became very sad. They added a anti depressant to take as well then, in first grade.

I wasn't depressed anymore but I still lacked any motivation, and was super low energy. I became very lazy and quiet.

Whenever I brought up to my doctors or parents I didn't feel like having fun, or had any energy or motivation to have fun they were all like "Yay the meds are working!".

These are some of the common side affects, that it takes the kids motivation and all their energy rather than just taking a bit of hyperactivity out.

In addition to almost every person who was on medication for ADHD as a child now is overweight and struggles with it and has a terrible metabolism - due to many years of an outside pill suppressing our hunger for hours a day.

Excersize, therapy, going off sugar, can be helpful. And the struggle with concentration isn't the end of the world. There's lots of professions and jobs that are more hands on anyway that need people with endless energy.

This is totally legitimate as your personal experience. It isn't everone's experience. My husband has severe ADHD that was undiagnosed and untreated as a child, and I can't tell you the direction his life went in as a result of this. He's now on medication as an adult and it has been the best thing ever for him in so many ways. Two of my children have been diagnosed as also severe ADHD and we've started them on medication for it and it has helped them so so so much. Neither my husband nor my kids have problems eating it on; it really depends on the individual's metabolism. When we first started my children on it we were very cautious because they are still growing and need to eat meals and snacks throughout the day, but it was fine and they don't have any appetite changes.
What I'm saying is it's very individual, how the medication can help/not help and what the potential side effects are really really depend on the person, so you have to figure it out yourself with the help of a dr.

ora_43

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 3:59 am
A lot of this (discussion here) isn't a meds/no meds thing, it's about parents listening to kids.

Whether or not you give meds you need to be aware of what's going on. Be willing to start meds if you see that your child is really struggling and unhappy, or hurting those around them. Be willing to stop meds, or try new meds, if you see that your child is unhappy, apathetic, or bothered by the side effects.

And be aware that meds alone don't do much for long-term outcomes. Meds and non-medical intervention (eg therapy focused on executive functioning skills) is the best combination for long-term outcomes.

imasinger

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 5:46 am
I had 2 kids, 12 years apart in age, who started meds at 5. One found it a relief and a help, the other reacted to side effects and didn't benefit as much from the trial. So, one continued, and the other didn't.

IME, if you trust your prescriber to be reasonably cautious, and you are able to note the child's reaction thoroughly, you'll be okay.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers