Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Playdates with older siblings at home

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 9:52 am
What's your approach for letting your kids play at a friend's house when there are older (high school/young adult) male siblings who are at home and/or in charge of watching them?

Does it depend on the age/maturity of each child? How well you know the family? Do you avoid completely? Just trying to see what other people do in this situation in terms of keeping their kids safe. Thank you

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 9:54 am
For playdates, a parent should be supervising. Not an older sibling of either gender.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 9:55 am
I would not allow this. Better safe than sorry

amother
Cognac

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 9:58 am
How would you even know? Do you ask who will be in the house, what are the ages, who will be supervising etc..? I met parents at school events so I assume I would be fine sending to their house, but I have no idea how many siblings they have, and I don't think most people say my son will be babysitting.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 9:59 am
amother [ Cognac ] wrote:
How would you even know? Do you ask who will be in the house, what are the ages, who will be supervising etc..? I met parents at school events so I assume I would be fine sending to their house, but I have no idea how many siblings they have, and I don't think most people say my son will be babysitting.

I'd ask, will you be home during the playdate? And I wouldn't send a kid to a friend's house if I don't know the family at all.

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 10:02 am
If it’s a neighbors house and they can come straight home if there’s an issue I would allow it. Otherwise no.

amother
Milk

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 10:33 am
I probably wouldn't be comfortable if the older brother was babysitting. I probably would let of an older sister who I knew was responsible was babysitting.
But not to send because older brother will be home?? So how are kids with older brothers ever supposed to have a playdate? That's ridiculous
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children