Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Please think of all the other children and the Morahs !
1  2  3  4  Next

If your child has fever have you ever given them Tylenol or Motrin and sent them to school withou waiting 24 hours?
Yes  
 15%  [ 31 ]
No  
 84%  [ 172 ]
Total Votes : 203

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 3:08 pm
I’m sick at home and miserable . My two classes of students are missing at least four days of learning - at the minimum !
Please - if your child is sick -fever, goopy runny nose, cough, red/ pink eyes , excessive sneezing , sore throat , lethargic , droopy eyes, etc. Can you please please keep them home ! Yes I know it’s terrible for children to miss a couple days of preschool , or you can’t miss work , but now two whole classes are missing out because I’m sick !
Rant over .

amother
Latte

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 3:27 pm
I agree with you, but will your school be offering tuition reduction for those parents who don't have paid sick time?
I didn't think so.

amother
Petunia

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 3:29 pm
amother [ Latte ] wrote:
I agree with you, but will your school be offering tuition reduction for those parents who don't have paid sick time?
I didn't think so.

Which school shuts down just because the teacher is sick? Aren't there substitute teachers?

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 3:33 pm
amother [ Latte ] wrote:
I didn't think so.

I don’t get paid sick time. If I have to take off I have to take off, and that’s it. Yea, it stinks, but that’s life.

amother
Cherry

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 3:34 pm
amother [ Latte ] wrote:
I didn't think so.

What does this have to do with anything?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 3:39 pm
amother [ Latte ] wrote:
I didn't think so.
Huh?

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 3:53 pm
amother [ Latte ] wrote:
I didn't think so.

So we should have to miss school unpaid instead when you get us or our kids sick?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 4:00 pm
I don’t think anyone can make the decision based on paid sick time . Children are human . They get sick, someone has to watch them. At home . That’s part of being a parent .
School is not shut down . I dragged myself out of bed to send in some skeleton lesson plans for my assistant to carry out. Only one is there because the other one also got sick from our contagious students. And no. There.Are.No.Subs. They are all sick . I heard in Lakewood one school brought in the HS girls to watch the kids. Some schools sent classes home because there was no coverage . We have a few part time assistants who’ve been taking turns pitching in but it’s very ish.
And a sub is not a Morah . It’s very bedieved.

Esty 4

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 4:20 pm
sending your kids within 24 hours of having fever is irresponsible imho (yes I work and no I don't get paid for sick leave but that still doesn't make it right).

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 4:23 pm
amother [ Latte ] wrote:
I didn't think so.

Huh? This is an excuse to be an irresponsible parent and make your child suffer in school when they really belong at home?

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 7:14 pm
Curious what you guys consider a fever. My daycare told me that my baby had 100.1 this afternoon. He’s on the mend from a virus (I kept her home all last week) , is usually super sensitive if he’s sick and gets Motrin round the clock, he’s been happy go lucky since Motzei shabbos so it’s just the temperature. I think it’s low enough but I’m second guessing myself…

Also, it’s really hard to keep kids home when others don’t, it’s a cycle, my kids keep getting sick because others send in sick kids so I have to keep them home every two weeks. Only to come drop them off and see two Ill looking kids there… bh my daycare started taking temps and sending home but still exposes everyone…

amother
Maize

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 7:31 pm
OMG! I could've written this. So many times I'll call the parent to say their kid has fever and they act surprised when the kids told Me "my mommy gave me orange medicine before school" BUSTED

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 7:45 pm
amother [ Latte ] wrote:
I didn't think so.

Well if it spreads to other kids and they end up sick and/or spread to their parents then you have more parents stuck having to take off, maybe unpaid. How is that fair to those kids/parents?

tweety1

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 7:51 pm
I can't believe there are some people who actually voted yes. I just can not wrap my head around this.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 7:54 pm
amother [ Maize ] wrote:
OMG! I could've written this. So many times I'll call the parent to say their kid has fever and they act surprised when the kids told Me "my mommy gave me orange medicine before school" BUSTED

YES YES YES !!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 7:55 pm
tweety1 wrote:
I can't believe there are some people who actually voted yes. I just can not wrap my head around this.

See above !

amother
Mintgreen

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 7:56 pm
I dont send my kid when sick. I dont Medicate when they have a fever and then send them. If no fever and I know it is allergies I will give a little claritin and send. If I kept my kids home for every sniffle during allergy season we would never be in school. And yes, we have been told by doctors it is allergies. (And yes, I am testing my kids for covid if they have a fever, cough etc).
I dont get enough sick time off when my kids get sick but that is life with kids.

At the same time, if schools dont have enough subs during the FLU season then yes, we should get compensated as parents. It is our job to keep our kids home when sick and the schools job to make sure they have subs. They should not close school because of that. If there was a particular outbreak (covid etc) then close. But not because they couldnt get subs.

amother
Stone

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:24 pm
I voted yes but I never sent kids in if they had fever that day; I just don't wait a full 24 hours. If a kid has fever Sunday morning and after taking Tylenol is perfectly fine the rest of the day, I would send to school the next day. If he had fever in the last 12-18 hours, he would not be in school. I don't see anything magic about 24 hours.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:26 pm
I agree 100% and have my family has accumulated close to a month of sick days all together.
That being said, you are not going to change anything. There are certain communities where it is totally ok to send your kids to school sick and you can talk till youre blue and no one will listen or care, just think youre neurotic.

justforfun87

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:30 pm
Maybe before Covid I was more lax about cold symptoms but not since Covid. If my kid has a fever though they would be home. I would feel bad forcing my kid into class with a fever for their sake. For anyone asking anything over 100 is considered a fever.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics