Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Have you ever looked through the garbage to find something?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 08 2022, 8:55 pm
To find something that you lost? Please share your stories!

boogiebabe

Post Sat, Jan 08 2022, 9:00 pm
Yes. As a kid, lost my retainer at a fast food place once in Brooklyn. We emptied the whole trash bin to find it. Did not find it. Cost $200 to replace in 1986. I paid my parents back for that one.

Also, kids book report assignment sheets were trashed b4 shabbos. BH we have separate paper recycling bin so not too messy to find it.

amother
Begonia

Post Sat, Jan 08 2022, 9:01 pm
My diamond ring. I found it.

amother
Honey

Post Sat, Jan 08 2022, 9:12 pm
Too many times 🙈

My shabbos cutlery is real silver. Too many times to count, we realize ld we were missing a piece after shabbos - so digging through the garbage is what's gotta happen. So far, we still have a full set 👍

amother
Foxglove

Post Sat, Jan 08 2022, 9:15 pm
My best friend's retainer.
A students hearing aid .
Both found .

essie14

Post Sat, Jan 08 2022, 9:37 pm
Yes, pieces of my real silver silverware have accidentally gotten thrown away. I wash and count before the trash gets taken out.

Notsobusy

Post Sat, Jan 08 2022, 9:48 pm
Yes. The worst was when I accidentally threw out a few checks that we received at work.

At home I've gone looking for my kid's Invisalign. I used to throw out my knives and peelers all the time and have to go looking for them. I learned how to double check before throwing out peels so that I don't do that anymore.

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Jan 08 2022, 10:02 pm
Yes, for my kids- if they complain that their (project/leftovers/toy that I thought was a scrap of garbage) gets thrown out

dankbar

Post Sat, Jan 08 2022, 10:08 pm
My little girl once threw her shoes out of the porch. A neighbor found one next to the garbage bin. I went thru public garbage to find the other one, but no luck.

amother
Poppy

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 11:10 am
Hasn’t everyone?
And do you mean your own kitchen garbage, a municipal litter basket on the street, your apartment building’s collective garbage can or a dumpster behind a restaurant or a hospital?

clowny

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 11:52 am
Yes just last week. The bottom part of my very expensive diamond necklace broke off shabbos during the meal. I put it on the corner counter. When I wanted to go take it Motzei shabbos to put it away, it was not there. I realized that one of my kids was looking through the mail on that spot and probably accidentally it went to the garbage with some garbage mail. I looked through the garbage ( was no fun with all the leftover shabbos food) and sure enough I found it.

fleetwood

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 11:53 am
Who hasn't??!!!

zaq

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 1:34 pm
I should do this after every meal. We have lost enough silverware to require replacing two entire sets, and even the new sets are now missing pieces that get dropped into the trash after being used to scrape dishes clean of food residue. The lost stainless I don't mourn over, but the lost heirloom silverplate is a different story.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics