Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Need ideas of suppers very traditional heimish type
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 4:24 pm
Okay so I’m yeshivish but serve my family American style suppers not heimish. But I have people coming to stay that are traditional heimish type eaters. Would love menu plans for what to serve. I hear this family starts every supper with soup, is that a must? How many courses are they going to be used to for weeknight suppers?? Looking for easy quick recipes that my kids will like too. Thanks!

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 4:27 pm
I don't think you need to serve them what they're used to eating every night.
That said, I serve soup every night in the winter. You can do soup, shnitzel, potato, pasta, or rice side dish & roasted veggies.

amother
Birch

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 4:27 pm
This is very sweet of you. But maybe they will happy to have a break from routine in their food.

leilatov1

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 4:33 pm
Raizyscooking on Instagram

sequoia

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 4:37 pm
Soup is great if you make a huge pot and have it for a few days. A new soup every day? No way! Who has time for that.

In my old apartment here in Kyiv the upstairs neighbor used to brag “I make borshch every day!” I was like ummm I think you’re doing it wrong.

Chickensoupprof

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 4:42 pm
Raizy cooking is amazing 🥲 Ehm, Ive stayed a few weeks ago at Chernobyl chassidim really heimish and sweet, start with soup, have a salad, potatoes some green veggies and some protein as schnitzel or something

devorah1231

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 4:47 pm
Um heimish to me means like roast chicken and farfel, meat and potatoes, no?

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 4:47 pm
I am not a very traditional person but after my baby was born I got meals from the local refuah org and it was very heimish. Each day was a soup and fresh fruit. The menu was meatballs and rice, schitzel with roasted potatoes, chicken on the bone with a starch maybe more potatoes and the last day was baked ziti/lasagna. There was a vegetable side dish with meal.

amother
Heather

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 4:51 pm
My mom cooks like this. Very old style, everything is fried. Supper consists of using at least 2 if not 3 pots:) not for me!!

She starts with a cut up fruit and then comes soup (two types a week, each served twice)
Then a main like chicken, chopped meat, cutlet (usually cooked or fried) along with a side of rice or potatoes or Farful. Then she some times serves a veggie. Either steamed green beans, cooked broccoli. And also usually has a salad in the table either Israeli or easy ceaser salad.

Can you tell my mom doesn’t work:)

jk7

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 5:08 pm
Vegetable or mushroom barley soup, Roasted chicken (just shmeared with spices and oil), rice, letcho

lamplighter

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 5:11 pm
Soup, fresh fruit or compote, roast chicken or flanken or shnitzel with potatoes or farfel, green beans, cake and tea.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 5:11 pm
sequoia wrote:
Soup is great if you make a huge pot and have it for a few days. A new soup every day? No way! Who has time for that.

In my old apartment here in Kyiv the upstairs neighbor used to brag “I make borshch every day!” I was like ummm I think you’re doing it wrong.

I make soup once a week for the week.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 5:15 pm
lamplighter wrote:
Soup, fresh fruit or compote, roast chicken or flanken or shnitzel with potatoes or farfel, green beans, cake and tea.

To me courses are such a Shabbos thing! But do you know what this thread is reminding of me of! The noon dinner that Mama served her girls in All-of-a-Kind Family. That was probably heimish cooking, right?

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 5:16 pm
Whoever can post one pot heimish food recipes will save me a lot for time and energy

funmother

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 5:20 pm
I serve food every night its so filling and eas. I make it on Sundays label it days of the week and freeze. I serve with a main. Each night something else. Sunday grounds beef/chicken/ turkey or something else. different type each week , Tuesday fingers or cutlets- a different type each week. Wednesday milichig-I don't know why its not a minhag but something your supposed to do. Thursday chicken on the bone served with a different type of kugles. Sometime we have salad but its not good on my kids stomach if we have certain vegetables soups. Each night we have either potatoes, rice or noodles sometimes with additional vegetables.Dessert. Which is melons, compote, like applesauce. Milichig day we have a milichig extra special dessert.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 5:22 pm
I serve very traditional suppers.
I serve a soup, main, two sides and a dessert every night one of these combinations.

Soup
Mushroom barley
Beets
Bean
Red linzen
Potato

Main
Broiled or baked chicken bottoms
Fashirt (this is ground chicken patties)
Liver or pipiglech
Cutlets

Sides
Potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Beets
Letcho
Frozen broccoli, cauliflower or asparagus
Squash
Rice
Lukshen with cabbage
Coleslaw

Dessert
Compote
Applesauce
Juice

For milchigs once a week I will make fish balls, breaded gentle fish, veggie patties or tuna patties and as a side a cheesecake, cheese latkes, baked potatoes with butter and sour cream, cottage cheese with lukshen, or some veggies, and milk with cocoa or even greez for dessert.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 5:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Okay so I’m yeshivish but serve my family American style suppers not heimish. But I have people coming to stay that are traditional heimish type eaters. Would love menu plans for what to serve. I hear this family starts every supper with soup, is that a must? How many courses are they going to be used to for weeknight suppers?? Looking for easy quick recipes that my kids will like too. Thanks!

Soup is nice as appetiser especially in cold weather. Make a nice split pea soup or vegetable soup with bones and meat.
Mains can be Hungarian goulash, chicken and potatoes, meat lasagna, moussaka, grilled chicken cutlets… potato kugel, veggie kugel, roasted vegetable (eggplant, zucchini, onions, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower tossed with olive oil and spices),salad…

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 5:58 pm
Hungarian dishes/traditional/old style
Paprikash chicken & potatoes
Frank's & potatoes
Turkey goulash
Liver with ground beans
Chopped liver
Letcho
Squash & eggs
Cabbage & noodles, pasta with crumbs, letcho rice, shlishkes (you can buy frozen & just reheat), farfel,
Chicken patties
Stuffed cabbage
Potato blintzes with mushroom sauce
Veg turnovers with mushroom sauce
Veg or chicken or chopped liver blintzes with mushroom sauce
Tomato soup with nukrlech
You can also do beef stew with veg like peppers/mushroom & drop nukerlech into the sauce/gravy
Potato knishes
Stuffed chicken bottoms
Apple turnovers
Potato bourekas
Apple kugel
Lukshen kugel
Breaded cauliflower
Potato kugel
Veg soup
Potato soup
White bean soup
Meat loaf
Potato salad
Cole slaw
Grashitze

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 6:13 pm
I’m fascinated by this thread! How do I know if I serve American or heimish food?

I wish I could see a list of both.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 6:30 pm
amother [ Obsidian ] wrote:
I’m fascinated by this thread! How do I know if I serve American or heimish food?

I wish I could see a list of both.

Exactly! I mean I know my food is really heimish and Hungarian but I'm curious what "Yeshivish" means in food...
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen