Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Way to bake pareve pasta instead of boil on stove?

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 1:00 pm
I'm making so many kinds of pasta I would be so much easier to throw multiple pans in the oven instead of boiling multiple pots.

With full permission granted to throw tomatoes, is there a way to bake pasta? Tomato sauce is not an option.

TIA

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 1:11 pm
What sort of pastas are you referring to, that you usually make?
There are options for baked ziti, lasagna, or stuffed manicotti, without boiling the pasta first.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 1:21 pm
I would prefer plain. We don't do tomato or dairy.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 1:21 pm
Spaghetti, elbows...

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 1:23 pm
I make pasta in the instant pot 1 lb pasta to 4 cups of water or broth. I would think you could do the same in the oven. Worst case scenario you waste 2 dollars if it comes out lousy.

Plonis

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 1:24 pm
If the water is already boiling, you can pour it into a pan, put in the pasta, and cover. No need to keep the pan on the stove.

(I cook pasta by boiling a pot of water, shutting the flame, and letting the pasta sit covered in the hot water for the amount of time it says on the package.)

If you do it without boiling the water first, the pasta will probably be mushy.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 1:45 pm
Plonis wrote:
If the water is already boiling, you can pour it into a pan, put in the pasta, and cover. No need to keep the pan on the stove.

(I cook pasta by boiling a pot of water, shutting the flame, and letting the pasta sit covered in the hot water for the amount of time it says on the package.)

If you do it without boiling the water first, the pasta will probably be mushy.

This is helpful. I can boil water and then split into a bunch of pans. Perfect! Thank you all!!

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 2:34 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
This is helpful. I can boil water and then split into a bunch of pans. Perfect! Thank you all!!

Pouring water into a cold pot is not going to be the same as shutting off the heat under a pot of boiling water. It will lose some heat when being poured, and the cold pan will also take some of the heat away. You may need to experiment a bit.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 2:38 pm
I make one big pot of plain pasta. Drain in the sink. While pasta is still boiling hot, I spoon it onto bowls and add all topping (cheese also melts right in). No need for multiple pots.

Plonis

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 2:38 pm
A foil pan shouldn't lose that much heat, but maybe put into a preheated oven just in case? That should make up for any heat loss. (As always, put your foil pan onto a cookie sheet for stability.)

4g01o

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 2:47 pm
Yes, there are 2 recipes in the dinner done cookbook that bake pasta in the oven!
I love them both. One uses cheese, the other meat.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 3:57 pm
It worked out. For regular pasta it was fine. Other kinds need some tweaking but there's what to work with.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes