Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Setting spray that works

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 11:11 am
can u tell me one that really helps your makeup last?
TIA

hodeez

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 11:13 am
I don't know if any of them make a difference, but the top 2 are the Mac setting spray and urban decay all nighter

shyner

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 11:20 am
Charlotte tilbury airbrush flawless
I used to use urban decay and now its only Charlotte tilbury, it’s worth the difference in price.

sweetart

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 12:29 pm
I use the Charlotte Tilbury setting spray as well, and while it’s wet take a puff with some translucent powder and kind of press it in. Gives a really nice finish and lasts well.

tweety1

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 12:44 pm
I was recommended one on here and I'm very happy with it. Maybe search my posts I don't remember off hand. It's a black bottle.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 12:51 pm
Skindinavia bridal

tweety1

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 9:43 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Skindinavia bridal

Thank you. Thats the one.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 10:33 pm
I know this may be controversial- but setting sprays don't really prolong makeup wear all that much.

First of all, there are 2 types of sprays:
One has some moisturizing qualities and melds the products on your face together to get a smooth, healthy, natural look. (Ex: Mac fix+, pixi milky mist) This will not prolong your makeup at all.

The other has more alcohol in it and is supposed to help your makeup last longer by creating a light shield of sorts on top of all the products.(Ex: Urban decay all nighter setting spray, model in a bottle)

The issue is that oil from your skin is what breaks down makeup- not anything from the air or atmosphere. So putting something on top of your makeup won't help much to prevent oil from underneath from breaking it up.

The best way to get longer lasting makeup is through skin prep and powdering. Moisturizing if your skin is dry. Using a grippy/sticky primer like the milk hydro grip. Using a matte, oil reducing primer if you are oily. Using one of those alcohol based sprays before your face products can actually help more than spraying after all the products are on your face. Powdering where needed (t zone or all over depending on how oily you are).

Don't get me wrong- I love a good spray. But I don't think it does much to get makeup to last longer.

shyner

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 3:42 am
amother [ Dandelion ] wrote:
I know this may be controversial- but setting sprays don't really prolong makeup wear all that much.

First of all, there are 2 types of sprays:
One has some moisturizing qualities and melds the products on your face together to get a smooth, healthy, natural look. (Ex: Mac fix+, pixi milky mist) This will not prolong your makeup at all.

The other has more alcohol in it and is supposed to help your makeup last longer by creating a light shield of sorts on top of all the products.(Ex: Urban decay all nighter setting spray, model in a bottle)

The issue is that oil from your skin is what breaks down makeup- not anything from the air or atmosphere. So putting something on top of your makeup won't help much to prevent oil from underneath from breaking it up.

The best way to get longer lasting makeup is through skin prep and powdering. Moisturizing if your skin is dry. Using a grippy/sticky primer like the milk hydro grip. Using a matte, oil reducing primer if you are oily. Using one of those alcohol based sprays before your face products can actually help more than spraying after all the products are on your face. Powdering where needed (t zone or all over depending on how oily you are).

Don't get me wrong- I love a good spray. But I don't think it does much to get makeup to last longer.

You are right I find that the Charlotte tilbury spray works best if I spray before applying foundation and then a little spray after applying foundation and powder but before the rest of the face products.

Esty 4

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 9:44 am
do you spray it on primer or before?

Esty 4

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:21 am
?

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:22 am
Esty 4 wrote:

As a finishing spray once all your makeup is done.
(I spray before mascara because the mascara can get wet from it and smudge)

shyner

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:57 am
Esty 4 wrote:

I do mine over the primer and then sometimes also after foundation and setting powder, spraying it onto your foundation brush or beauty blender also prevents it from absorbing product

Esty 4

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 11:03 am
thnx!

amother
Daffodil

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 11:28 am
A little off topic, but does anyone find that using face primer does anything? I don’t notice a difference (but I do notice a tremendous difference with urban decay eye primer in making eyeshadow last much longer)

I also “set” with an expensive translucent powder for shabbos and I’m not sure if it makes a difference?

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 11:36 am
amother [ Daffodil ] wrote:
A little off topic, but does anyone find that using face primer does anything? I don’t notice a difference (but I do notice a tremendous difference with urban decay eye primer in making eyeshadow last much longer)

I also “set” with an expensive translucent powder for shabbos and I’m not sure if it makes a difference?

What kind of primer do you want? Smoothing? Moisturizing? Mattifying? Increase wear tike?

You don't need expensive powder to set makeup- maybelline has a great loose powder in a square container (can't remember exact name) that I use to set my makeup.

But - if you have dryer skin, it could be powdering wont make much of a difference for you. You could just powder under your eyes, around your nose, between your brows very lightly.

amother
Daffodil

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 12:30 pm
amother [ Dandelion ] wrote:
What kind of primer do you want? Smoothing? Moisturizing? Mattifying? Increase wear tike?

You don't need expensive powder to set makeup- maybelline has a great loose powder in a square container (can't remember exact name) that I use to set my makeup.

But - if you have dryer skin, it could be powdering wont make much of a difference for you. You could just powder under your eyes, around your nose, between your brows very lightly.

I guess I’m not really sure what primer is supposed to do? And the setting powder I thought is supposed to make your makeup last well. But I guess my makeup lasts well even without it? Or is that not the point of setting powder?

Esty 4

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 1:07 pm
primer is supposed to help your makeup stay on longer. The one I use is also a pore minimizer, great if you have large pores.

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 1:08 pm
amother [ Daffodil ] wrote:
I guess I’m not really sure what primer is supposed to do? And the setting powder I thought is supposed to make your makeup last well. But I guess my makeup lasts well even without it? Or is that not the point of setting powder?

I am not so into primer either. I find many foundations look great and last on their own. One primer I really do like and see a difference with is the Milk Hydro Grip. It makes my skin look smoother and I think it helps my foundation last longer.

Primer can help prep your skin for foundation. Alot of them are simply moisturizer in a primer tube. Some have silicone in them and fill in pores for a really smooth look. Some have oil absorbing properties. If your skin is pretty neutral (not oily or dry), you can probably just skip it.

And as far as powder goes, I personally need powder. Otherwise, my face is a oily disgusting mess, my mascara melts onto my cheeks, things gets messy. But if you don't find these things happening, you can probably skip it too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics