Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How do I get 4 yr old dd to take antibiotics

aimhabanim

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 4:57 pm
Bribery and hiding it in something like soda isn’t working

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 5:01 pm
Pill or liquid? The liquids are usually nasty. You can ask the compounding pharmacy for a different flavor.

DD was always happy to take a pill if it was in a cup of chocolate pudding, especially since I let her finish the whole cup. The pudding makes the pill slippery, so it doesn't get stuck in the throat and trigger a gag reflex. Just in case it gets stuck anyway, have a glass of water on standby to wash it down.

Once they get past the initial resistance, and can be celebrated as a "big boy/girl" kids are usually a lot more compliant. It just takes a little practice in the beginning.

frumama

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 6:34 pm
When my kids were that age and wouldn't take antibiotics, I found giving it to them with ice cream was the only way to get them to take it. Worked especially well if the medicine was white. It blends right in with vanilla. I usually let them have a bite or 2 of ice cream plain after they got the full dose in. Good luck and refuah shaleima

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 6:40 pm
Pinch their nose so they can’t smell/taste it.
Immediately after swallowing, put a cup with juice to their mouth and only leave the nose go after the first sip of the drink.

bsy

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 6:46 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Pinch their nose so they can’t smell/taste it.
Immediately after swallowing, put a cup with juice to their mouth and only leave the nose go after the first sip of the drink.

This. My kids take antibiotics often. I always check with the Dr if a particular medicine is gross or not. My kids love the bubblegum amoxicillin bh

amother
Zinnia

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 7:42 pm
Get the capsules and empty the powder into chocolate milk
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics