Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
BIG CHESSED OPPORTUNITY

Crayon210

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 7:22 pm
Two stuck together pages of my well-loved Spice and Spirit Cookbook just ripped! If someone could type up the recipes for:

Kasha Varnishkas
Toasted Barley with Mushrooms
Homemade Hand-Rolled Pasta

on pages 319-321, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Tizku l'mitzvos!!

proudmom

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 7:47 pm
Quote:
Kasha Varnishkas

2 tbs oil
1 onoin diced
1 cup diced mushrooms (optional)
1 cup whole kasha
1 egg beaten
2 cups boiling soup stock or water
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups of bowtle noodles, cooked and drained
2 tbsp margarine

heat oil in a 2 quart saucepan over medium flame. Saute onoin and mushrooms until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add kasha. stir in beaten egg. saute for 2 min. stirring with fork or wooden spoon until grains are separated.

At same time in a 1 quart saucepan bring liquid to a boil. Pour boiling liquid over kasa. add seasonings and simmer covered for 10 to 15 minutes until kasha has absorbed all the liquid and is dry and fluffy.

In serving bowl, combine drained noodles with kasha, while both are still warm. Melt in 2 tbsp. margarine and mix until everything is combined

serve warn

4-6 servings

Last edited by proudmom on Wed, Sep 14 2005, 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

proudmom

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 7:51 pm
Quote:
Toasted Barley with Mushrooms

2/3 cup barley
4 cups of boiling water
2 beef bouillon cubes
3 tbsp margarine
1/4 pound fresh mushrooms sliced
1/8 cup scallions sliced
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp thyme crushed
dash of peeper

Preheat oven to 350

place barley on ungreased baking sheet and bake for 20 min until light golden brown, shaking pan occasionally.

stir toasted barley into 4 cups boiling water. add bouillin cubes. reduce heat cover and simmer 1 hour until tender, stirring occasionally. drain and set aside.

in a 10 inch skillet melt margarin and cook mushrooms, scallions. and garlic until tender about 3 -5 min.

add drained barley salt thyme and pepper. continue cookiing over medium heat 2 - 3 minutes util heated through

serve hot.

4 servings

roza

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 7:58 pm
can above be freezed???

miriam

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 9:00 pm
Proudmom, you are so sweet for typing all that!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 10:22 pm
HANDMADE HAND-ROLLED PASTA

1 3/4 cups flour or 1 2/3 cups Whole wheat flour
2 extra large eggs, beaten
2 tsp oil
pinch of salt

Place flour in a mound on a board and make a well in the center. Add eggs, oil and salt. Mix together w/ a fork and incorporate flour from inner rim of well. When 1/2 the flour has been incorporated, start to knead, using the palms of the hand and not the fiongers. Use most of the flour, then sift remaining flour and set aside. Knead dough for 10 min. divide in two portions.

TO ROLL: Dust board with remaining sifted flour. roll out each ball of dough as thin as possible, roating the round of dough, while rolling. when the round becomes too large to move by hand, lightly drape the sheet of dough on the rolling pin, then, holding other end of sheet, reverse direction of rolling pin.

cut in 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch wide strips. if pasta is not to be used immediately, dry for sevearl hours. Place strips on a clean cloth and allow to dry 30 minutes. store in a brown paperbag in fridge. Dough can be stored up to 2 weeks.

Fresh pasta cooks more quickly than commencial. Place in boiling water and begin checking after 5 minutes. Whole-wheat pasta needs more cooking time.

Variation: this recipe is also ideal for preparation in pasta machine. prepare dough and follow manufacturer's directions.

ENJOY! If I made any bad typos and it needs clarification, PM me.
kol tuv.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 10:23 pm
Thank you brachad and proudmom, you are great!!

queen

Post Thu, Sep 15 2005, 12:26 am
seeing this thread (and the fast responses) brought a smile to my face
Queen
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen