Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby stays up til 2 or 3am

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 1:13 am
my baby's internal clock is off. at 11 weeks old, we start our night at 2 or 3 am. I tried everything. bath at 9, bottle at 10. close the lights etc. she pops up 5 minutes later. she usually sleeps late ( including feedings of course). I try waking her 9am and bringing her to noise and light to tell her it's day, but it doesn't seem to translate to the next night.. please help !

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 1:41 am
What is she doing from 6-2 am?
9 am is too late to be starting bedtime. Start at 7.
After her morning feed - around 6/7/8, wake her up and play with her. Make sure she sees sunlight throughout the day.

amother
Camellia

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 1:45 am
I had this with my oldest. He'd be up until crazy hours at night and I'd let him sleep in the morning because he's so tired, he was up all night!

I learned that I have to start waking him up 15 minutes earlier every morning and starting bedtime 15 minutes earlier until it's at a decent time. It's not fun but after a week or two of this it's worth it!

amother
Springgreen

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 7:35 am
Try keeping him on the dark when you want his nighttime to be. And keep him in the light during the day. Even during nap time. It can be lamp light so it’s not harsh for napping. The light can help set his circadian rhythm.

I also don’t nap babies in their crib/bassinet till nighttime sleep
Is established. Instead I’ll do it in a bassinet carriage or my bed or a pack n play downstairs etc.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 8:44 am
amother [ Caramel ] wrote:
After her morning feed - around 6/7/8, wake her up and play with her. Make sure she sees sunlight throughout the day.

I do that....she's downstairs in my house with lots of noise and kids..naps in a bassinet there.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 8:49 am
Bedtime is way too late. At that age bedtime can be as early as 530/6. Even 7 is too late imo but I know a lot of people do that. Your baby may be able to nap with noise and people running around but she isn’t getting good quality sleep and her body isn’t going to know it’s nighttime.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 8:50 am
amother [ NeonPurple ] wrote:
Bedtime is way too late. At that age bedtime can be as early as 530/6. Even 7 is too late imo but I know a lot of people do that. Your baby may be able to nap with noise and people running around but she isn’t getting good quality sleep and her body isn’t going to know it’s nighttime.

but I put her in a dark room at 11pm and she wakes up 10 minutes later. ..

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 8:57 am
amother [ Caramel ] wrote:

Oh no, my baby is 14 weeks and has been settling very early most nights (too early at times but still better than too late) I just go to bed very early. He settles at around 8.30/9 often so ill try to be in bed at 10ish. Could you try settling her earlier?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 10:15 am
amother [ Magnolia ] wrote:
Oh no, my baby is 14 weeks and has been settling very early most nights (too early at times but still better than too late) I just go to bed very early. He settles at around 8.30/9 often so ill try to be in bed at 10ish. Could you try settling her earlier?

it doesn't work. she legit naps at 11pm or 12am , even in a dark room with all of her needs met..

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 11:08 am
I had the exact same thing with my baby who’s now 10 weeks old. I kept trying to put him to sleep at 7pm but he screamed every time I turned the lights down and put him in his crib. After a few days I realised that he isn’t going to suddenly start his night 6 or 7 hours earlier than he is used to.
I started bringing his bedtime 15 minutes earlier every night and he is now going to sleep at around 12 instead of 3am. Hopefully in another couple of weeks it’ll be 7pm, but it’s a gradual process.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 3:30 pm
You need to look into 'wake windows'.
With my toddler, if I push off her nap for too long, she won't want to go to sleep at all since she hits her second wind.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 3:34 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
You need to look into 'wake windows'.
With my toddler, if I push off her nap for too long, she won't want to go to sleep at all since she hits her second wind.

This. My baby woke from a long nap at 7ish this evening, he's almost ready to go down for the night. It's now 8.35 here.
Also mine often cluster feeds, or has a bigger feed than normal before bed. So maybe try giving her more to drink even if you've been at it all evening. I find that after my baby brings up wind he wants to drink more.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 3:34 pm
My first baby liked to go to bed at 1 a.m. for months. So did my husband as a baby. It's rough. We did come through it in the end...

amother
Clover

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 4:26 pm
I actually don’t mind it my baby does it. I am happy to not have to wake at night for him and we both go back to sleep in morning. He did move up his bedtime to about 12:30 at 12 weeks.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 8:43 pm
amother [ Clover ] wrote:
I actually don’t mind it my baby does it. I am happy to not have to wake at night for him and we both go back to sleep in morning. He did move up his bedtime to about 12:30 at 12 weeks.

this is great if u can sleep late. I can't. other obligations. I tried waking her at 9am for the day yesterday and this morning and didn't help last night. let's see about tonight...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics