Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Husband's job offer - yay or nay
Previous  1  2

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 9:46 pm
amother [ Mayflower ] wrote:
Remember to take health insurance into account - private insurance is really expensive these days Sad think 25k for a family with 3 kids

I was wondering why nobody mentioned this! Easily can be worth even more than 25K

amother
Blushpink

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 9:47 pm
I would keep the government job. Job security and a pension are woth a lot. Not to mention the no stress factor which is priceless. I used to work in the private sector for a high paying job. Was stressful and I brought home a ton of work. Switched to a city job because I needed the health insurance and wanted a pension plan. I don't regret my decision bh. I don't think of my job outside work and have minimal stress on the job. Was definitely worth the decrease in pay. If you will be keeping your same hours what would be the benefit in his switching jobs?

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 9:47 pm
amother [ Skyblue ] wrote:
My brother left a very high paying job with tremendous potential at a huge law firm to work for the government. He said he’d never go back.
Then: used to leave work before 11 pm some months it was the walk of shame.
Now: if you work 5 min after 5 your boss calls to ask why.
Then: stress,stress,stress
Now: if you are too stressed tell me what you’d like to give up
Then: jump on a plane with 5 min notice for a week
Now: work from home 3 days a week.
Then: never saw kids or wife always focused on work
Now: sit down to dinner at 5:39 with kids
Then: had to ask for raises. Show brought in clients
Now: scheduled and expected raises snd promotions
Then: health + benefits
How: same + pension snd health insurance with retirement.

He said he will never go back.

Very similar story to one of my relatives. Money isn’t always worth it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 9:58 pm
A lot of food for thought. Ty to everyone for taking the time to respond. It's appealing to me because I've been the primary breadwinner for years and am dying to cut back. But despite great government insurance benefits, we currently utilize my even better health insurance. It would take a huge leap in income for my husband for me to cut back. I dream of him making it big so I can play a smaller role out of the home and be more present in the home and with my family. Based on a lot of the feedback, this is still a dream and not based in any reality. $30000 is not gonna cut it and is only going to make life harder for me, not easier by any stretch.

amother
Steel

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 10:01 pm
How about looking for another job that’s more money and not as demanding as the one you described? It’s a candidate market right now. Let him explore more options.

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 10:09 pm
If he doesn’t take the job, how do you plan to pay for the increased tuition? That won’t just disappear.

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 11:07 pm
Anyone saying to take the new job clearly has no idea what working for the government is like.

You will never get fired.
You will get the best health insurance.
You get a 401k and a pension.
You get to enjoy your life.

I can't even believe anyone would consider giving that up for a measly 30K pretax.

He should actively look within the government for something more local or something with more remote options. Until then stick it out.

amother
Skyblue

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 11:21 pm
To echo above poster once your in the govt there is potential. Is there a portal he can look for openings?

amother
Geranium

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 12:55 am
When COVID happened, my husband gained 15 hours a week and we saved $7200 a year in commuting.

Also, he’s made in the past, almost $200 k a year in an unstable job and $120k in a stable one with good benefits. In my opinion, if he’d had the stable one all along, we’d have been a lot further along, financially.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 1:05 am
My two cents.

1. Never give up a government job.

2. From experience if he is using the 1.5 hour commute to learn, he should NOT give that up. It will be so hard for you to give up that 3 hours a day for him to learn when he's at home more for the first time in ages and you want to spend time with him, the kids want to spend time with him, you want more help around the house, etc. If he's got 3 hours to learn each day uninterrupted, KEEP IT. Both of you will find it hard to keep those hours in the schedule when they're no longer built into it.

3. I would definitely veto trading a low-stress job for DH for a high-stress job for him, unless it significantly reduced my workload to make up for it. Otherwise in our experience it just ruins your home life because both parents are overworked and overstressed and money isn't that much better either.

breindy s

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 4:09 pm
current job sounds amazing
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics